The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How would you connect a front parking unit please (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305376)

Fred Byrne 3rd June 2020 13:11

How would you connect a front parking unit please

I am blessed (or crippled) with only one eye. The only problem that arises therefrom is judging the distance you are from the car in front when parking. I purchased a parking unit but wonder where is the best place to get a 12volt supply from in the engine compartment. :duh:

Fred

macafee2 3rd June 2020 16:17

fuse box by the nearside wing seems an easy location to get to.

macafee2

COLVERT 4th June 2020 18:10

Do you intend to switch the unit off and on from inside the car ??

Or do you mean to leave it permanently on when the ignition is on ??

baxlin 5th June 2020 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2816634)
Do you intend to switch the unit off and on from inside the car ??

Or do you mean to leave it permanently on when the ignition is on ??

That was going to be my question as well. The aftermarket ones I fitted on my 75 cried wolf so many times in traffic I wired a switch into the circuit - quite simple, the hardest bit was finding a place to site the switch itself.

I eventually used a miniature push on/push off jobbie located in the steering column lower shroud, so as not to have an obviously a/mkt switch spoil the dashboard.

COLVERT 5th June 2020 13:31

I see that Fred looked in today but as yet no response to our posts.----:shrug:

Fred Byrne 6th June 2020 17:41

I spent the day installing a replacement engine fan and replacing all the associated bits and pieces hence my silence.
I eventually decided to break into the fog lamps' circuit. This means when I need the parking aid I switch on the side lamps and front fog lamps. A bit crazy, but eventually I shall probably take your advice and see if i can use one of the circuits from the engine fusebox. The trouble with that is that most of those circuits are perpetually alive. I need a supply that is only alive when the ignition is switched on. I want to avoid having to trail a wire from the fusebox that is inside the driving compartment unless there is some easy way to do it without drilling holes in the structure..
:mad:

raykay 7th June 2020 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Byrne (Post 2817024)
I need a supply that is only alive when the ignition is switched on.

Purple/Brown cable to the screen washer pump?

Fred Byrne 7th June 2020 17:14

I didn't realise that the screen washer pump was switched on the ground side. I'm afraid that it's too late now. Unless I have to take the fron bumper off again in which case I'll use that supply. Very many thanks for the suggestion. It is certainly very well worth knowing.:duh: