The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   springs,wait until they snap or buy spares (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292090)

macafee2 21st January 2019 08:02

springs,wait until they snap or buy spares

Front and rear suspension springs. Do I wait until they snap and then buy replacements or buy spares now?

Towing a caravan puts extra stress on the rear springs.

How likely are front and rear springs to snap? Is that a "How long is a piece of string ?" question?

macafee2

philm 21st January 2019 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2704313)
Front and rear suspension springs. Do I wait until they snap and then buy replacements or buy spares now?

Towing a caravan puts extra stress on the rear springs.

How likely are front and rear springs to snap? Is that a "How long is a piece of string ?" question?

macafee2

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:duh:

derek v 21st January 2019 09:07

You never know do you. My 2.5 went in for MOT and service last year and everything was fine. I asked them to check everything because my grandchildren go in the car quite a lot and i also tow the caravan on it. A few weeks after that it went to have couple of little jobs done. I had a phone call to say you need to look at this. The front off side spring had snapped in half. So you never know

macafee2 21st January 2019 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by philm (Post 2704323)
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:duh:

yes, wait till they snap or buy spares now?

macafee2

greendriver 21st January 2019 11:02

You'll realise the answer when it happens....

stocktake 21st January 2019 11:08

Always nice to be prepared if you can afford to have stuff sat around that you may/may not need and you are prepared to take a hit on the price if you eventually sell.
I would wait for when there are special offers on, Recently I and others manged to purchase a pair of OEM rear springs for a saloon from Rimmers for under £60 delivered.

macafee2 21st January 2019 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2704337)
Always nice to be prepared if you can afford to have stuff sat around that you may/may not need and you are prepared to take a hit on the price if you eventually sell.
I would wait for when there are special offers on, Recently I and others manged to purchase a pair of OEM rear springs for a saloon from Rimmers for under £60 delivered.

if that was the rear's for the saloon, so did I :)

Now I dont know if to get fronts and a set for the Tourer

macafee2

Rick-sta 21st January 2019 16:17

No harm in keeping a set on the shelf, especially if you haven't changed the springs before and don't know when they were last changed. Also this time of the year is more common for springs to snap.

My dad has just had a rear one snap in one place, so will need to replace that now.

respace 21st January 2019 16:31

I know there is considerable debate about the springs on here, in my view they are more prone to breaking than others. I base this on the fact that in all my years driving I've only ever had two break both on the 75.
One thing i would add is that many garages are refusing to fit parts not supplied by them so unless you can do it yourself, carrying spares may not help.

topman 21st January 2019 16:51

I wouldn't bother, if you were to keep spares just in case someone would have rooms full of spares.

I'm not aware of a shortage of them, so just wait until they go.