The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hammerite ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318850)

roverbarmy 25th April 2022 17:45

Hammerite ?

Just used some Hammerite. What have they done to it? There's no gloss and it looks like it will not be serviceable like the "old stuff"? It's not water based but behaves like a lot of the new "environmentally friendly" tat paints that seem to have arrived. I've had to put a coat of spray lacquer over it to make it look at all presentable. (I've used it on the back of my wheels!!!).:shrug:

MSS 25th April 2022 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2929836)
Just used some Hammerite. What have they done to it? There's no gloss and it looks like it will not be serviceable like the "old stuff"? It's not water based but behaves like a lot of the new "environmentally friendly" tat paints that seem to have arrived. I've had to put a coat of spray lacquer over it to make it look at all presentable. (I've used it on the back of my wheels!!!).:shrug:

Yes it's nothing like the old stuff.

I miss lead based paints myself. :drool4:

torque2me 25th April 2022 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2929836)

Yes, I believe they have changed the formula but cannot remember to what. It is for environmental reasons.

Kev

bikerdude666 25th April 2022 21:21

The last time I used it, it was awful, left a patchy finish, didn’t cover very well at all, and had a satin sort of finish.

I forget what it was now, but marinabrian recommended some paint to me, and it was great, covered really well and had a nice shiny smooth finish. I’m fairly sure it was Xylene based.

macafee2 25th April 2022 22:53

what version did you use? I cant recall what tin/version I got recently but it seems very good. Previous plain black stuff has been very poor. To clean your paint brush, diesel does the job
If not exposed to sunlight, por15 is hard to beat

macafee2

trikey 26th April 2022 07:19

I know a man who works at the factory where it’s made, H&S killed off the proper Hammerite years ago I’m afraid.

roverbarmy 26th April 2022 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2929881)
what version did you use? I cant recall what tin/version I got recently but it seems very good. Previous plain black stuff has been very poor. To clean your paint brush, diesel does the job
If not exposed to sunlight, por15 is hard to beat

macafee2

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2929896)
I know a man who works at the factory where it’s made, H&S killed off the proper Hammerite years ago I’m afraid.

I used the newly supplied silver. I cleaned the brush with WD40, then soap and water, so knew it wasn't what it was!

The old Hammerite would spread itself and dry with a terrific gloss. This stuff was like painting mud!

Why am I not surprised! Progress!!!:duh::getmecoat:

bikerdude666 27th April 2022 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2929896)

I don't know exactly how long ago, as it was before my time, but apparently the base for hammertoe used to be made in the alkyd plant where I work, the old tank for it only got taken out a couple of years back. When things used to need painting, or if someone wanted some for home, I've heard they'd take a keg down, run out some of the base and then pop into the pigment plant and get what colour they wanted...

coab 28th April 2022 05:50

Isnt Dynax the best for undersealing? Read some rave reviews on here.

roverbarmy 29th April 2022 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by coab (Post 2930063)
Isnt Dynax the best for undersealing? Read some rave reviews on here.

It wasn't for undersealing but for general use where it might be seen.(by me and the MOT man!);)