The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Drive to Athens (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317685)

buchanan 7th February 2022 23:54

Drive to Athens

Any one driven from the UK to Athens, i intend to end up in Crete but any advise for the first leg would be great.

Southern Star 8th February 2022 06:57

I've done it in a truck a long time ago, the Ancona-Patras ferry used to be the way to go although overland is possibly easier now more of the transit countries are in the eu.

trikey 8th February 2022 18:31

I have been contemplating a drive to Corfu in the 75 as I fancy a warm holiday with the dog without subjecting her to flights.

Southern Star 8th February 2022 18:41

It would be interesting to know the furthest-flung place any forumite has ever driven to in their Rover 75/ MG ZT. I've done some pretty epic road trips in an articulated lorry but 175 miles is the furthest I've ever done in the Rover.

trikey 8th February 2022 18:47

Maxi_Crawf did a fairly epic European trip in his 190 a few years ago.

maxi_crawf 8th February 2022 19:54

I did a European tour with my two lads in the 190 in 2018,
Harwich to the Hook of Holland then Holland, Belgium, France (overnight in Lyon) then down to Cannes (stayed overnight) then Monte Carlo, took the coast road through France and Italy we drove through Genoa 2 weeks after the bridge collapsed there, down to Pisa (stayed overnight) then north to Milan (overnight stop) then Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany (stayed overnight in Munich) then Dusseldorf (stayed overnight) then back to the Hook of Holland to Harwich.

2,848 miles in a week, used no water or oil but about £70 a day in petrol, so we got as far south as Pisa and east as Munich.

I have a three year rolling plan,

Year 1, Norway north of the arctic circle.
2, Iceland via the faroe islands.
3, The edge of the Sahara desert through Morocco.

I say do it.

maxi_crawf 8th February 2022 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by buchanan (Post 2919647)
Any one driven from the UK to Athens, i intend to end up in Crete but any advise for the first leg would be great.

Like Most things its in the preparation (the 6 p's) everything can be researched/checked online, I had all our overnight stops booked on line, you don't even need to speak the lingo but a bit helps, virtually everyone speaks a smattering of English, you can check on the RAC and AA website for everything you need in each individual country, the rules of the road vary in every country, most of them use the Euro.

Anything specific I can help with let me know.

Raven Black 8th February 2022 20:16

Long trip

A chap did London to split in Croatia in 2019, in a Rover 75 club he bought for £500. After he got it back he offered it for sale on forum. Subsequently scrapped it. Some may remember was at the July 19 clandon park show.

maxi_crawf 9th February 2022 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven Black (Post 2919776)
A chap did London to split in Croatia in 2019, in a Rover 75 club he bought for £500. After he got it back he offered it for sale on forum. Subsequently scrapped it. Some may remember was at the July 19 clandon park show.

I paid £500 for my 190, still have it and have no intention of selling it :)

Southern Star 9th February 2022 09:05

I looked into doing a trip to Iceland a few years ago. A return ferry trip from Denmark with a car and two passengers was over £1,000 (and another £200 for a cabin) though so it didn't go any further than the research stage.