The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Roxy rear ended and written off! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301081)

ALPACA 25th November 2019 14:05

Roxy rear ended and written off!

Have owned Roxyfor ten years now, and a couple of years ago my wife took her over after my dad (WUZERK here on the forum)passed away, leaving me his identical 75 Connie SE, Bluebelle.

My Wife loves Roxy and both cars are naturally very sentimental as dad did so much work on them both. Anyway, she was rear ended on the commute home a couple of nights ago, ironically by car containing a work colleague who's girlfriend was driving. I knew Roxy would be written off, and today had confirmation. A grand in valuation less an excess of 300 quid. Parkers say 385 private and 975 dealer, so it seems fair to me.

So once they give us a buy back price, we will try and find a body shop who will do the work. Needs a complete new rear bumper and spraying to HFF green, possibly one or more reversing sensors, the fittings and the rear lower wing pulled out, smoothed and resprayed. I know a new primer'd bumper can be sourced from Rimmer Bros for 285.00, so thats a start.

Always paid top price for insurance, but I still can't help but think it's so unfair, through no fault of my wife's we will now be without her car for a while, and severely out of pocket once we've had the work done. Will have to pay for hire car as it won't come under insurance, nor did the wife get a hire car as the assessors said they could not supply an automatic and wrote the car off on the photographs I sent them. I guess it all comes down to the joys of motoring..:mad: Positives are, my wife wasn't hurt at all, and there's a damn good chance the old girl will be back on the road soon.... :duh:.. Roxy that is, not the wife :eek:

UPDATE: 25th November 2019

Just to update the story, I have bought Roxy back for Ninety quid and Pat will be refunded the excess when all is done and dusted as she was completely free of blame.

I've approached a company recommended by garage that MOT and service my two 75's, photographs sent and hopefully I will get a yes and a quote soon. Insurance wise my wife has to have the car MOT'd again after work completed to prove it's roadworthiness/safety compliance I guess.

I can't source and fit the parts myself as I'm just not technically good enough with the DIY/repairs, and with welding involved and panel work and respraying, that rules me out of the equation. So as it stands I have 910 quid towards repairs, and hopefully after some inconvenience, Roxy will be back on the road sometime in the near future.

UPDATE JANUARY 2nd 2020

Roxy had to have a new MOT for insurance purposes, and she is now back with us, looking absolutely fabulous. They did a great job at ' Barney Sands', and so 'The beast' (as everyone calls her), lives to fight another day. Excess repaid by insurance company as well.

roverbarmy 25th November 2019 14:19

Sorry to hear. I have an alloy rear bump section (for under the bumper) and some rear sensors if you need them from my previous Mk 2.:shrug:Mike

Avulon 25th November 2019 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALPACA (Post 2778014)
...she was rear ended on the commute home a couple of nights ago, ironically by car containing a work colleague who's girlfriend was driving. ... A grand in valuation less an excess of 300 quid. Parkers say 385 private and 975 dealer, so it seems fair to me.

Excuse my confusion, rear ended by another driver - how does excess factor in? Or have you made the classic mistake of making a claim from your own insurer instead of the third party responsible?

another_clean_sheet 25th November 2019 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2778021)
Excuse my confusion, rear ended by another driver - how does excess factor in? Or have you made the classic mistake of making a claim from your own insurer instead of the third party responsible?

Irrespective of going through your insurance company as it is a "no fault" claim and they should recover the £1000 from the 3rd party and your no claims discount should not be affected

wraymond 25th November 2019 15:04

All your legitimate costs should be recoverable from the 3rd Party's insurer. That would include car hire costs if your vehicle was essential transport. That would, as said above, include any excess because it's not your insurer that is responsible for indemnity.

macafee2 25th November 2019 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet (Post 2778022)
Irrespective of going through your insurance company as it is a "no fault" claim and they should recover the £1000 from the 3rd party and your no claims discount should not be affected

if you make a claim your insurance is normally effected. The premium goes up but the no claims may stay the same or be reduced after the claim so next year you have less no claims.

macafee2

macafee2 25th November 2019 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2778021)

I don't quite understand why making a claim to the third party insurance is any difference then making it via your own. In fact one insurance company wont deal with a member of the public, only another insurance company, well that's what that insurance company said

macafee2

macafee2 25th November 2019 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALPACA (Post 2778014)
Have owned Roxyfor ten years now, and a couple of years ago my wife took her over after my dad (WUZERK here on the forum)passed away, leaving me his identical 75 Connie SE, Bluebelle.

My Wife loves Roxy and both cars are naturally very sentimental as dad did so much work on them both. Anyway, she was rear ended on the commute home a couple of nights ago, ironically by car containing a work colleague who's girlfriend was driving. I knew Roxy would be written off, and today had confirmation. A grand in valuation less an excess of 300 quid. Parkers say 385 private and 975 dealer, so it seems fair to me.

So once they give us a buy back price, we will try and find a body shop who will do the work. Needs a complete new rear bumper and spraying to HFF green, possibly one or more reversing sensors, the fittings and the rear lower wing pulled out, smoothed and resprayed. I know a new primer'd bumper can be sourced from Rimmer Bros for 285.00, so thats a start.

Always paid top price for insurance, but I still can't help but think it's so unfair, through no fault of my wife's we will now be without her car for a while, and severely out of pocket once we've had the work done. Will have to pay for hire car as it won't come under insurance, nor did the wife get a hire car as the assessors said they could not supply an automatic and wrote the car off on the photographs I sent them. I guess it all comes down to the joys of motoring..:mad: Positives are, my wife wasn't hurt at all, and there's a damn good chance the old girl will be back on the road soon.... :duh:.. Roxy that is, not the wife :eek:

sorry to hear of the incident but glad your wife is ok even if a little shaken

macafee2

another_clean_sheet 25th November 2019 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2778026)
sorry to hear of the incident but glad your wife is ok even if a little shaken

macafee2

I had a no fault claim with LV= last year and they recovered all costs from 3rd party and my premium and no claims discount was unaffected. However it is quite common for the premium to go up as they say you are more likely to make another claim.

ALPACA 25th November 2019 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2778015)
Sorry to hear. I have an alloy rear bump section (for under the bumper) and some rear sensors if you need them from my previous Mk 2.:shrug:Mike

That's exceptionally kind of you to offer, thank you. We are waiting for the buy back quote and then hopefully we can get moving with repairs. I am to DIY and car repairs what Susan Boyle is to a beauty contest...:eek: So I'm hoping to get a body shop to do the work. Ive been recommended one by the comapany who do our MOT's and repairs so fingers crossed.

Again, thanks so much, very kind of you :}