The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Definitive list of parts required to replace all coolant hoses, 2.5 engine (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299008)

john116 6th September 2019 09:19

Definitive list of parts required to replace all coolant hoses, 2.5 engine

Hi - as the new owner of a 2001 75, that still has all original coolant hoses in it,is there somewhere I can find a definitive list of all the hoses I would need to buy to replace them all?

John

SD1too 6th September 2019 09:58

John,

Your hoses are fine. My car's older than yours and I've never had to renew a single one. What's more, my SD1 is 35 years old and is also running on all its original coolant hoses except one (renewed as a precaution due to external lubricant contamination).

So relax and enjoy your Rover 75! :D

Simon

john116 6th September 2019 10:03

And wow, British rubber must be better than Australian rubber :-)

Avulon 6th September 2019 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2760370)
John,

Your hoses are fine. My car's older than yours and I've never had to renew a single one. What's more, my SD1 is 35 years old and is also running on all its original coolant hoses except one (renewed as a precaution due to external lubricant contamination).

So relax and enjoy your Rover 75! :D

Simon

Simon, You must be clairvoyant.

To try and answer the original question. A good place to start would be here:
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001584

Yorkshire GOC 6th September 2019 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by john116 (Post 2760360)
Hi - as the new owner of a 2001 75, that still has all original coolant hoses in it,is there somewhere I can find a definitive list of all the hoses I would need to buy to replace them all?

John

I have had a large hose disintegrate on my 1.8t literally crumbled -as Trikey can attest - - so i have swopped out all the original rubber hose for silicone performance hose - you can tell the difference between the 15 year old rubber hose and silicone hose.

vitesse 6th September 2019 14:56

My daughter recently bought a V6, with a slight leak in the bleed screw hose (NLA), tried removing the damaged bit and bridging with pipe and jubilee clips, held for 2 days, the “rubber” was disintegrating. Replaced with a spare. Only shortly after the 2nd large themostat to rad hose split. Replaced with a s/h one and working fine. The ones on the “new” car were soft and plastic like, the replacements of a similar age had a good feel to them. Why I'm not sure, one clue might be that the new car had been run with only the highest speed fan working, probably for quite some time.

Regards

SD1too 6th September 2019 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2760422)
I have had a large hose disintegrate on my 1.8t literally crumbled ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2760427)
... the “rubber” was disintegrating ... Why I'm not sure, one clue might be that the new car had been run with only the highest speed fan working, probably for quite some time.

Yes, it's interesting that you both have experience of hoses failing and I don't. There must be many others in the same position as me as we don't get many reports of this kind. With that in mind I still think that it wouldn't be money wisely spent if John chose wholesale renewal on the fear that something might happen.

Simon

Lovel 6th September 2019 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2760436)
Yes, it's interesting that you both have experience of hoses failing and I don't. There must be many others in the same position as me as we don't get many reports of this kind. With that in mind I still think that it wouldn't be money wisely spent if John chose wholesale renewal on the fear that something might happen.

Simon

The 1.8T has a totally different manufacture process for the hose compared to the V6. The 1.8T hoses are made in a jam rolly polly sort of process, and in a relatively short time leaches coolant via the sharp edge of the hose clip which cuts into it. Or the plastic t-piece collapses over the years from an overzealous jubilee clip user and allows the weeping to start too.