The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   HMRC Tax investigation insurance. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299618)

RPWC 30th September 2019 14:46

HMRC Tax investigation insurance.

Is it worth it? My accountants keep sending me info regarding this, inviting me to take up the insurance offer to pay their fees in any investigation. I already have part of this cover with my public liability insurer, but obviously they use their own accountant to represent the client, rather than my own. So as per question, is it worth it for about 120 quid a year!

Gate Keeper 30th September 2019 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2765679)
Is it worth it? My accountants keep sending me info regarding this, inviting me to take up the insurance offer to pay their fees in any investigation. I already have part of this cover with my public liability insurer, but obviously they use their own accountant to represent the client, rather than my own. So as per question, is it worth it for about 120 quid a year!

I have had 3 investigations Richard. My tax accountants fees were £400 per year which included representing my interests and dealing with the appeals.

stevestrat 30th September 2019 15:25

One of my neighbours was (in theory) a painter and decorator, very much an "Arthur Daley" type, into a bit of everything. I remember when the tax man descended on him years ago, huge bill for unpaid income tax. The dust had barely settled when the VAT man knocked on the door :eek:

RPWC 30th September 2019 15:43

Well I pay HMRC per month, to avoid a huge bill at the end of each year. I have been self employed for 30 years and. touch wood never been investigated. I am always prompt with my books to the accountant and dont claim for every single item spent. I also keep my account for business seperate from the household joint account, so they can see everything I have earned and spent.

RPWC 30th September 2019 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2765690)
One of my neighbours was (in theory) a painter and decorator, very much an "Arthur Daley" type, into a bit of everything. I remember when the tax man descended on him years ago, huge bill for unpaid income tax. The dust had barely settled when the VAT man knocked on the door :eek:

No fears of the vat man bothering me, I'm nowhere near that threshold.

RPWC 30th September 2019 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2765679)

Edit..The insurance cost is 120 quid a year for up to 100,000 in fees, but any extra tax or fines, I have to pay myself.

Gate Keeper 30th September 2019 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2765695)
Well I pay HMRC per month, to avoid a huge bill at the end of each year. I have been self employed for 30 years and. touch wood never been investigated. I am always prompt with my books to the accountant and dont claim for every single item spent. I also keep my account for business seperate from the household joint account, so they can see everything I have earned and spent.

You appear to be organised Richard. 30 years of self employment without an investigation is brilliant I suspect the £120 cover would be wasted. In 2014, I had a quiet word with a member who worked as a tax inspector about the 3 investigations and he said I should have made a complaint for harassment, I was only a little fish in a big pond.

Vossy 30th September 2019 16:45

In 25 years as self employed I was looked at only once by the taxman and that was because of a mix up over NIC payments.
The VAT man however is different :mad: 4 investigations in that time, and no amount of complaining to the VAT people was worth it.

That type of insurance isn't worth it, a good accountant will include problems in their annual fees for you, as you say you still have to find any extra tax/penalties anyway.

As my accountant used to say "always pay a bit each year, if your taking from them then they will get interested."

chillyphil 1st October 2019 10:21

If you plan to buy this, have a look at joining the FSB.
They include this insurance with the membership.
Any trustworthy accountant would have told you this.

RPWC 1st October 2019 10:38

What is the fsb.?