The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Radiator Fans - Do I have a problem? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34039)

Harko 1st March 2009 01:26

Radiator Fans - Do I have a problem?

Hi,

I run a ZT-t 190 and had the MOT done yesterday morning (Sat) at a garage 2 miles away.

The car had hardly warmed up by the time I had arrived. When I collected the car and drove home, the engine temp had only just reached normal temp (9 '0' clock), but when I parked and before switching off, the fan cut in on high. (Don't think I had climate control/heating on - it was still nippy out and inside temp of car comfortable). This I thought was strange - 2 miles and fan full on after just reaching normal temp. Not normal I thought. I hardly ever hear the fans come on.

When I got in the house, I checked the MOT (the car passed with no problems BTW) but I see that they did make a note that during the emissions test - the fan cut in at high speed. Strange note on the MOT but alarm bells are now ringing.

Do I have a problem?

(I checked the oil and water + other MOT pre checks on Friday afternoon and all seemed well.)

Harko.

Dragrad 1st March 2009 01:32

Strange note indeed.... Have you checked the sensor for the fan activation? Could be a simple fix ;):shrug:

Harko 1st March 2009 01:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 292127)
Strange note indeed.... Have you checked the sensor for the fan activation? Could be a simple fix ;):shrug:

Uh? OK... I don't know anything about servicing vehicles ;o) (Computers yes - Cars and Bikes - No!)

Ok, thanks for the info. You say there might be a problem brewing and to check the sensor for fan activation. I presume that there is a sticky for this, so I will get back when I have had a quick search.

Regards,

Harko

Dragrad 1st March 2009 01:45

Further to my last post - It sounds that you have got a good garage, in that they make a note of items that do not directly affect the MoT test.:D

You've been "lurking" for a while on the forum? Why not subscribe for a measly £3.00 pa and get access to the more information about our great cars? :D Subscribed members get access to much more technical info. than a "guest" member :D:D

Just click on the subscribe button (above) :):) And change your forum name to RED ;)

Harko 1st March 2009 02:21

Had a quick search...Any advice on

1. Quick check for fan operation
2. Sensor... Is this the sensor that can be monitored from the dash or is it a different one?

Harko

PS> Yep - the garage I go to is a commercial vehicle MOT station that also does cars. It was recommended to me by a friend and have been using them for about ten years. Always friendly and helpful (even when I had to get my car in in short notice (like 1 hour) coz my MOT was out of date (only by 2 days when I didn't remember)

T-Cut 1st March 2009 10:50

Radiator fans are pretty well understood nowadays. Anyone wondering what they are about should read this as a starting point: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=1371

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ide/Idiot2.gif

Harko 1st March 2009 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 292130)

You've been "lurking" for a while on the forum? Why not subscribe for a measly £3.00 pa and get access to the more information about our great cars? :D Subscribed members get access to much more technical info. than a "guest" member :D:D

Hi Dragrad, Thanks for the prompt. Nice to see that you can still get value for money at some places :)

Harko.

(Edit: Now I have subscribed... why is my name not in red?).... Ah! Solution found...refresh the page :))

tony g 1st March 2009 21:36

when a car is in for an m.o.t it is left running for most of the test, plus when they do the C.O the tester has to hold the rev's pretty hi ! and all this with a car thats not moving !!!! so they tend to get hot. just a thought ?

Harko 1st March 2009 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony g (Post 292464)
when a car is in for an m.o.t it is left running for most of the test, plus when they do the C.O the tester has to hold the rev's pretty hi ! and all this with a car thats not moving !!!! so they tend to get hot. just a thought ?

Yes, this thought did cross my mind however as I was waiting in the coffee lounge, I heard my car, and they only seemed to run it for a min or so.

I have yet to have a look at the car as I am on nights (shift worker) and don't finish nights till Friday morning.

Hopefully I will have time to take a look over the weekend.

Harko.

PS> The car is not used much during the week - my wife uses public transport and I use my motorbike.