The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   hmmm don't think these are original. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305359)

simondhopkins 2nd June 2020 20:15

hmmm don't think these are original.

My mk1 connie se I picked up the other day has xenon headlights on dipped beam but halogens for main beam.

Now I'm thinking that someone has retrofitted a hid kit to the car as it has manual lamp adjust and in toaf its saying xenon not fitted.

I would of thought xenons are on mainbeam as well as dipped or am i wrong?

Never had xenons before (and to be honest I don't really like being blinded all the time by the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- things on other cars :mad: ).

trikey 2nd June 2020 20:18

Only Xenon on dipped beam, main beam is just a standard bulb (Unless you visit Rick Sta and get one of his quad conversions done)

Rick-sta 2nd June 2020 21:27

Factory xenons only have xenon dipped beams. Main beams are halogen.

Factory xenons generally have"xenon technology" written on the black lens inserts. The way ro know for sure is to check for metal ballasts on the back of the head lights.

baxlin 3rd June 2020 03:32

Didn’t I read somewhere the reason is main beam ‘Headlight flashing’, and xenons don’t ‘flash’ ie they aren’t instantaneous, needing to warm up?

simondhopkins 3rd June 2020 07:25

Well, I checked for the self leveling arms that xenons need from factory and they're not there and there is a manual level control in the car so I am concluding they were retrofitted.

Ah well, drove it last night in the dark for the first time and like the light so will keep them in.

Weekend job to refurb the lenses as milky, nice easy job.

Vossy 3rd June 2020 08:28

I do like the xenons on my car, my only wish is that the main beam was better than it is, I have replaced the bulbs with 100w MTEC's to match the xenons but they are still not brilliant, however, we are talking about old technology now.

Rick-sta 3rd June 2020 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxlin (Post 2816302)
Didn’t I read somewhere the reason is main beam ‘Headlight flashing’, and xenons don’t ‘flash’ ie they aren’t instantaneous, needing to warm up?

Old xenon technology couldnt flash due to the warm up time so couldnt be used as main beams. But xenon technology has advanced and have a much faster warm up rate good enough to use as main beams. All the quad xenon upgrades ive done flash the main beams effectively :)

baxlin 3rd June 2020 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2816340)
Old xenon technology couldnt flash due to the warm up time so couldnt be used as main beams. But xenon technology has advanced and have a much faster warm up rate good enough to use as main beams. All the quad xenon upgrades ive done flash the main beams effectively :)

Thanks for clarifying. Obviously I had no wish to cast doubt on your upgrades, apologies if you thought otherwise.

Malcolm

Rick-sta 3rd June 2020 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxlin (Post 2816377)
Thanks for clarifying. Obviously I had no wish to cast doubt on your upgrades, apologies if you thought otherwise.

Malcolm

No need to apologies I didn't think that at all :) just explaining that you're right with older xenon headlights such as the headlights for our cars, xenon technology at the time wasn't suitable for main beams, but modern stuff can handle it :)

mh007 3rd June 2020 12:55

Another sign of them being retrofitted is the lack of headlamp washers.....not all fit them during during the conversion.