The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Clutch info needed asap + automatic? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314983)

roverbeast75 29th August 2021 08:53

Clutch info needed asap + automatic?

My clutch pedal is stuck to the floor and won’t come up by itself anymore.

In quick summary what happened:

In april the car wouldn’t go into gear properly, changed the master cylinder and it was fine again

Then a noise since beginning of may started coming from the bell housing, my assumption is the flywheel since the car got a new clutch kit and new slave 50.000 km ago. Regardless, car shifted fine and the pedal was fine.

And now , last week, the rubber hose connected to the fuel filter got a cut in it and it started leaking diesel all over the place. After this, the shifter was very loose and spongy (found out that a mechanic last year didn’t actually replace the gear linkage cables but just used zip ties). So the cause for the shifter is known and I have cables in good condition ready to be installed.

However the pedal, was way softer than before the diesel leak. And now, a week after the leak, the pedal is completely dead. It just sticks to the floor and u cant put the car in gear.

I do not believe that it has nothing to do with the leak because before the diesel leak, the car shifted fine and the pedal was fine. There was always a slight noise from the bell housing but regardless it didn’t affect performance so far.

Is it correct to assume that maybe diesel leaked somewhere in the bell housing where it shouldn’t have and ruined the slave? Is that even possible?

And this brings me to my second question:

If the car needs a clutch again, then im just giving it for export and thinking about using that money to buy another rover 75 diesel but with an Automatic this time. It doesn’t make sense to spend 1000 euro on a clutch job if I can get a rover with less mileage for 1500 euro.

So I need to know how reliable the automatic is. Is it bulletproof? What do I need to look out for?

I found 1 rover 75 diesel with an automatic (only one here) it has 146.000 km on the clock.

Thanks for the help

dave lincs 29th August 2021 09:21

The automatic is very good only thing to do is change the fluid every 60000 miles or 4 years, I have known these gearboxes do well over 200000 miles with no problems

roverbarmy 29th August 2021 09:28

The auto gearboxes are very reliable. The only "weak point" (hardly worth mentioning due to rarity) is the occasional solenoid problem:-
Video link for similar box.

Method for change.

A change of fluid is also recommended for optimum longevity.;)

macafee2 29th August 2021 09:32

I doubt that diesel will be the cause of the problem.
Do a bit of fault finding, check the fluid level in the master cylinder, check around the master cylinder for fluid.

If fluid level good and no fluid around the master cylinder then I suspect an internal seal in the master has failed allowing fluid to bypass the seal and remain in the master cylinder.

If fluid low and wet around master, master has failed.

if dry around master and level low, slave has failed

even with checking about, if the level is low top it p and bleed the clutch system and see how that goes

good luck

macafee2

roverbeast75 30th August 2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2897667)
I doubt that diesel will be the cause of the problem.
Do a bit of fault finding, check the fluid level in the master cylinder, check around the master cylinder for fluid.

If fluid level good and no fluid around the master cylinder then I suspect an internal seal in the master has failed allowing fluid to bypass the seal and remain in the master cylinder.

If fluid low and wet around master, master has failed.

if dry around master and level low, slave has failed

even with checking about, if the level is low top it p and bleed the clutch system and see how that goes

good luck

macafee2

Checked the master. I think it has failed but I need a second opinion so I made a video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/JArpHGE2LA4?feature=share

U can see the foam is damp. Which makes me think its the fluid. At first I thought it was diesel but I didn’t smell the scent of it

macafee2 30th August 2021 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbeast75 (Post 2897833)
Checked the master. I think it has failed but I need a second opinion so I made a video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/JArpHGE2LA4?feature=share

U can see the foam is damp. Which makes me think its the fluid. At first I thought it was diesel but I didn’t smell the scent of it

the video is a bit shaky but I think I saw some spray come out of the rubber "gator" and perhaps spray onto some foam. If I am right then I agree, master has failed.

This is a DIY job and whilst some may disagree removing the front seat may make replacing it easier. Removing the clutch pedal also makes it easier to do. Bleed the system after fitting a new master, good luck

I also changed the bolts used to hole the master cylinder in place. I think I used longer bolts but "half way" along the bolt brazed a nut in place. This nut tightens against the master cylinder to hold it in place but the head of the bolt is easier to get to to do up and undo.

I may have created a thread about it a couple of years ago.

macafee2

hogweed 1st September 2021 18:16

Hope you don't mind me butting in, but having had my slave cylinder replaced 3 times (latest one seems to be holding up after 2-3 years), I have wondered idly about having an auto box stuck on the car if it happens again - is this possible?

It would be our local MGR guy doing it if it ever came to it, so he knows what he's doing, but would it be practical? Gearbox/ECM swap... anything else?

trikey 2nd September 2021 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2898116)
Hope you don't mind me butting in, but having had my slave cylinder replaced 3 times (latest one seems to be holding up after 2-3 years), I have wondered idly about having an auto box stuck on the car if it happens again - is this possible?

It would be our local MGR guy doing it if it ever came to it, so he knows what he's doing, but would it be practical? Gearbox/ECM swap... anything else?

Full wiring harness…

Mike Noc 2nd September 2021 07:22

Brake pedal... I thought maybe the pedal box too but looks like you could get away with the manual one.

hogweed 2nd September 2021 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2898149)
Full wiring harness…

:eek::eek::eek:

Yes I suppose so - thinking about it, there are probably different things about the IPK etc...?

OK, thanks for responding - it was just an idle thought. For now, the car seems fine, at nearly 200,000 miles, with just expected things wearing out and having to be replaced.

My personal situation is ideally suited to an electric car - I think, if the slave was to pop again, that would be the time...