The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Should I block the ends of box section? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308883)

macafee2 27th October 2020 18:51

Should I block the ends of box section?

I am in two minds and both make sense.

My trailer chassis has some 1 inch (external) square box section running the width, about 6 feet.
The box section holds the mudguards and acts as support to the base of the trailer. It is only a lightweight trailer.

I have had the trailer 20 years and the box section may originally been galvanised or painted with galvanised looking paint. I have had the box section replaced due to rust in line with the tyres. I think driving rain and grit has caused the rust.

I have managed to paint the inside of the box section and am wondering if I should put square bungs in the ends of the box section to prevent water getting in. My concern is if water gets in, it will struggle to get out and therefore rust the box section. Should I leave the ends open so water can get in and out and also air can get into the box section?

macafee2

COLVERT 27th October 2020 20:09

Fill the box sections with expanding foam then plug the ends. ( securely. )----:D

rrobson 27th October 2020 21:23

I’d weld some covers onto the ends if it were me, just for aesthetics. Inch box is a couple of quid for a 6m length, so if your only having to replace once every 10-20 years I really wouldn’t be bothered about potentially trapping water inside. Just apply under seal, stone chip etc to the areas most at risk and reapply every other year. No reason why it shouldn’t last another 20 years

For reference, 25mm x 1.5mm is cheaper than the imperial equivalent, but 25mm comes in at about £2 per meter

Sonic ZS 28th October 2020 00:11

I'd be tempted to give the insides a decent spray of waxoyl or similar, fit the end plugs, but cut a small slot or hole along the lowest edge of each.

That way, if moisture does build up, it can still drain away and won't be permenantly trapped inside :}

It runs 28th October 2020 03:10

Sonic zs has the answer

macafee2 28th October 2020 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic ZS (Post 2844866)
I'd be tempted to give the insides a decent spray of waxoyl or similar, fit the end plugs, but cut a small slot or hole along the lowest edge of each.

That way, if moisture does build up, it can still drain away and won't be permenantly trapped inside :}

I'd wondered about trimming the bottom edge off so thank you.

macafee2

macafee2 29th October 2020 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic ZS (Post 2844866)

waxoyl, good idea, thank you. I would like to spray to the centre which is about 3ft from the ends. I dont know how I would do that, any ideas?

macafee2