The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rear Springs (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=327217)

sln8458 29th February 2024 15:03

Rear Springs

Ok, so this subject has been covered many time, I've searched and read:D

So I'm preparing for a summer of work on the rear suspension, it's 19 years old so I feel a bit of TLC is in order.

Looking at the label under the rear seat my springs are RM violet.
These are NLA, I can go for the next best option of the White springs, but I want to 'try' and get the same size/spec as original.

However in all the posts I've read, nowhere can I fine the free length:shrug:

So, does anyone know what is is/should be??

trikey 29th February 2024 16:58

I wouldn't worry about what you for mate, I have 1.8 lowering springs on the back of my diesel and they have been superb for over 50k miles now.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

75driver 29th February 2024 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln8458 (Post 2990177)
Ok, so this subject has been covered many time, I've searched and read:D

So I'm preparing for a summer of work on the rear suspension, it's 19 years old so I feel a bit of TLC is in order.

Looking at the label under the rear seat my springs are RM violet.
These are NLA, I can go for the next best option of the White springs, but I want to 'try' and get the same size/spec as original.

However in all the posts I've read, nowhere can I fine the free length:shrug:

So, does anyone know what is is/should be??

I think I have info for free lengths for front springs somewhere, courtesy of post from member Norfie. But don’t have any info on free lengths for the rears.😞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rovering Member 1st March 2024 07:43

A.E. Wilcox recently supplied me with an OEM pair of Violet/white rear springs.
Give them a call: 01454 294213

sln8458 13th March 2024 10:16

A question for the more knowledgeable folk on here:
A bit of pre-amble.
In June 2022 the rear suspension was changed by Rover when they deleted the rear anti-roll bar.
In the case of my car the springs were changed
from RKB101430 (RED-RC) to RKB101431 (VIOLET-RM).

From the forum, RKB101430 has a free height of 280.31mm
Now in this thread
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=301064
Marinabrian, adds a link to RKB101421 in post #5

Then in post #8, he adds further detail stating that spring RKB101421 has a free length of 260mm.

When Rover changed the suspension, spring RKB101421 replaced RKB101420 and from the same info on the forum RKB101420 PINK-RB has a free length of 277mm

So

RKB101420 free length of 277mm

Replaced by

RKB101421 free length of 260mm (from MarinaBrian) reduced by 17mm

To my question

If by removing the anti-roll bar Rover revised the springs 101420/101421 by 17mm

Would it be a reasonable assumption that springs 101430/101431 also changed by 17mm??

Hence if

RKB101430 has a free height of 280.31mm

Would it be a reasonable assumption that:

RKB101431 would have a free length of approx. 263mm??.

Edit:
Just to add, I emailed Rimmers they replied that RKB101431 was discontinued and they had NO alternative.
Emailed Xpart, they replied RKB101431 was discontinued, but they had an alternative (£66+ each) but would not divilge free length.

torque2me 13th March 2024 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln8458 (Post 2991045)
A question for the more knowledgeable folk on here:
A bit of pre-amble.
In June 2022 the rear suspension was changed by Rover when they deleted the rear anti-roll bar.
In the case of my car the springs were changed
from RKB101430 (RED-RC) to RKB101431 (VIOLET-RM).

Should that date read 2002?
Quote:

Edit:
Just to add, I emailed Rimmers they replied that RKB101431 was discontinued and they had NO alternative.
Emailed Xpart, they replied RKB101431 was discontinued, but they had an alternative (£66+ each) but would not divilge free length.
Well, we need to get hold of a spring from X-Part and post the details if the OP or someone goes down that route.

Also, we could e-mail John at A E Wilcox, give him the part numbers and see if he has any squirreled away? If so, we could obtain free lengths.
Kev

sln8458 13th March 2024 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque2me (Post 2991069)
Should that date read 2002?

Well, we need to get hold of a spring from X-Part and post the details if the OP or someone goes down that route.

Also, we could e-mail John at A E Wilcox, give him the part numbers and see if he has any squirreled away? If so, we could obtain free lengths.
Kev

Yes that should read 2002:duh:

I emailed Wilcox, as yet no reply from them either.
Also United Springs owners of Allevard springs ltd who I read were the OEM, again no reply.

DMGRS 13th March 2024 14:46

This is the problem we face every day - we're constantly looking for supply / information and just getting a reply from some companies is a real pain.

With regards to springs, I know it's not the solution you're after but we have standardised the rear springs for all 75 models these days - finding individual codes was a nightmare, and when fitted the differences are fairly minute.

If you need a hand with any of the other suspension parts for your rebuild, you know where we are - we have a raft of excellent quality rear suspension components in stock :)

torque2me 13th March 2024 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMGRS (Post 2991075)
This is the problem we face every day - we're constantly looking for supply / information and just getting a reply from some companies is a real pain.

With regards to springs, I know it's not the solution you're after but we have standardised the rear springs for all 75 models these days - finding individual codes was a nightmare, and when fitted the differences are fairly minute.

If you need a hand with any of the other suspension parts for your rebuild, you know where we are - we have a raft of excellent quality rear suspension components in stock :)

Good to know but from an engineering point of view there will be a huge difference in the spring and/or shock absorber rate if a roll bar is removed. If the "standardised" spring is too soft it might make the vehicle less safe and if it is too stiff then it might make the ride height high and again handling might be compromised. The car manufacturers take on the extra cost of a different part because they deem it necessary. I know that we as owners of unsupported cars do have to make difficult decisions.

Kev
Not a poke at "standardised".

sln8458 13th March 2024 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque2me (Post 2991084)
Good to know but from an engineering point of view there will be a huge difference in the spring and/or shock absorber rate if a roll bar is removed. If the "standardised" spring is too soft it might make the vehicle less safe and if it is too stiff then it might make the ride height high and again handling might be compromised. The car manufacturers take on the extra cost of a different part because they deem it necessary. I know that we as owners of unsupported cars do have to make difficult decisions.

Kev
Not a poke at "standardised".

:wot:

I've worked in engineering design for over 40yrs, hence my Post #5
While searching the internet I came across this web site:
https://size.name/en/catalog/pruzhiny

I'm hoping that with a little more info I/we might be able to find a 'close' matched spring.