The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Never too old to learn about cars and new stuff. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296499)

Abott10 10th June 2019 17:39

Never too old to learn about cars and new stuff.

About seven years ago I opted for UNIROYAL Rainsport 2 Tyres. They do what it says on the tin. They also provide a nice ride quality even though I prefer to run them 3-4 psi over recommended as I usually have stuff on board. When the tyres wore out on the MG ZS, I fitted a set of the later RAINSPORT 3s in 17".

With MG ZT I chose RAINSPORT 3s as well. The ride quality was harsher than ideal running a few psi over recommended.

Then I realised they were XL spec ones. XL being Extra Load.

Any way, I dropped the pressure down to 30psi. Handling improved and so did ride quality. Particularly the ride quality.

Dallas 10th June 2019 17:52

I don't have to drop my PSI on my MG's, it happens automatically. :duh:

bl52krz 10th June 2019 18:16

Like you, I have always put a few extra lbs of air in my tyres. Well it is free. I have my 16s gridspokes on at the moment, and they are shod with Avon Z5’s . I always check my tyre pressure every Sunday morning,habit,with everything else. Tyre pressures I noticed were 35lbs all round. I had noticed how jiggley the suspension had become, also quite hard. It was then I noticed that they are V speed rated and extra load,XL. I am pretty sure that you are right about the harder ride quality of XL rated tyres.I took them down to the correct pressure’s, 32 front 30 rear and the ride improved. I run contour wheels with Goodyear Efficientgrip on, and they are a much more comfortable tyre, and what seems a much quieter tyre. They are rated quieter,but the difference is really noticeable even with more pressure in them.

KWIL 10th June 2019 18:22

Those extra psi's not only means a harsher ride, but also less contact area on the road, thus potentially increasing your stopping distance and more wear occurs on the centre of the tread.

Overall not a good idea.

Dallas 10th June 2019 19:15

My problem was as you say, plus the odd inner rim badly corroded which I replaced.

I had the rims cleaned and sealed when I bought new tyres, problem solved. I've just done the same on the TF, I will most probably get all wheels on both cars professionally refurbished at some point.

rovertone 10th June 2019 20:20

I've got this T shirt, I have 17" Meteors and found ride a bit harsh and then discovered that, in my ignorance and without tyre depot saying anything I had XL rated fitted, fitted 91V and ride much improved. I went for Goodyear Efficientgrip which are shown a quiet running but they do 'boom' a bit so might give Rainsports a try next time, have read other favourable reports.

Comfortably Numb 10th June 2019 23:29

Lower tyre pressures will also reduce wear on suspension parts. Most of the minor imperfections in the road surface will be absorbed by the tyres and not transmitted to the suspension bushes and balljoints. Also less prone to punctures - ask any off-roader.

AndyN01 11th June 2019 07:08

For me, it's the quickest way to find out if the tyre place is worth visiting.

Anyone who even thinks about using knock on balance weights on alloys won't see me buying from them - ever.

Andy

tourer 11th June 2019 07:36

When all else fails, read the instructions!😃

roverbarmy 11th June 2019 08:48

Rovers ! "They all do that don't they"!:D