The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Anyone used an airfryer? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302436)

macafee2 26th January 2020 20:55

Anyone used an airfryer?

I want to cook sweet and sour chicken balls.
I found a good recipe for the sweet and sour and now want to do the balls.
Eve this recipe must be mega calorie laden:eek:
I don't have a deep fat fryer and don't really want to submerge my food in all that oil.

Is an airfryer any good and will it cook chicken balls?

macafee2

Heddy 26th January 2020 21:18

We were considering an air fryer to replace a deep fat fryer, mainly because they're messy. After looking into them we thought they were no better than a fan oven so didn't bother.

clf 26th January 2020 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2789279)
I want to cook sweet and sour chicken balls.
I found a good recipe for the sweet and sour and now want to do the balls.
Eve this recipe must be mega calorie laden:eek:
I don't have a deep fat fryer and don't really want to submerge my food in all that oil.

Is an airfryer any good and will it cook chicken balls?

macafee2

Assuming your balls will be battered in some way? If they are, then deep frying I think would be the only way (the batter will fall off?). If they are to be breaded, then spraying with oil will help to crisp them up. I find breaded foods can be very dry and hard in the air fryer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heddy (Post 2789283)
We were considering an air fryer to replace a deep fat fryer, mainly because they're messy. After looking into them we thought they were no better than a fan oven so didn't bother.

The one I have is a relatively small one, but is more convenient and faster than the my fan oven, not to mention more economical.

I do have to reduce cooking times, sometimes considerably with it. Have experimented too with reducing the temperature by around approx 10-20% (eg 160 degrees instead of 180). 10 minutes at 160 instead of 180 for 15, for some frozen chicken strips recently.

Apparently you can make cakes with it too, even pizza, but it is too small for that lol.

MarkS 26th January 2020 23:45

Much faster to cook than a fan oven.
Faster to warm up.
Much easier to clean than a fan oven (apart from the lid, needs stainless steel wool).
More energy efficient.
Fewer calories as any fat drops into the bowl.
To keep food moist, spray with spray oil, several times during cooking.

Recommended for people renting a place short-term as it saves the hassle and cost of having an oven professionally cleaned, to satisfy letting agent and recover deposit.

Highly recommended for £30.

Les4048 27th January 2020 03:37

Go on to YouTube, there is lots of info and recipes. Like others have said there’s limitations with them and batter is one of them as it needs deep frying

macafee2 27th January 2020 09:21

thank you for all the replies.
perhaps I should just go to the take away and buy them but where is the since of achievement doing that :)

macafee2

suzublu 27th January 2020 10:15

I've had a Tefal actifry for a few years now and cook all sorts with it. Experiment and you'll be fine 👍

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk