The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Alternative option to BT TV (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295838)

victorgte 17th May 2019 21:09

Alternative option to BT TV

Having got tired of increasing charges by BT, we’ve switched to Vodafone for both our mobiles and Broadband plus free landline rental.
Only downside I can see coming is that BT TV allowed us to record programs to view later. Don’t think that option is included with Vodafone.
Is there something out there that will enable us to record stuff?
Tried Virgin but they do not operate in our area.
I would imagine we will have access to all the usual apps like BBC iPlayer and ITV hub. We have the Amazon Firestick plugged in to the TV but again I see no way of recording programs?
Does something exist to sort the problem?

HarryM1BYT 17th May 2019 21:24

I have a newish large screen LG set and only access to Freeview and Freesat via the TV itself, plus a Firestick. I added a small USB powered hard drive in the back, that allows me to...

Record what I watching, record when the set is off, pause what is currently on and if I have paused skip through any ads which are on, or skip ads in a previously recorded program. The drive always runs, constantly records the watched channel, so if I want I can wind what I am watching back to when I began watching it.

It can only work with one channel. It also has internet, so access to Youtube, BBCi, ITV Hub and etc..

Much more TV than I have time or patience to watch..

Rogue 17th May 2019 21:43

Working on the assumption that you have a normal tv aerial you could always purchase a Humax pvr. This will have a freeview decoders built in so you can record multiple channels simultaniously but not streamed tv.

Something like the HDR1100T if you don't record loads or if you need more storage space the FVP5000 comes in 500Gb and 1TB sizes...

Les4048 18th May 2019 04:27

Like Rogue stated in #3 you’ll need a pvr which really is a pain in the hoop as you’ll end up watching the tv through that device rather than the actual tv itself which in essence is exactly the same as you’re doing now with BT tv. I’ve got my Broadband, mobile and tv through BT and I’ve not had any increase in charges

victorgte 18th May 2019 08:43

Many thanks for the replies. Simpler than I thought but then I had never heard of those devices.
Our cost will reduce from £95 per month to £65 per month. Purchasing the box will pay for itself in about 6 months having saved £30 per month.

victorgte 18th May 2019 11:54

Call plan, broadband and line rental £58.99 per month.
Anytime calls £1.58 per month.
TV entertainment plus package £11.50 per month.
2 mobile phone contracts £30 per month.
Worse than I thought.
Add on any film purchases and the cost increases.
New deal is £65 per month and films are free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vanbursta 18th May 2019 18:12

Try this, no DRM.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/August-Free...dp/B00Q38S9BU/
:D

victorgte 18th May 2019 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue (Post 2734452)
Working on the assumption that you have a normal tv aerial you could always purchase a Humax pvr. This will have a freeview decoders built in so you can record multiple channels simultaniously but not streamed tv.

Something like the HDR1100T if you don't record loads or if you need more storage space the FVP5000 comes in 500Gb and 1TB sizes...

I’ve ordered the FVP5000 with one TB of storage. Can record 3 channels whilst watching a 4th. Thanks for all the information.

Rogue 18th May 2019 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorgte (Post 2734589)
I’ve ordered the FVP5000 with one TB of storage. Can record 3 channels whilst watching a 4th. Thanks for all the information.

Good choice... If you have any issues with it Humax have a good customer service line on 0344 318 8800 :)

topman 20th May 2019 19:19

We got rid of sky about 5 years ago. Just got too expensive, switched to now tv and we get the bits of sky that I want to watch at a good price. Got netflix as well.

Rumours Disney are starting their own streaming service soon. One to watch out for.