The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Doing the head Gasket is worth it? ROVER 75 2.5 V6 HELP!!!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298230)

Matt70 9th August 2019 18:19

Doing the head Gasket is worth it? ROVER 75 2.5 V6 HELP!!!!

Hi Guys again with problems on my ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Petrol. Today he broke down in the middle of the A13 in South Benflet the red indicator light of the water temperature indicator has turned on, I stopped the car and it wasn't any water ! I cheek every week the water and oil levels...so after 4 hours I managed to get recovered the car to my mechanic in Wickford (ESSEX) Rover specialized that originally tolled me about a possible thermostat failure but after putting a small pump with a liquid in the cap of the water container the liquid changed the color and became green..he told me that means an Head Gasket failure!! He tells me that it takes 1000 GBP to repair the car ...I almost faint ... I ask you:
1) This is the price it takes or you know if you could do the job for less
2)If I decide to do the job how many miles I could still do since I now have
more than 101.000 miles
3) My MOT and Insurance expires in May 2020 , tax in October 2019, I have
9 months in front before next MOT ... isn't it worth it?

If anyone has had this problem or knows... please advise me on what to do:bowdown::shrug::eek:

Yorkshire GOC 9th August 2019 18:39

Firstly HG failure on the KV 6 is relatively rare - do you have mayo in the oil filler cap or on your dipstick - how does your exhaust look - is it blowing white smoke ie steam ?

Matt70 9th August 2019 18:58

Re:Doing the head Gasket is worth it? ROVER 75 2.5 V6 HELP!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2753893)
Firstly HG failure on the KV 6 is relatively rare - do you have mayo in the oil filler cap or on your dipstick - how does your exhaust look - is it blowing white smoke ie steam ?

Hi,thank you for your replay. I don't have any mayonnaise in the cap and the car not smoking at all , The Engine sound fine!:shrug:

SideValve 9th August 2019 20:00

Its a lot of water to lose in a short space of time. My first instinct would be a leak somewhere, can be tricky to spot so worth taking the undertray off and poking around with a torch while its running - especially in the V, the heater pipes etc.
Having said all that, HGF's are unlikely on the V6 but not impossible and if its on the rear it will take a while before you get mayo at the front. Is there any condensation on the cap? Or has the oil level gone up? If its still running smooth it suggests any problem is between the water and the outside world or the water and the oil. If not the oil then the water most be getting outside somewhere.
Another good test is to take the small hose by the filler off and put it in a jug. Run the engine for a bit till it starts pushing water out, is it giving little bubbles?
If you decide it is a HGF it renders the car worth very little and a decent replacement is likely to cost a grand so perhaps its worth getting fixed.

kaiser 9th August 2019 20:06

10 to 1 you have a leaking thermostat.! Very common.
10 to 1, your head gaskets are fine, unless you drove like a numpty and didn't heed the warning signs.

If you stopped the car when the temperature warning came on, and didn't fill immediately with cold water, you are unlikely to have suffered head gasket problems.

Matt70 9th August 2019 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideValve (Post 2753922)
Its a lot of water to lose in a short space of time. My first instinct would be a leak somewhere, can be tricky to spot so worth taking the undertray off and poking around with a torch while its running - especially in the V, the heater pipes etc.
Having said all that, HGF's are unlikely on the V6 but not impossible and if its on the rear it will take a while before you get mayo at the front. Is there any condensation on the cap? Or has the oil level gone up? If its still running smooth it suggests any problem is between the water and the outside world or the water and the oil. If not the oil then the water most be getting outside somewhere.
Another good test is to take the small hose by the filler off and put it in a jug. Run the engine for a bit till it starts pushing water out, is it giving little bubbles?
If you decide it is a HGF it renders the car worth very little and a decent replacement is likely to cost a grand so perhaps its worth getting fixed.

Thank you for your replay. The mechanic take off the little side pipe from the water tank and opened the cap...from a tube connected to the engine he removed a cap to see if water came out but nothing! In essence he told me that water does not circulate in the engine, after which he did the test with the pump in the opening of the water cap with the liquid that changed color and HGF he told me.:eek:

Matt70 9th August 2019 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 2753924)
10 to 1 you have a leaking thermostat.! Very common.
10 to 1, your head gaskets are fine, unless you drove like a numpty and didn't heed the warning signs.

If you stopped the car when the temperature warning came on, and didn't fill immediately with cold water, you are unlikely to have suffered head gasket problems.

Thank you for your replay. Yes I stopped the car suddenly and fill the water tank.

SD1too 9th August 2019 21:40

Hi Matt,

The first thing you need to do is to check that your radiator fan is working properly. To do this, start the engine from cold then press the windscreen demist button on the air con./heater control panel. Now get out of the car and walk to the radiator grille. Can you hear the fan running continuously? Please report back and we'll take it from there.

I don't believe that you have head gasket failure.

Just one thing; has any work been carried out on the cooling system recently?

Simon

Sonic ZS 9th August 2019 22:52

Also worth looking closely at the metal pipes that run across the front of the engine, behind the subframe.

Recent experience with a 17 year old MGTF has shown that if the car has been run with a weak antifreeze mix, the metal pipes can rust out from the inside.

You could well have a small coolant weep here. Good luck with it :}

Matt70 11th August 2019 11:57

Re:Doing the head Gasket is worth it? ROVER 75 2.5 V6 HELP!!!!

Hi guys,

I bought for £40 this product named Steel Seal to simply fixes blown head gaskets in minutes.. I want to try it before, maybe it can solve my problem and spend less monay. Anyone in the forum have used it?

How to Use Steel :
Sealhttps://youtu.be/QxkmHTy_Omk

Steel Seal Ltd
238 subscribers
Published on 4 May 2017
Steel Seal - Blown Headgasket Repair in 3 Easy Steps...

1. Make sure the engine is cold and remove the radiator cap. Pour Steel Seal directly into the radiator. Tighten the radiator cap back on. Ensure coolant is present before running the engine. If you have drained the coolant out, pour Steel Seal into the system and top up with coolant and move to step two.

2. Turn the heater and fan to maximum. Start the engine and run your vehicle up to temperature (please note this can take between 15-25 minutes depending on the condition of your vehicle). Once your vehicle reaches operating temperature run for 30 minutes. Turn off vehicle and allow to cool completely. Top up with antifreeze/water as necessary, replace radiator cap tightly.

3. Leave the Steel Seal in your system and drive the vehicle as usual.

NB. If you are introducing Steel Seal via an expansion tank please make sure that there is sufficient room for Steel Seal to go directly into the cooling system and that it does not just sit in expansion tank reservoir.

For best results:

If you have tried inferior products flush your cooling system with clean water after disconnecting bottom radiator hose. Do not use a flushing agent.
If you have flushed the system reconnect bottom radiator hose.

I looking forward to hearing from you guys.....

Cheers
Matt