The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Front suspension knock and creak (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305202)

thanos.m 27th May 2020 21:09

Front suspension knock and creak

Hi everyone,
The last couple of days my 75 developed a knock and creak coming from the front I immediately thought its going to be the dreaded droplinks again but I jacked up the car checked everything out and I couldn't find anything that's gone wrong there was no play anywhere both droplinks are new and the top bearings one is new and the other only a couple year old with barely any miles on the creak is quite prominent over speed bumps the knock seems to be a bit random very similar to the droplink knock any ideas what could it be ? I'm Thinking something like wheel bearings or cv joints ?

Coups 28th May 2020 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanos.m (Post 2814987)
Hi everyone,
The last couple of days my 75 developed a knock and creak coming from the front I immediately thought its going to be the dreaded droplinks again but I jacked up the car checked everything out and I couldn't find anything that's gone wrong there was no play anywhere both droplinks are new and the top bearings one is new and the other only a couple year old with barely any miles on the creak is quite prominent over speed bumps the knock seems to be a bit random very similar to the droplink knock any ideas what could it be ? I'm Thinking something like wheel bearings or cv joints ?

If youve ruled out droplinks and strut top bearinf then my money's on the wishbone outer balljoint. If you jack up the wheel, grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and give it a good wiggle in and out of the car you may feel slight play.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

thanos.m 28th May 2020 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coups (Post 2815113)
If youve ruled out droplinks and strut top bearinf then my money's on the wishbone outer balljoint. If you jack up the wheel, grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and give it a good wiggle in and out of the car you may feel slight play.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cheers for that ! I tried it I couldn't feel any play I'll give a try again just to be sure I also noticed that there is a vibration coming through if I accelerate briskly with any steering input on I'm thinking that this can be related to the problem as well

roverbarmy 28th May 2020 20:55

Check the whole spring from top to bottom. Sometimes a small section breaks off and just sits in the cup. Also check for small pieces of road gravel getting wedged here and there!;)

thanos.m 28th May 2020 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2815179)
Check the whole spring from top to bottom. Sometimes a small section breaks off and just sits in the cup. Also check for small pieces of road gravel getting wedged here and there!;)

Checked the springs they are fine

bl52krz 28th May 2020 21:10

Everything is bone dry in this weather we are having. Anything that moves, even a little, on steering or suspension, can ‘dry out’ and make funny noises. When I had my SD1 3.5, I noticed funny noises coming from somewhere in one of the long hot summers we had back then. What I did was go round all the suspension springs with the thinnest oil I had, and put some under the bottom of the suspension springs where it rests on the Mc pherson strut, and just sprayed up inside the covers on the rear shockers . The noise disappeared. I think what happens is components dry out where they interact with metal surfaces.

thanos.m 28th May 2020 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2815190)
Everything is bone dry in this weather we are having. Anything that moves, even a little, on steering or suspension, can ‘dry out’ and make funny noises. When I had my SD1 3.5, I noticed funny noises coming from somewhere in one of the long hot summers we had back then. What I did was go round all the suspension springs with the thinnest oil I had, and put some under the bottom of the suspension springs where it rests on the Mc pherson strut, and just sprayed up inside the covers on the rear shockers . The noise disappeared. I think what happens is components dry out where they interact with metal surfaces.

Thanks ! I'll give it a try tomorrow !

thanos.m 30th May 2020 16:32

And it's again the dreaded droplinks for a second time it seems have come off loose on the top I guess the garage that fit it were not up to the task or there is something else going on

bl52krz 1st June 2020 09:25

Drop links. The top nut is hard to get to, so what you do is cut some of the threaded part off before fitting it. Then when you come to tighten the top nut up, you have room for your ring spanner to fit and tighten it up properly. If you don’t cut some off the ring spanner gets stuck when the threaded part protrudes upwards and you can not get it off the rod.

roverbarmy 1st June 2020 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2815954)
If you don’t cut some off the ring spanner gets stuck when the threaded part protrudes upwards and you can not get it off the rod.

Unless you use an angle grinder!:D;)