The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Heater matrix leaking (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303226)

Gep1397 1st March 2020 11:25

Heater matrix leaking

Hi Everyone.

The heater matrix has just started to fail on my 75 v8.
Rimmer Bros are saying a complete new heater unit. No info on just a new core (matrix).

Has anyone done a change before? The part required looks to be different to the v6 model I had before....any one got a part number for this?

Any information would be so helpful.

Cheers George

DeeJ 1st March 2020 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gep1397 (Post 2796301)
Hi Everyone.

The heater matrix has just started to fail on my 75 v8.
Rimmer Bros are saying a complete new heater unit. No info on just a new core (matrix).

Has anyone done a change before? The part required looks to be different to the v6 model I had before....any one got a part number for this?

Any information would be so helpful.

Cheers George

Assuming you are a member there, you may get something via the Two-Sixties if you post over there. I have heard of a couple of units floating around recently, but not sure if they are still available. I don't think the matrix has it's own part number, but I could be wrong.

Are you 100% certain the problem is with the matrix? That would be very unusual on a 260/R75V8. More likely I think would be a leak in one of the several hoses around the HVAC or, more often, the Left/Right distribution valve (3 pipe ZT260, 4 pipe twin valve unit on R75V8) or the hoses attached to it.

David

trikey 1st March 2020 19:07

I'm sure these guys could make you one from your old matrix should you need to go down that route.

https://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/alum...SAAEgLoEvD_BwE

Gep1397 2nd March 2020 08:29

Hi David,

Firstly thanks for your response and help.
You may be correct in reference to the distribution valve. There are 2, and water is dripping from component, not the hose.

Would it be possible to email an image of the unit, it shows it leaking?
I can't attach pics directly to this.

Thanks George

DeeJ 7th March 2020 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gep1397 (Post 2796477)
Hi David,

Firstly thanks for your response and help.
You may be correct in reference to the distribution valve. There are 2, and water is dripping from component, not the hose.

Would it be possible to email an image of the unit, it shows it leaking?
I can't attach pics directly to this.

Thanks George

Yes, sure George. Send to [email protected] with "For David" as the subject. When I have your email I can send you a photo of a new one for identification (my spare), part number info and also a photo of a leaky one from another Two-Sixties member, showing where they often leak! All are Rover 75 V8 of course, the ZT 260 unit being quite different. Word of warning they are VERY expensive to buy, if you can get one.

Please add your VIN number (last 3 digits) to your mail if you would be so kind. Not #595 is it?

(Sorry about delay in replying).

David

edwardmk 10th March 2020 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJ (Post 2797534)
Yes, sure George. Send to [email protected] with "For David" as the subject. When I have your email I can send you a photo of a new one for identification (my spare), part number info and also a photo of a leaky one from another Two-Sixties member, showing where they often leak! All are Rover 75 V8 of course, the ZT 260 unit being quite different. Word of warning they are VERY expensive to buy, if you can get one.

Please add your VIN number (last 3 digits) to your mail if you would be so kind. Not #595 is it?

(Sorry about delay in replying).

David

That's very useful to know about the 260 being different. Do you know the reason for the difference by any chance? Just curious why it needed to be redesigned for such a similar car?

SCP440 11th March 2020 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2798289)
That's very useful to know about the 260 being different. Do you know the reason for the difference by any chance? Just curious why it needed to be redesigned for such a similar car?

Because the transmission tunnel is taller so there was not enough room for the standard heater.

DeeJ 11th March 2020 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2798313)
Because the transmission tunnel is taller so there was not enough room for the standard heater.

Yes, just as Steve says. The result was that heat distribution was, at least in part, changed to coolant distribution rather than controlling the air flaps as on the FWD cars. Rover 75V8 and ZT 260 are also different from each other, in that there is a fresh air distribution control on the Rover but not on the 260 (hence the V8 badge on the dash and no wheel), and is somewhat more sophisticated "as befits the luxurious Rover version". Just to make things more complicated, LHD and RHD are different on top of that again.