The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   oh no... Tin Worm. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=46251)

Raistlin 5th October 2009 17:59

oh no... Tin Worm.

Rob (Trebor) spotted a line of rust bubbles along the lower edge of the rear near-side door on VeeKay weekend before last. I was horrified :(

To be fair, it was only just starting to bubble and was merely 3mm wide but right along the lower outside edge of the door.

Bodyshop chap had a look today and immediately spotted that the door had been re-skinned in the past. Clearly not very well done and it doesn't appear anywhere in the service history :mad:

So that, combined with the "road rage" dent on the wheel arch on the off-side galvanised me into making the necessary arrangements and VeeKay is to go in for surgery at the earliest opportunity :(

Makes you wonder what sort of cowboys some of these body shops are when a brand new panel can be so poorly fitted as to have tin worm coming through in what has to be, following a bit of detective work, less than 5 years after the repair was done.

trebor 5th October 2009 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raistlin (Post 397021)
Rob (Trebor) spotted a line of rust bubbles along the lower edge of the rear near-side door on VeeKay weekend before last. I was horrified :(

To be fair, it was only just starting to bubble and was merely 3mm wide but right along the lower outside edge of the door.

Bodyshop chap had a look today and immediately spotted that the door had been re-skinned in the past. Clearly not very well done and it doesn't appear anywhere in the service history :mad:

So that, combined with the "road rage" dent on the wheel arch on the off-side galvanised me into making the necessary arrangements and VeeKay is to go in for surgery at the earliest opportunity :(

Makes you wonder what sort of cowboys some of these body shops are when a brand new panel can be so poorly fitted as to have tin worm coming through in what has to be, following a bit of detective work, less than 5 years after the repair was done.

at least you know what has caused it now Paul, so thats something, but why a new door skin i wonder unless damage in the past, could just be a door dent of course

MN190 5th October 2009 18:34

A few years ago my dad who was a self employed car sprayer (now retired) had the contract with a local branch of a national car dealer to repaint cars that had been damaged during transporting.
The garage wouldn't tell the buyer about any of the damage regardless of how bad it was!
They would only pay for the cheapest repair they could get away with.

Raistlin 5th October 2009 18:49

So it might have been done pre delivery "as new" to the first owner?

That is monstrous. I'm the second owner from new and between IBM, the first owner and myself, VeeKay has wanted for nothing :mad:

FROGGY 5th October 2009 18:57

Body repairs = tinworm. I don't care how good the repair guys are, rust is going to appear. You are lucky that it has taken 5 years to show.

Mick

Raistlin 5th October 2009 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by FROGGY (Post 397053)
Body repairs = tinworm. I don't care how good the repair guys are, rust is going to appear. You are lucky that it has taken 5 years to show.

Mick

But unlucky, or at least the first owner was, to be sold a car "as new" which had probably already sustained sufficient accident damage / vandalism, to require a re-skin.

MN190 5th October 2009 19:32

My dad stopped doing working for them when they took in one with extensive damage which the garage owner got cheap, had repaired and repainted at trade prices. The garage owner then substituted this with one a customer had ordered so he got the new one and the customer got the damaged / repaired one.

v192mak 5th October 2009 19:39

No matter what you spend the tin-worm will always come back in the end. I would start looking for a new door.

James.uk 6th October 2009 12:16

Make sure that the drain holes in the bottom of the door are not blocked up! If you can't find any, then drill a few.. :)

P63500S 6th October 2009 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN190 (Post 397036)
A few years ago my dad who was a self employed car sprayer (now retired) had the contract with a local branch of a national car dealer to repaint cars that had been damaged during transporting.
The garage wouldn't tell the buyer about any of the damage regardless of how bad it was!
They would only pay for the cheapest repair they could get away with.

Freind of mine owns a body shop, and has a contract with renault. Went to visit him last week, couple of his chaps were repairing a dent on the roof, trailer transport damage!!