The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Corrosion issues (non 75 ZT) (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301916)

75driver 5th January 2020 11:08

Corrosion issues (non 75 ZT)

I guess all cars suffer corrosion, some worse than others.🙄
Filled up the 2009 W212 E220, with diesel and headed off on a 250 mile journey. About 1 mile in, pressed the brakes going round a bend and the car nose dived towards the hedge on the near side. Happened every time I pressed the brakes, so had to nurse the car home, and get mechanic to trailer it away, while I made other arrangements. He sent me some photos of the problem.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8348329b67.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9895e56da8.jpg
It appears that part of the rear subframe no longer wants to be part of the car anymore.🙄
There is only 80k on the car. Shocking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trikey 5th January 2020 11:19

Makes our rust issues look trivial!

Yorkshire GOC 5th January 2020 11:23

A variation of the well documented Merc frillies

robbrooks 5th January 2020 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2784936)
A variation of the well documented Merc frillies

Replaced all my rear suspension arms at the rear last Autumn and did a thorough de-rusting of all the prone areas with aqualseal and then a coat of hammerite. Bilt Hamber in all the crevises too!.
Rob

victorgte 5th January 2020 15:26

Before 1995 Mercedes cars were engineered to last. Enough said.

Mike Noc 5th January 2020 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorgte (Post 2784970)
Before 1995 Mercedes cars were engineered to last. Enough said.

Yep, they certainly don't make them like they used to. :getmecoat:

Comfortably Numb 5th January 2020 21:48

75 driver, what is the bodywork like? That is truly scary! My wife had a 2,000reg 230SLK, with the usual rusty wheelarches when it was written off last year. I had given it a thorough inspection when one of the diagonal braces that connect to the boot floor started banging on the road - its boot floor mounting had rotted out - a welded 100mm patch sorted that out, and I couldn't find anything else structural that had more than surface rust. But when the insurance paid out, we bought a 2007 model, as that has a fully galvanised body, not a speck of rust on it. However, like its predecessor, and the 75/ZT, when you get underneath it, subframes and suspension parts made of steel are flaking black paint or plastic, and going rusty, however nothing as serious as that. Still, when you consider the cost of a new Merc, you would not expect metal so poorly protected. I suspect that they know that most new Merc buyers will buy new again within 5 or 7 years, and any problems will be those of the second hand buyer. If you are fool enough to keep your Merc longer, it will be out of warranty anyway. I'm keeping a close eye on my wife's car, and keeping my fingers crossed.

75driver 5th January 2020 23:58

Hi Andrew,
I’ve had the car 5 years now.
Bodywork is like “as new”, (when washed 🙄), other than the plastic front wing / bumper where my hound decided it was tasty enough to chew on.🤬
No rust whatsoever.
Car is more or less pristine, and runs like a clock.
In the 5 years of my ownership, other than oil and air filters, I’ve had to:
- replace a wing mirror, after a close encounter at 60mph by an unobservant road user😳 (and brown pants).😱
- change 2 broken rear springs (last September) and discs and pads all round.
Its been great so far in terms of servicing in the 50k miles I’ve had it, but even though it’s a 10 year old car, a rotten subframe is just not on (IMO).
Still, nothing lasts forever, and even though I’m fairly mechanically sympathetic, time and weather will catch up with all. 🙄
I’m just a bit disappointed that there was no mention of corrosion at the last MB service inspection.
I have to admit, that because I reckon it’s too technically advanced for me, I do no checks whatsoever on the car, (other than oil level and tyre pressure).
That’s why I have a 75 or three.😬

75driver 6th January 2020 00:02

Ps, I have a 1976 W114 250, which I would class as more structurally sound, having seen the photos received from the mechanic.😳

Comfortably Numb 6th January 2020 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75driver (Post 2785046)
Ps, I have a 1976 W114 250, which I would class as more structurally sound, having seen the photos received from the mechanic.😳

Isn't it one of those that has achieved over 3,000,000 miles? Hang onto it!