The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cdt clutch change (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=209036)

michael peters 21st February 2015 18:35

Cdt clutch change

Well here I am with the dreaded worn out clutch. Decided to do the job myself with the aid of a kit from Matt. Made a start this afternoon, stripped out bits and bobs in engine compartment to gain access. Car now all up on blocks ready for the dirty bits underneath. What a fun Sunday it will be!!!.
Just wondered how many of you have tackled this yourselves and how you got on with it?. Seems a fairly large amount of work. How the hell Andy Willi can change one in the reported two hours is quite beyond me.

Pagnol 21st February 2015 18:39

Good luck with that.

Shall be interested to know how you get on as I plan to do mine in the not too distant future...

Tin Tent 21st February 2015 18:50

Watched while mine was changed he removed the sub frame and the whole exhaust for better access also used an engine crane to lower gearbox and to refit box made lining up look a doddle. Outer wishbone bolts can be seized. Use 2 spanners to remove gear cables off box otherwise rubber insulators can tear. Just tips i picked up. Hope all goes well.

LotusLC 21st February 2015 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael peters (Post 1927512)
What a fun Sunday it will be!!!.

You will be fine "what could possibly go wrong :shrug:"

michael peters 21st February 2015 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin Tent (Post 1927528)
Watched while mine was changed he removed the sub frame and the whole exhaust for better access also used an engine crane to lower gearbox and to refit box made lining up look a doddle. Outer wishbone bolts can be seized. Use 2 spanners to remove gear cables off box otherwise rubber insulators can tear. Just tips i picked up. Hope all goes well.

Who was he? how long did it take?. As a matter of interest I prised the gear change cables off the the ball joints as per the Haynes manual, in retrospect, not the best idea in world. Yes wishbone bolts seized, now soaking in penetrating oil ready for tomorrows fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotuslc (Post 1927531)
You will be fine "what could possibly go wrong :shrug:"

In my humble opinion and based on experience, EVERY THING POSSIBLE.

maxi_crawf 21st February 2015 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael peters (Post 1927579)
Who was he? how long did it take?. As a matter of interest I prised the gear change cables off the the ball joints as per the Haynes manual, in retrospect, not the best idea in world. Yes wishbone bolts seized, now soaking in penetrating oil ready for tomorrows fun.

I can assure you Andy:bowdown: (the Clutch God) can do it, I stood and watched him do mine, after that he did Trikeys in less time!

nomzamo999 21st February 2015 22:08

Yep, did this in October.
I'm not very skilled in car maintenance, but I'm skint so gave it a go.
It's not that scary really.
Withdrawing & replacing the gearbox on a trolley jack was a bit hairy.
I'd recommend a second pair of hands for that bit, if you have help available.
I stuck groups of bolts together with masking tape as I took them off & wrote where they came from on the tape.
I also printed the excellent how-to from this forum & had it with me in a plastic sleeve.
I didn't remove the subframe, but did remove the nearside bolts and loosened the offside ones to give the gearbox enough clearance.
Best of luck!

Mdan 21st February 2015 22:15

1 Attachment(s)
That's funny changed mine today including flywheel think from my pic you cAn see my problem

jonathan63 21st February 2015 23:14

Did mine last year. It took ages. At the time I said I'd never do i again. Now I have bought another CDT Tourer I'm looking at the possibility of another clutch change and I will be tackling it........my self.

The biggest headache was mating the gearbox to the engine again after fitting the new clutch. Get help from a friend with this bit. Thats my advice.

Once you have done it you should feel an immense feeling of pride in yourself.
Hats off to you mate. Have a go. If you get stuck giz a PM or ring Andy Willi.

andy willi 22nd February 2015 06:08

call me if you get a problem but only after 6 pm as i am on nights this week

andy