The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Check Engine Warning Light (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=57574)

123abc0173 30th March 2010 18:07

Check Engine Warning Light

This evening the Check Engine warning light has illuminated on the dash of my 1.8l 2003 Rover 75. The car has nearly 44000 on the clock, the oil and water are where they should be and at the correct levels, the water temperature is normal and the car is running fine with no obvious problems.

It is booked in for a cambelt and water pump change on Thursday morning at what was the Rover dealer and I am going to ask them to have a look. The Owner's Handbook does not give much indication on what the problem could be so I am hoping somebody could offer some guidance so I have some idea what to expect when the garage has a look. James

pab 30th March 2010 19:17

the MIL is very sensitive to a slight miss fire

could be as simple as a dodgy plug

Rov5 30th March 2010 21:33

MIL light

I am presuming that the light has remained on in which case it probably isnt a just a short term electrical surge.Make sure that the garage you are taking the car to has proper diagnostic equipment to determine the reason for the MIL being tripped. It could be one of many things which has caused this condition and until the offending fault code/s have been extracted,it would not be possible to give you a clearc indication of what the fault might be.Anyone who does in merely speculating.

123abc0173 1st April 2010 17:10

Right, mystery solved. Ironically there was nothing actually wrong with the car, merely a faulty Sensor Oxygen-MU which has now been replaced. With my new cambelt and water pump my trusty 1.8 should be good for a few years yet so all is now well with the world!

Big thanks to White Rose Nissan in Petersfield who used to be the Rover dealer, they had the bits on the shelf and solved the problem with no fuss or bother.

James

Paddyn 1st April 2010 18:04

have you had head gasket failure yet...
im yet to see it ;)

Rupert 2nd April 2010 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123abc0173 (Post 499270)
[COLOR=black]Right, mystery solved. Ironically there was nothing actually wrong with the car, merely a faulty Sensor Oxygen-MU which has now been replaced.

My engine management light was illuminated for weeks before the computer was applied and came up with the same diagnosis re oxygen sensors. The unit was re-set (they do that, rather than rush for the tool box) and I've agreed to leave well alone unless the light comes on again, at which time I will have both input and output sensors replaced (about £140 all in). My engine is the 1.8T (this problem seems to afflict many of these) .. mileage to date is now just over 70,000 but she still purrs like new! :}

123abc0173 2nd April 2010 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddyn (Post 499318)
have you had head gasket failure yet...
im yet to see it ;)

Not yet but this is the third car I've with the K series engine and so far so good. The first two were a three year old N Reg 214 SLI and the second was a new 2003 MG TF. Both were fairly aged when I got rid of them.

I 'm keeping an eye on the water level and temperature gauge and driving fairly carefully as well as having it serviced frequently with a garage that knows what it is doing. Lets hope those precautions keep everything in order, most importantly I'm keeping fingers crossed...

chrissyboy 2nd April 2010 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123abc0173 (Post 497941)
This evening the Check Engine warning light has illuminated on the dash of my 1.8l 2003 Rover 75. The car has nearly 44000 on the clock, the oil and water are where they should be and at the correct levels, the water temperature is normal and the car is running fine with no obvious problems.

It is booked in for a cambelt and water pump change on Thursday morning at what was the Rover dealer and I am going to ask them to have a look. The Owner's Handbook does not give much indication on what the problem could be so I am hoping somebody could offer some guidance so I have some idea what to expect when the garage has a look. James

mine came up when i had a broken coil pack.... could be a duff plug or a dodgy ht lead ...

chrissyboy 2nd April 2010 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rupert (Post 499605)
My engine management light was illuminated for weeks before the computer was applied and came up with the same diagnosis re oxygen sensors. The unit was re-set (they do that, rather than rush for the tool box) and I've agreed to leave well alone unless the light comes on again, at which time I will have both input and output sensors replaced (about £140 all in)

. My engine is the 1.8T (this problem seems to afflict many of these) .. mileage to date is now just over 70,000 but she still purrs like new! :}

i`ve never had this problem with my 1800 turbo ...