The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My paypal has just been hacked (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310225)

ceedy 31st December 2020 19:40

Finally sorted ...My paypal has just been hacked

Somehow ? as I keep it very secure... but some how someone got in added a Spoofed phone number as I have the 2 level text confirmation.

And today just after lunch bought a load of Playstation wallet amounts via a "SHOPto.Net"

Reported to P-Pa l fraud team and also to Nat west as there were 16 transactions in paypal but over 30 in the bank account , totalling a shed load !! :icon_cry:

C

Tim 31st December 2020 19:46

Scum sucking ...........

Too late now but create an account you just use for paypal and internet. I put small amounts into a bank account that feeds paypal and ebay etc. If some scrota gets in there's not much to take. :(

ceedy 31st December 2020 19:54

Weird bit is its left the original paypal amount alone and only gone from the Bank .

ceedy 31st December 2020 19:57

Thats all my paypal is used for a bit of ebay selling, and an odd purchase never a lot in there .

And a very obscure password, and the 2 level texting check ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 2856969)
Scum sucking ...........

Too late now but create an account you just use for paypal and internet. I put small amounts into a bank account that feeds paypal and ebay etc. If some scrota gets in there's not much to take. :(

clf 31st December 2020 20:39

when it comes to Paypal, open a second bank account (this may not be as straightforward as it once was), use this. Keep only £5-10 in at any time, then transfer funds prior to making a purchase with Paypal.

Using online banking on my phone, I transfer funds into the account. I do not use Paypal via my phone, and only use online banking on my phone. This means I can spot easily if somethign has gone awry, and if it is Paypal related, I would look towards my computer for the breach, and if it was bank account related, I can look towards my phone.

SCP440 31st December 2020 21:40

If you link your Pay pal to an Amex card it works well. If there are any problems Amex will contact you. I purchased the same item twice and Amex suspected malicious activity and rung me to ask if it was OK.

BRG75 31st December 2020 23:02

I've sent you a PM on this subject.

Regards

Mike

ceedy 1st January 2021 09:11

But wooryingly 32 transactions over 5 days to a playstation wallet not spotted by anyone as Unusual activity . ?

Currently theBank looking at it , and Hopefully ??

Happy New year everyone . hopefully it will be better than the last one .:icon_rolleyes:

Chris

edwardmk 1st January 2021 10:09

Sorry to hear what happened. There's a lot of Paypal fraud activity. I use Paypal a lot but I'm always careful. The truth is that just one click on the wrong link and there can be a keystroke logger on your device. It makes me nervous even on my trusted sites. I'm with RBS and they're so good at blocking my debit card it can be a pain when I'm out and about, but I've accepted that as the price for more security on my account. Thank you for posting this. Think I'll do a review.

WillyHeckaslike 1st January 2021 10:18

I recently closed my Paypal account and will see how it goes using my debit card for online transactions. The problem with Paypal was twofold, some of the platforms I buy on charge extra for Paypal and ultimately I ended up being locked out of the account after Paypal changed to stricter verification. Prior to it doing so I had already dispensed with the phone number that I had registered and access became conditional on my response to a text to that number which I no longer had.

Clearly I had to contact Paypal and the only means it allowed was via telephone - no email or online chat. I phoned a few times to try to get it sorted but to no avail, and it was not a all easy to understand what sounded like heavily accented Chinese/Asian on the other end of the line. They tried changing the number for me but after doing so their system just kept throwing up an unable to verify notification without even going to the page for text verification. I decided to call it a day with Paypal for now after their only solution was to close the account and to open a new one.

Annfield-East 1st January 2021 10:20

How do hackers manage to log into someone's Paypal account? I've just logged into mine, but first I had to enter a 6 figure authentication code that was sent to my mobile.

I hardly use Paypal, but for peace of mind I've just removed my linked bank account from it. If I need to add funds in future I will re link it, transfer whatever is needed, then delete it again.

ceedy 1st January 2021 13:26

Same here , always get a text code .... but not i nthe case of these 32 , i've asked for an investigation but they've said it was all authorized so no suspicions were raised. so asked lots of questions as why /how someone got in and I got no texts, I did get one for a kosha payment i nthe middle of all these . ?

So asked for another investigation with queries on how someone got in ?

We will see.. the bank has been rather more proactive on this .

C

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annfield-East (Post 2857067)
How do hackers manage to log into someone's Paypal account? I've just logged into mine, but first I had to enter a 6 figure authentication code that was sent to my mobile.

I hardly use Paypal, but for peace of mind I've just removed my linked bank account from it. If I need to add funds in future I will re link it, transfer whatever is needed, then delete it again.

COLVERT 1st January 2021 19:03

WOULD THIS HAVE BEEN OF USE AS PROTECTION ???

Download IBM Security Trusteer Rapport 3.5 Build 2004.84

p2roverman 1st January 2021 19:24

This is rather worrying partly because there is a fair amount in my paypal account but more so as the theft was from his bank account through paypal. First of all I never use the phone for any online banking.
Secondly, on my main computer I do not have the paypal password saved but have to type it in each time (is this the safer or less safe choice?)
Currently having to use a backup computer and each time I log on paypal asks for verification via a phone text to enter.
I'm sure we would all welcome any hints from users as to how to keep our paypal accounts safe.

Saga Lout 1st January 2021 19:37

In November

I went to log in to paypal, it threw up a page that demanded extra information because of the way the EU were making demands. I've waited until we're free of any EU control and I'll try it again over the coming days, there's no way I'm giving information because of the EU, we're not part of it and it's a no.

clf 1st January 2021 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by p2roverman (Post 2857181)
This is rather worrying partly because there is a fair amount in my paypal account but more so as the theft was from his bank account through paypal. First of all I never use the phone for any online banking.
Secondly, on my main computer I do not have the paypal password saved but have to type it in each time (is this the safer or less safe choice?)
Currently having to use a backup computer and each time I log on paypal asks for verification via a phone text to enter.
I'm sure we would all welcome any hints from users as to how to keep our paypal accounts safe.

I rarely have any funds in my Paypal account - normally limited to refunds. But since I rarely inspect my Paypal I would never know if funds 'went missing'. Having the second bank account with limited funds in it, means that if anything goes missing, I spot it quite quickly, however the bank are quick to let you know if you go overdrawn, therefore drawing your attention to it.

As for not having online banking on the phone, the banks etc actively encourage the use of online banking (it saves them employing branch staff unfortunately though), they are responsible for the security of the app/online banking system. You have to make reasonable attempts to keep the device secure of course, but the apps are generally secure, and crucially, if you lose your phone, and funds are accessed by the app on that device, it then becomes the responsibility of the bank (because their security was compromised, providing you didnt leave the pass number/word attached lol).

wullie480 1st January 2021 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2857112)
Same here , always get a text code .... but not i nthe case of these 32 , i've asked for an investigation but they've said it was all authorized so no suspicions were raised. so asked lots of questions as why /how someone got in and I got no texts, I did get one for a kosha payment i nthe middle of all these . ?

So asked for another investigation with queries on how someone got in ?

We will see.. the bank has been rather more proactive on this .

C

I have 2 factor set up as well but I think there is a flaw and when you speak to them maybe ask.
When I login and set this up you enter a mobile or landline number and they send the message to said number and you confirm it’s you however I can add my wife’s mobile number in and it’ll send a code to her phone however this maybe where the flaw is it doesn’t ask me to confirm this number.
So if someone gets into you account and adds there phone number you’ll know nothing about it.
This is my thoughts on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COLVERT 2nd January 2021 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2857172)
WOULD THIS HAVE BEEN OF USE AS PROTECTION ???

Download IBM Security Trusteer Rapport 3.5 Build 2004.84

Nobody ???---This system encodes your pass word.---Recommended by banks.------:shrug:

clf 2nd January 2021 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2857313)
Nobody ???---This system encodes your pass word.---Recommended by banks.------:shrug:

My father ...... recommended and supplied by Santander for his online banking. He is the opposite to me, only using his laptop for online banking.

richw 2nd January 2021 20:58

This might be a bit obvious to some/most/all, but... Do not ever ever re-use passwords for your various account logins. It it far too easy for one site to be fake,or be hacked, and then someone will try your username/password in gmail, amazon, PayPal etc.

COLVERT 2nd January 2021 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by richw (Post 2857358)
This might be a bit obvious to some/most/all, but... Do not ever ever re-use passwords for your various account logins. It it far too easy for one site to be fake,or be hacked, and then someone will try your username/password in gmail, amazon, PayPal etc.

Trusteer changes the password every time.--It doesn't send your password either, just an encoded one.---Get around that if you can, you tealeaves.---:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Atlan 6th January 2021 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2857313)

Booted into touch by Rbs January 2019
https://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/...y/rapport.html
And they advised removing it from your computer also.

torque2me 7th January 2021 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 2856969)
Scum sucking ...........

Precisely what I have done and is linked to my only Wi-Fi card.

Kev

torque2me 7th January 2021 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2857378)
Trusteer changes the password every time.--It doesn't send your password either, just an encoded one.---Get around that if you can, you tealeaves.---:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Does that mean one could use the same password for differing a/c's (not that I would recommend that but one can get password overload)?

Kev

COLVERT 9th January 2021 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlan (Post 2858162)
Booted into touch by Rbs January 2019
https://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/...y/rapport.html
And they advised removing it from your computer also.

It still works OK.---They would like you to use their system.--;)

COLVERT 9th January 2021 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by torque2me (Post 2858332)
Does that mean one could use the same password for differing a/c's (not that I would recommend that but one can get password overload)?

Kev

I believe so.---Would need investigating though to be sure.------:}

ceedy 12th January 2021 13:43

Just an Update..

Making a certain amount of progress .

After the hack which then created a Direct debit on my bank account,
a total of 30 DD's were taken on 31st Dec totaling 4311 quid. it did not touch my Paypal Account funds.

Luckily as I had Sold my Torpedo badges to a member i was on paypal just checking it had gone through, otherwise it could have continued.

Notifed Paypal ,and natwest. And further DD's were blocked by NW as paypal continued to let others through afterwards.

I've created disputes on all the activity, and So far got about 2/3 back so far and I am still pursuing it all.

Then in jan i noticed a Debit card tranaction pending .. so got on the NW reported it and was told it was blocked , following day it was still there and gone to completed .. and lost another 200 quid .

Blew my top on to NW read the riot act and they have refunded it.

Bearing in mind i had taken the card off paypal days before, and cancelled it at NW . :mad:

Being giving paypal a load of public grief on Twitter and on the account but alway dealing a different person each time makes it hard work .
And all the other attempts , paypals so called refunds to source and refunds to bank, that actually went i nto my Paypal account, is jsut confusing the whole senario .

But how both paypal and Natwest did not see 30 DD's on a single day to a single source ( a website called Shopto.net) as not being unusual activity and at least asked a question ??

C.

ceedy 19th January 2021 12:17

At last looks like it been resolved ..

But Felt like I was banging my head on a Wall of idiots at paypal ..

Always a different person always with the same nonsense replies..

In the End i wrote a Long email of complaint to paypal CEO in US , didn't even warrant an acknowledgement :mad:.

So then wrote a similar one to the MD of paypal UK a couple of days ago.

And today had 2 long telephone calls from a Paypal Senior Investigator in Ireland, one to discuss it all , and one an hour later to say its all resolved.
So sorted in an hour, after weeks of nonsense with Customer services.

So got all the frauds back, got my Paypal Balance back and 50 quids compensation. :D..

But what a nightmare dealing with the Monkeys at paypal ..

Even had another text Paypal Scam message today :duh:
with a live Tel Number, all reported ..

Chris

PS ..Now to Concentrate on getting the Refunds on the Disney and unversal Tickets for the failed holiday last year that was moved to this year and now its not going ahead til a lot later hopefully ? and this is more money that the Scam :eek:

ceedy 12th February 2021 10:54

a Source of amusment now

Its now a few weeks since this was all resolved .....But Paypal just keep on .. :duh:

Just checked in on them as I wanted to buy something on Fleabay, and I don't keep much in the account other than the odd Ebay/facebook sales

And there's a message dated this morning.. ref a complaint I recently made about a ebay transaction...

Errmmm no I didn't ? , telling me that i was wrong and it had already been refunded ?.

Actually it was an item I sold that got lost in the post and I refunded it to the buyer ?.

Went on to say ... they take complaints very seriously blah blah!!
and as compensation they are giving me a payment of £271 :eek: ? which should appear in the next 5 days .

This amount was the last figure given to me 3 weeks ago as the final refund.

We will see :D:D

what a bunch of numpties they really are ,I really wonder how they keep going if this is the common standard of customer service.

Chris