The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   They are trying to w/o my 75 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=270729)

NigelOBB 20th July 2017 09:24

They are trying to w/o my 75

Last Thursday, a silly women reversed into my rear door whilst I was parked up.. LV are now saying my 75 is a total loss and offered my £1000 for a fully loaded 04 Contemporary Se.. or £850 and keep car as Cat C.. 😡.

Anyone had any luck in overturning this. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...661ff623a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juego 20th July 2017 09:33

It's a Rover unfortunately they're always gonna write it off as they don't repair them due to being a defunct manufacturer. You can appeal it but they'll still not want to repair it. Tell then you're happy for a repair to be done using good quality second hand parts.

BoroRover 20th July 2017 09:37

Damn, it looks a very nice example. Sorry to hear about the accident. I do hope you save your lovely car.

NigelOBB 20th July 2017 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juego (Post 2519963)
It's a Rover unfortunately they're always gonna write it off as they don't repair them due to being a defunct manufacturer. You can appeal it but they'll still not want to repair it. Tell then you're happy for a repair to be done using good quality second hand parts.

I tried the repaired with good quality second hand Parts, they wouldn't agree.. daft thing is the body shop use a PDR anyway paint work isn't damaged and no creases in steel..

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroRover (Post 2519965)
Damn, it looks a very nice example. Sorry to hear about the accident. I do hope you save your lovely car.

Cheers mate it's not over yet

Bet she's just looked at a few manual petrols..

This is what I've sent them as they only go by autotrader apparently

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9bad7d5747.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9df8c5aa8c.png

coolcat 20th July 2017 10:29

Gutted for you Nigel,

Having seen how stunning your car is I wouldn't accept their offer whatsoever.

Fight your corner Sir. It wasn't your fault that it was damaged so I would be giving the insurance company what for !

NigelOBB 20th July 2017 11:04

Cheers Jeff, 😁 it doesn't help I have a lot on at moment and am really stuck without it 😥

chris75 20th July 2017 11:29

Try telling them you will accept a cash sum in lieu of repairs , and will then repair the car yourself . No Cat C classification then :}
I was trying this route recently with the wife's ZR , which had been similarly damaged in similar circumstances , and they suddenly made us an offer we couldn't refuse so it went . It was collected by Copart and sold at their next auction as a Cat C for £125 . All it needed for a quick fix was a rear door .

monty1 20th July 2017 12:22

following, my disco has just been NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- ended, engineers been so just waiting on the decision.

hope you get a good result mate it looks like a cracking car

ssizefive 20th July 2017 14:51

Are LV your insurers or the other persons? - if they are yours then try dealing direct with the other party insurers, i am sure they will be more than happy to do you a cash in lieu.

Steve

neilll 20th July 2017 16:19

Good luck with your claim Nigel looks a stunning example, with that reg I thought I was looking at my saloon at first! My saloon is a pearl black ZT with my reg ending LGF (next but one from yours) bought from a guy in Reading about 8 years ago!
Neil

NigelOBB 20th July 2017 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssizefive (Post 2520031)
Are LV your insurers or the other persons? - if they are yours then try dealing direct with the other party insurers, i am sure they will be more than happy to do you a cash in lieu.

Steve

LV are my insurers Steve, I contacted them as had doubts the person who reversed into me would contact their and refused to give me the details.

Just got off phone to loss adjusters, spoke to a fellow petrol head, gave him a lesson on the range and values.

He's going to speak to engineer as could find an Se Cdti auto under £2.5k.. said it was borderline to authorise repair.. if not will do his best to arrange cash in Lieu..

Ennine 20th July 2017 17:17

Sorry to read this Nige. I shall follow your progress with interest as I have been with LV a few years now. Always found them very helpful but never made a claim and that's when the true worth of a company is known.
Again, so sorry about the car. I'm sure you must be gutted, I know I would be.

Nige

SD1too 20th July 2017 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelOBB (Post 2520056)
LV are my insurers Steve, I contacted them as had doubts the person who reversed into me would contact their and refused to give me the details.

That sounds suspiciously like they were uninsured. You should follow that up. Were there any witnesses? Did they give a name and address? Did you note the registration number (if so, there's an official website which will tell you if their vehicle is insured).

If LV won't co-operate, I understand that you can "buy back the salvage" for a nominal price. That allows you to keep your car and repair it as you wish. Of course you won't get the bill paid unless you cann track down the third party's insurers and hold them responsible.

It's a minefield. I sympathise.

Simon

NigelOBB 20th July 2017 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2520084)
That sounds suspiciously like they were uninsured. You should follow that up. Were there any witnesses? Did they give a name and address? Did you note the registration number (if so, there's an official website which will tell you if their vehicle is insured).

If LV won't co-operate, I understand that you can "buy back the salvage" for a nominal price. That allows you to keep your car and repair it as you wish. Of course you won't get the bill paid unless you cann track down the third party's insurers and hold them responsible.

It's a minefield. I sympathise.

Simon

It was a mature driver that hit me, think she was hoping it went away more than anything else.. got witnesses.. her company have admitted liability, but something doesn't seem right

ssizefive 20th July 2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelOBB (Post 2520056)

Just got off phone to loss adjusters, spoke to a fellow petrol head, gave him a lesson on the range and values.

He's going to speak to engineer as could find an Se Cdti auto under £2.5k.. said it was borderline to authorise repair.. if not will do his best to arrange cash in Lieu..

Usually insurance companies will write vehicles off at around 75% of the cars retail value but, if i remember correctly, they can authorize to 100% they just don't like to. As for not using 'green' parts, i would imagine they will have to - i can't think there will be too many new doors kicking about.
Fingers crossed they will just cave in & repair it - just keep the pressure on.

Steve.

wmick 20th July 2017 18:37

Keep fighting Nige, get hold of the other party's insurance co and make a claim on them directly, then tell your insurance you won't be claiming on them.
You will however, lose your no claims bonus unless it's protected, so make sure you get it back as well from the other insurance company.
You are the injured party and there is no blame attached to you, make sure your insurance know this and repeat it to them often.

Mick

macafee2 20th July 2017 18:44

I'm sure that legally the other driver has to give you if you ask their name and address, not their company's name and address, theirs. If they wont, then call the police.

macafee2

Graham1961 20th July 2017 18:59

Sorry to hear this Nigel, i have seen your car and yes, it is a stunning example.

I would be inclined to insist they repair your car, or ask for a cash settlement and source a good used door without Cat C ing the car.

Darcydog 20th July 2017 19:15

I do feel for you Nigel - I had someone dent my front passenger door. But no idea who as it was done in a car park with no cctv. Knowing how insurance companies view our cars I have sourced another door from here via the "items wanted" section and hope to fit it soon. Cost of the door is £40 - cheapest dent repair was just under £300.

I was lucky that no other panel other than the door panel was dented.

sewerman 20th July 2017 20:16

Had a similar, are thing last year woman back into my 01 club tourer (170K) anx workhorse condition not show pony, twice with her volvo while it was at the garage havinb some repair work. Went through her insurance they offered me £1200 after taking 125 for scrap value and cat c so took it had to put it back through an mot which I did with the damaged wing and door and it passed, £40 from the wanted see it on got me anew door and wing.

So I would hold out on the price as 1000 is a joke.

Oh and when I told my insurance they said cat c uneconomic to repair as long as it's got an mot were not interested.

Scott

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

NigelOBB 20th July 2017 20:45

Will hopefully find out tomorrow.. sickening thing is the assessor said they won't write it off, even booked it into the body shop.. rimmers still do doors £675.. but the do offer massive discounts to keep out cars on the road. More annoying there was a set of raven black doors on eBay but for a tourer. 😢

Hucklebury 20th July 2017 21:18

insurance claims

When my beloved 800si was pranged the assessor valued it at £300, this I refused my reasoning being I could not replace it for that amount - retail value at the time £1000. Insurance dug their heels in until I threatened court action against their insured, got the full value, sold it spare or repair and bought my 75cdt. Keep badgering them!

SD1too 20th July 2017 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelOBB (Post 2520087)
... her company have admitted liability ..

Great! Tell your insurer (LV) that you're not claiming on your policy, you're claiming on her policy because they have admitted liability. Your excess and NCD should therefore remain intact. If her company tries to resist, tell her that you will have your car repaired and sue her in the County Court for the cost plus your expenses.

Simon

Coups 21st July 2017 09:18

They are trying to w/o my 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelOBB (Post 2520167)
Will hopefully find out tomorrow.. sickening thing is the assessor said they won't write it off, even booked it into the body shop.. rimmers still do doors £675.. but the do offer massive discounts to keep out cars on the road. More annoying there was a set of raven black doors on eBay but for a tourer. 😢

It's only the rear doors window frame that's different! They can be swapped over to suit.

Edit- I'm sorry, totally wrong on this. No idea what I was thinking and clearly getting my cars mixed up.

marinabrian 21st July 2017 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coups (Post 2520352)
It's only the rear doors window frame that's different! They can be swapped over to suit.

Err no they can't it is an integral part of the door ;)

Brian :D

Mickyboy 21st July 2017 15:40

Brian is spot on. Simples
Mick

grivas 21st July 2017 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2520098)
I'm sure that legally the other driver has to give you if you ask their name and address, not their company's name and address, theirs. If they wont, then call the police.

macafee2

ALWAYS call the police no matter the circumstances, report the incident and get a reference. Then call your insurance, make certain they are in no doubt that you are NOT making a claim on your policy, but on the other person's.

GeoffWW 21st July 2017 16:37

I was victim of a similar circumstance after a Mercedese tried to join me in my lane on a roundabout, resulting in both offside doors needing replacing plus a small dint on the sill pulling out. The other driver admitted their fault straight away.
I acquired both offside doors from scrapyards, rear from Cardiff, front from Bolton and fitted them myself, and had sill sorted out by local bodyshop. Total cost £450. I gave the other party the bill and I was given a cheque for the full amount within the week.

NigelOBB 21st July 2017 17:38

Well but off pressures has worked, they've just offered me cash in lieu to value of repair net Vat.. but said if I take it to CF they will also refund me the Vat.. effectively paying for the work in full, if anyone can work that out..

NigelOBB 21st July 2017 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2520518)
Err no they can't it is an integral part of the door ;)

Brian :D

Brian can you recommend anyone?

Fusilier 21st July 2017 17:45

Write Off

Nigel

What about these and in raven black I believe, and you could arrange to get them couriered

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-M...gAAOSwAO9ZPV9x

Stu

PS Just noticed that they are for a tourer, so no good

GeoffWW 21st July 2017 18:33

Nigel,

Who is "CF" in your entry #29 above?

NigelOBB 21st July 2017 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusilier (Post 2520569)
Nigel

What about these and in raven black I believe, and you could arrange to get them couriered

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-M...gAAOSwAO9ZPV9x

Stu

PS Just noticed that they are for a tourer, so no good

They are the ones I spotted Stu was gutted, when I saw they were for a tourer.. might still go for them for from doors though

NigelOBB 21st July 2017 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoffWW (Post 2520587)
Nigel,

Who is "CF" in your entry #29 above?

It's a local body shop

RPWC 21st July 2017 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelOBB (Post 2520598)
It's a local body shop

There is a bodyshop round the corner from me Nige, did a smashing job of my rear bumper, if you want the number, or too far away? He had a 75 once and likes the cars , so even better.

NigelOBB 22nd July 2017 22:11

Think I'm going to be able to get away with paintless dent removal, as paint work un damaged.. had a play around today and got most of it out with my Pure dab windscreen holder of all things lol https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c3ebcdb607.jpg

roverbarmy 23rd July 2017 07:59

If all else fails.......

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001791

?

SD1too 23rd July 2017 08:39

I know that photographs can give a false impression of damage but this seems to expose the utter absurdity of the car insurance system. :devil: LV wants to send that car to the crusher because a minor scrape would cost more to rectify than its trade value. What has the trade value got to do with anything? :shrug: Nige has paid his premium and the insurance company has accepted the risk so they should pay up! In this case LV won't suffer any loss anyway because they're recovering it from the third party. The same argument appies to their insurer: pay up!

We buy comprehensive policies believing that they're going to be just that, but very often they are not. In situations like Nige's, a TPF&T policy saves you from the antics of your own insurer which are not in your best interests. In my experience the third party insurer does not resist if they are rightly liable to rectify your damage. This approach does involve taking a realistic view of the risk at which you place yourself every time you drive your car anywhere. Unlike the insurance company who bases this on statistics, you can make your own judgement based on your own personal circumstances, and you'll have to accept paying for any damage which you accidentally cause yourself to your own car.

I know that this idea will find few takers, but Nige is not the only one to find himself under a lot of stress and having to do a lot of work when he thought that he could relax and let an apparently benevolent insurance company sort everything out.

I will now reach for my tin hat and take to the trenches. ;)

Simon

Avulon 23rd July 2017 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2520543)
ALWAYS call the police no matter the circumstances, report the incident and get a reference. Then call your insurance, make certain they are in no doubt that you are NOT making a claim on your policy, but on the other person's.

:wot: + get contact details for any witnesses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2521175)
I know that photographs can give a false impression of damage but this seems to expose the utter absurdity of the car insurance system. :devil: LV wants to send that car to the crusher because a minor scrape would cost more to rectify than its trade value. What has the trade value got to do with anything? :shrug: Nige has paid his premium and the insurance company has accepted the risk so they should pay up! In this case LV won't suffer any loss anyway because they're recovering it from the third party. The same argument appies to their insurer: pay up!

We buy comprehensive policies believing that they're going to be just that, but very often they are not. In situations like Nige's, a TPF&T policy saves you from the antics of your own insurer which are not in your best interests. In my experience the third party insurer does not resist if they are rightly liable to rectify your damage. This approach does involve taking a realistic view of the risk at which you place yourself every time you drive your car anywhere. Unlike the insurance company who bases this on statistics, you can make your own judgement based on your own personal circumstances, and you'll have to accept paying for any damage which you accidentally cause yourself to your own car.

I know that this idea will find few takers, but Nige is not the only one to find himself under a lot of stress and having to do a lot of work when he thought that he could relax and let an apparently benevolent insurance company sort everything out.

I will now reach for my tin hat and take to the trenches. ;)

Simon

Absolutely agree, comprehensive insurance is ONLY of use when you are the one 100% responsible for the damage to your car. Unless that is the case then make sure when notifying them of an accident that it is only a notification and not a claim. Then pursue the 3rd party insurer aggressively, do not accept the first offer, or any offer until it's obvious you are absolutely at the best you can get (which may not be as much as you want). And remember, your car is yours right up until you agree (if at all) to a full write-off with no buy-back (this is why it's important to recover it either to your home, or your choice of garage/repair workshop).

In my case the only reason these days for having comprehensive cover is that it's cheaper than tpft most of the time.

NigelOBB 23rd July 2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2521161)

From the engineers estimate, I think they priced the job from rimmers..

Anyone know it they are still discounting to keep the cars on road?

MSS 23rd July 2017 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2520543)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2521202)
:wot: + get contact details for any witnesses.

Why attempt to call the police unless a) it is a serious accident or b) someone is injured or c) it is not possible to swap details such as name and address or d) you suspect the other party has committed a criminal offence e.g uninsured, drunk...?

To do so, all it will achieve is to waste police time, which these days is scarce. There is nothing the police can do - it is your word against the other party's as to what occurred in the case of "minor accidents".

If you wish to file an accident report, most forces make it possible to do so online.

Other than satisfying the above conditions, if the other party refuses to reimburse you for your losses it is a civil matter and you will need to take the party to court with your own witnesses and experts etc.

gazcaz 23rd July 2017 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelOBB (Post 2519959)
Last Thursday, a silly women reversed into my rear door whilst I was parked up.. LV are now saying my 75 is a total loss and offered my £1000 for a fully loaded 04 Contemporary Se.. or £850 and keep car as Cat C.. 😡.

Anyone had any luck in overturning this. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...661ff623a0.jpg

Makes my blood boil this situation.The car is a fine example and they want to write it off idiots.....This is what scares me that our cars are hit by someone else and they want to write it of ,why do we pay insurance i have never claimed in my life now 50 years old how much have they had of me ? and then i may need £1500 worth of fixing done and they say no i would fight it all the way ....:mad:

MGjim 23rd July 2017 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazcaz (Post 2521281)
Makes my blood boil this situation.The car is a fine example and they want to write it off idiots.....This is what scares me that our cars are hit by someone else and they want to write it of ,why do we pay insurance i have never claimed in my life now 50 years old how much have they had of me ? and then i may need £1500 worth of fixing done and they say no i would fight it all the way ....:mad:

This is exactly what worries me with my ZT-T, if someone hits it, any small amount of damage and they'll write it off, incidentally, has anyone noticed the irony of the opticians in the background being closed.....:duh:

SD1too 23rd July 2017 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGjim (Post 2521381)
This is exactly what worries me with my ZT-T, if someone hits it, any small amount of damage and they'll write it off ...

See my post no. 38 for a solution Jim. ;)

Simon

steve-45 25th July 2017 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelOBB (Post 2519982)
Cheers Jeff, �� it doesn't help I have a lot on at moment and am really stuck without it ��

Why are you stuck WITHOUT IT ?

Its only a little dent, so carry on using it until your ready to make a decision.

From the photograph it does not look unsafe or illegal to use.

smeegol 25th July 2017 11:01

I too had my 75 wrote off as a cat C after a woman reversed out of a space into my car. there was a slight dint in the wing and wheel. The bills for repair were obscene that the insurance were quoted (as i had the summary of what was needed). The problem is they have to use new parts and that included a new wheel. These parts are not cheap. we ourselves could do it for £100 total but there price was£900 + and they my car was worth £1500 so i accepted and bout it back for £120.
Took it straight round to the M.O.T centre and back on road next day without any need of a repair.
The guy at MG specialists laughed when i asked him if he could point out the cat C damage as he never noticed anything.
Try and ask them to cat D it instead. It will not make any difference on your insurance but just the value of the car.

NigelOBB 25th July 2017 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2521691)
Why are you stuck WITHOUT IT ?

Its only a little dent, so carry on using it until your ready to make a decision.

From the photograph it does not look unsafe or illegal to use.

They initially wrote the car off, either way would have caused a lot of inconvenience. That's been overturned now.. the damage is nothing.

Avulon 26th July 2017 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2521215)
Why attempt to call the police unless a) it is a serious accident or b) someone is injured or c) it is not possible to swap details such as name and address or d) you suspect the other party has committed a criminal offence e.g uninsured, drunk...?

To do so, all it will achieve is to waste police time, which these days is scarce. There is nothing the police can do - it is your word against the other party's as to what occurred in the case of "minor accidents".

If you wish to file an accident report, most forces make it possible to do so online.

Other than satisfying the above conditions, if the other party refuses to reimburse you for your losses it is a civil matter and you will need to take the party to court with your own witnesses and experts etc.

Always suspect 'd)' : it's the only reasonable thing to do, because: if you don't and they do fall into the 'd)' category you've delayed reporting it. It's not for me to ask another driver to take a breath test (in which case the delay means they get away with it) or check their licence hasn't been suspended etc...