The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   OBDII - Nice Little Android Phone App (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=119110)

DaveyC 10th July 2012 19:08

OBDII - Nice Little Android Phone App

Just thought it may be worth sharing a recent purchase that's both reasonably priced and does exactly what it says on the tin.......

Bought an app for my android phone called "Torque BHP" more on it at:
http://torque-bhp.com/

To go with this I bought the following bluetooth adapter from the Bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2308005717...84.m1497.l2648

After pairing the adapter to my phone, I fired up the App and hey presto! Loads of data from my ECU about temperatures, MAF performance, boost pressures, fuel mixtures, the list just goes on and on and on.

Its fully configurable and even reads fault codes. You can also clear them and I am still finding out what it can do. All I know is that its shown me that I have had a few issues but after a bit of tinker under the bonnet and resetting the fault codes, the errors have not come back, so fingers crossed its looking good.

There is probably a whole heap of stuff I have not even found out or touched on. There is a free app available so you check out the look an feel and get an idea of the features. I have also had a go with it on the other half's Pug 207, which sends data much quicker due to it being a much newer standard, so it works on pretty much any car with an OBD socket.

Dave :D:D:D:D

Kiltman 10th July 2012 19:27

I have this, great piece of kit!

DaveyC 10th July 2012 19:34

To think, I nearly bought a crappy generic code reader for about £25. This thing would be great if you mounted a screen on the dash. You can have multiple screens of real time data, plus performance from gps and on-board accelerometers on the phone, which give performance and calculated bhp.

Is it just me, or has this one slipped under the radar? :shrug:

al_dente 10th July 2012 19:39

Thanks Dave

I've just ordered one. Currently we have a Skoda Fabia Mk1 and a Citroen Xsara Picasso.

Pretty sue it will work with the Fabia. Hopefully it will with the Xsara too - I'm having some issues with the temperature sensor and this will help diagnose the prob.

Al

Unclefista 10th July 2012 19:41

I've been using it over a year now, my favourite feature is the plug-in which allows you to stick your phone on the dash and video record your trip.
When you play it back it has dials overlayed showing speed, boost etc in real time, it also has your position on google maps cleverly overlayed on the video. Clever stuff, especially for track days.

DaveyC 10th July 2012 19:47

Just wish I had discovered this when I had my Alfa. Would have saved me hours and loads of cash LOL. :getmecoat:

suzublu 10th July 2012 19:53

Also good if you have an android head unit installed so you have it on the main display.:} I've seen guys with a 7" tablet installed on the dash with it running.

Simondi 10th July 2012 20:07

Now that does look interesting. do you know is there an option where you could set an alarm if the coolant reaches a set temperature etc?

suzublu 10th July 2012 20:11

I think you can set a max line for the reading Simon,but you'll know if its too high by looking at it :shrug::} Are you going to Gretna?I'll bring mine for you to look at

Simondi 10th July 2012 20:17

I'm not sure about Gretna, we are going away the following day so I will need to apply for shore leave!!
I may give it a go anyhow:D

suzublu 10th July 2012 20:20

It's a useful little app for not a lot :} Saves looking at the obd all the time,you know what our 1.8's are like :getmecoat::D:D

Unclefista 10th July 2012 21:06

Here's a screenshot of my thermostat test I did a few months ago using Torque, it looks like it's in working order to me :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6...509a5d8d_b.jpg

DaveyC 10th July 2012 21:10

Looks like you can set alarms for max values and also set the scale on gauges too.

If you go into options while the unit is hooked up and running it will tell you all the readings available, they are in green in the pick lists. There seem to be quite a lot for the diesel.......

rover54 10th July 2012 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1051237)
Just thought it may be worth sharing a recent purchase that's both reasonably priced and does exactly what it says on the tin.......

Bought an app for my android phone called "Torque BHP" more on it at:
http://torque-bhp.com/

To go with this I bought the following bluetooth adapter from the Bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2308005717...84.m1497.l2648

After pairing the adapter to my phone, I fired up the App and hey presto! Loads of data from my ECU about temperatures, MAF performance, boost pressures, fuel mixtures, the list just goes on and on and on.

Its fully configurable and even reads fault codes. You can also clear them and I am still finding out what it can do. All I know is that its shown me that I have had a few issues but after a bit of tinker under the bonnet and resetting the fault codes, the errors have not come back, so fingers crossed its looking good.

There is probably a whole heap of stuff I have not even found out or touched on. There is a free app available so you check out the look an feel and get an idea of the features. I have also had a go with it on the other half's Pug 207, which sends data much quicker due to it being a much newer standard, so it works on pretty much any car with an OBD socket.

Dave :D:D:D:D

Did you download it from http://torque-bhp.com/ or from somewhere else, as I cannot see where on the site it is downloaded from.

Kiltman 11th July 2012 04:35

I downloaded from Android Market, presume its still on there.

sworks 11th July 2012 05:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 1051331)
I think you can set a max line for the reading Simon,but you'll know if its too high by looking at it :shrug::} Are you going to Gretna?I'll bring mine for you to look at

I'd be interested in seeing it Ronnie, anybody know if there is an apple app?

J1MBO 11th July 2012 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 1051574)
I'd be interested in seeing it Ronnie, anybody know if there is an apple app?

Afaik it is, I have the pro version on android using a galaxy tab.

marke46320d 11th July 2012 06:48

Yeah would love something like this on my iphone

rovexCDTi 11th July 2012 06:54

The Apps developer says that Apples 'unique' (rubbish) implementation of bluetooth makes his app impossible, or at least did when he tried, but there are probably less functional OBD apps on the app store.

DaveyC 11th July 2012 07:16

App is in two versions, free limited use and paid with all the bells and whistles. Both are on Android market. Not sure about IPhone support but sure someone on here will post their findings. This will work on any Bluetooth enabled android tablet. So u could have a really big display or have loads of dials on one screen.

Just done trip to work on mine. It can graph sensor outputs for chosen sensors. No idea what I can do with that but how cool loll. :-)

brianw 11th July 2012 18:32

Thanks for the heads up on this app.
I have downloaded the app and ordered the bluetooth dongle last night as soon as I saw your post. I look forward to having a play when it arrives.:)
BTW Does anyone know if you can use it to reset the service interval?
I have oil and filter in the boot ready for change as soon as I get the chance.

Kiltman 11th July 2012 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianw (Post 1052020)
Thanks for the heads up on this app.
I have downloaded the app and ordered the bluetooth dongle last night as soon as I saw your post. I look forward to having a play when it arrives.:)
BTW Does anyone know if you can use it to reset the service interval?
I have oil and filter in the boot ready for change as soon as I get the chance.

Hi, I don't believe it will reset the service interval but a great piece of kit nonetheless

brianw 11th July 2012 19:04

All that technology and it still cannot replace a paper clip!!!:D

Seriously though it looks a really great bit of kit and as the phone would be with me in the car anyway the ability to monitor items if required is really good - not to mention the play value:)

bigbird 11th July 2012 20:32

I bought mine on the recommendation of Kiltman:bowdown: cracking piece of kit been using it all the time since the P.O.L.. I bought a small magnet which sticks to the back of the phone (Galaxy s2..) and the other piece sticks to the dash easy to read and especially good for monitoring engine temp..:D

DaveyC 11th July 2012 21:13

Anyone used the H.U.D. facility on this?

Simon.h 14th July 2012 13:55

Daveyc are you mad, you paid £315 for the BlueTooth ELM327 Car Scan Tool ODB Fault Scan Tool from ebay!

Simondi 14th July 2012 14:11

My bluetooth adapter arrived this morning so I downloaded the app and went out to play.

I have to say I'm impressed. The display can be edited to display exactly what you want and alarms can be set once predetermined settings have been reached. As a 1.8 owner clearly this is of great use as I can now see my temperature reading without having to mess around with the OBD displays. As a test I set the upper warning limit to 80C and waited. As soon as the temp hit 80 bingo a very annoying and persistent alarm went off. Very pleased indeed. Not bad for less than £20:D

A couple of questions, is it OK to leave the bluetooth adapter in situ? Just paranoid about the battery!
Also is there any other setting it would be sensible to monitor in order to help identify possible HGF?

Kiltman 14th July 2012 14:24

[QUOTE=Simondi;1054009]My bluetooth adapter arrived this morning so I downloaded the app and went out to play.

I have to say I'm impressed. The display can be edited to display exactly what you want and alarms can be set once predetermined settings have been reached. As a 1.8 owner clearly this is of great use as I can now see my temperature reading without having to mess around with the OBD displays. As a test I set the upper warning limit to 80C and waited. As soon as the temp hit 80 bingo a very annoying and persistent alarm went off. Very pleased indeed. Not bad for less than £20:D

A couple of questions, is it OK to leave the bluetooth adapter in situ? Just paranoid about the battery!
Also is there any other setting it would be sensible to monitor in order to help identify possible HGF?[/QUO

I have had no problem with leaving the adapter in situ

DaveyC 14th July 2012 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon.h (Post 1053995)
Daveyc are you mad, you paid £315 for the BlueTooth ELM327 Car Scan Tool ODB Fault Scan Tool from ebay!

Mad? Possibly. However, I didn't pay £315 for the ELM327. I paid £15 (ish).

:D

savi18 14th July 2012 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1054111)
Mad? Possibly. However, I didn't pay £315 for the ELM327. I paid £15 (ish).

Where can i get one for 15 quid, dont want to pay 315 pounds which is what it is on Ebay

DaveyC 14th July 2012 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by savi18 (Post 1054252)
Where can i get one for 15 quid, dont want to pay 315 pounds which is what it is on Ebay

Hi,

Try this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANDROID-TO...ht_2618wt_1037

Dave :D

savi18 14th July 2012 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1054316)

Cheers Dave, there is a few on Ebay, but the one you posted looks the best one,Cheers

DaveyC 14th July 2012 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by savi18 (Post 1054334)
Cheers Dave, there is a few on Ebay, but the one you posted looks the best one,Cheers

I have just plugged mine in and left it there. having trouble with top hose/thermostat/overheating last day or so, so its paid for itself already :D

petespieces 15th July 2012 07:17

I do not have an Android phone, my mobile is very old but still suits my needs, simply make and receive calls when travelling to and from the UK.

Question is can Android apps be run on a laptop PC or can a tablet be used without a sim card :confused:

Thanks

Pete

rovexCDTi 15th July 2012 07:46

There are PC apps that can do similar things, but they arent as pretty or easy to use.

You can run android apps on a PC via an emulator called Bluestacks. Whether it works with torque i dont know. Personally i find it unstable to say the least.

Tablets dont need a SIM card, many have no SIM slot, they are wifi only. A good start would be the new Google ASUS Nexus 7, the absolutely latest in Android software and a very good spec for a bargain price.

https://play.google.com/store/device...orpus_selector

DaveyC 15th July 2012 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by petespieces (Post 1054462)
I do not have an Android phone, my mobile is very old but still suits my needs, simply make and receive calls when travelling to and from the UK.

Question is can Android apps be run on a laptop PC or can a tablet be used without a sim card :confused:

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

You could use an Android tablet so long as it meets 2 simple criteria;

1. It can access the Android Play Store (aka Market). You will need to setup a Google account for this (Google mail), unless you already have an account that is.

2. The tablet would have to have Bluetooth connectivity, nearly all of them do. You should be able to pick up a cheap tablet like this one: http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/pro...tooth-3-0-2-1/

As far as I am aware, you can't run Android Apps on a laptop or a PC (unless anyone else here has experience of doing this - you woul need to run the apps .APK file in some sort of Android environment on the laptop??). A bit out may area of expertise at that point

Dave :)

SteveT 15th July 2012 08:48

Does anyone know if my 2003 diesel is ODBII compliant? It was mandatory for diesels from 2004 onwards, but some cars were compliant before then. I just wondered if Rover was one of them.

Cheers,

Steve

DaveyC 15th July 2012 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveT (Post 1054494)
Does anyone know if my 2003 diesel is ODBII compliant? It was mandatory for diesels from 2004 onwards, but some cars were compliant before then. I just wondered if Rover was one of them.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Mines a 53 plate ZT-T diesel and it works fine with my phone. There are of course less parameters available than on newer cars but you get all the important stuff and the refresh rate is not too bad if you limit each screen to less than six gauges at a time.

Dave

rovexCDTi 15th July 2012 09:11

None of the Rovers give much information at any age, only basic engine data. You cant get data from the ABS or air-con for example.

There is no cut off point for the OBD compliance on the diesels, some 2003 will be, some wont be, some older ones are.

TR75 15th July 2012 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1054508)
None of the Rovers give much information at any age, only basic engine data. You cant get data from the ABS or air-con for example.

There is no cut off point for the OBD compliance on the diesels, some 2003 will be, some wont be, some older ones are.

Would it literally be a case of buy it and try it then? Or can I presume my 2001 CDT definitely won't be OBD compliant?

DaveyC 15th July 2012 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR75 (Post 1054605)
Would it literally be a case of buy it and try it then? Or can I presume my 2001 CDT definitely won't be OBD compliant?

I just took a punt. However, I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 that I can use it on and have used it on a couple of my friends cars, so the fact it worked on ZT was a bonus. :}

brianw 15th July 2012 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR75 (Post 1054605)

On seeing this thread I downloaded the full version of the app and bought the bluetooth device in the link.
Arrived a couple of days ago now.
Mine is a 51 plate first reg March 02 from memory.
Worked straight away - no problems with connection.
When you add a dial or whatever to the screen you will see a list of all the possible items you want it to show. The available options are in green.
As said the options are limited but some of course dont apply to our cars anyway.
Quite quick to search the ecu for fault codes Happily none were found stored:)
I think it well worth the small outlay to have it available at any time.
Not had a chance to do much with it yet but I did log the coolant temp on journey to work the other day and set an alarm so a voice told me when it got to temperature. I reckon this could be a great boon to the 1.8 owners as you can decide what temperature you want as maximum and it will give you an audible message if you reach it so even if you have forgotten to monitor guage you are warned.

petespieces 16th July 2012 20:07

Interesting stuff.

I have loaded BlueStacks onto my PC, it seems to work OK, I have ordered the device from Ebay and will report back when it arrives.

Thanks

Pete.

DaveyC 17th July 2012 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by petespieces (Post 1055643)
Interesting stuff.

I have loaded BlueStacks onto my PC, it seems to work OK, I have ordered the device from Ebay and will report back when it arrives.

Hi Pete,

Do you have a link for the download of that program?

Cheers,

Dave:D

rovexCDTi 17th July 2012 06:34

http://bluestacks.com/

Its not that easy though, its not very stable, it needs the apps .apk file to install, it doesn't connect to google play and often doesnt connect to wifi, bluetooth etc depending on the hardware you have.

There are loads and loads of PC OBD programs, just search for some.

mrsimon 17th July 2012 07:17

Blue tooth

So, how does it 'plug in'? I couldn't see on the advert.
sorry for stupid question!

Mark2000cc 17th July 2012 07:35

Just what info can you see ob these cars then, can you see bhp and 0-60 times, fuel consumption ie mpg if so think i will get it.

Kiltman 17th July 2012 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2000cc (Post 1055878)
Just what info can you see ob these cars then, can you see bhp and 0-60 times, fuel consumption ie mpg if so think i will get it.

Yes, you can see BHP, 0-60, quarter mile, mpg, temp, revs, throttle position, acceleration, speed, torque, and much much more!

petespieces 17th July 2012 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsimon (Post 1055870)
So, how does it 'plug in'? I couldn't see on the advert.
sorry for stupid question!

See post 31

petespieces 19th July 2012 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1055860)
http://bluestacks.com/

Its not that easy though, its not very stable, it needs the apps .apk file to install, it doesn't connect to google play and often doesnt connect to wifi, bluetooth etc depending on the hardware you have.

There are loads and loads of PC OBD programs, just search for some.

Received the car gismo today, PC recognises it but bluestacks & torque doesn't :shrug:

Pete

DaveyC 19th July 2012 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by petespieces (Post 1057871)
Received the car gismo today, PC recognises it but bluestacks & torque doesn't :shrug:

Pete

Daft question but have you paired the bluetooth adaptor you received with your phone first? I had to do this with mine. After that it pairs automatically.

petespieces 19th July 2012 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1057892)
Daft question but have you paired the bluetooth adaptor you received with your phone first? I had to do this with mine. After that it pairs automatically.

Not using a phone, Im running bluestacks on my PC, it's an android emulator, I have paired the adaptor with the PC.

DaveyC 19th July 2012 19:19

Is the emulator not running in a shell / sandbox within your pc / laptop? If it is, it wont truly use the bluetooth will it?:confused:

petespieces 19th July 2012 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1057904)
Is the emulator not running in a shell / sandbox within your pc / laptop? If it is, it wont truly use the bluetooth will it?:confused:

I aint got a clue :}

DaveyC 19th July 2012 19:27

Have you made your laptop's bluetooth adaptor discoverable for other devices. It may just be that.

petespieces 19th July 2012 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1057909)
Have you made your laptop's bluetooth adaptor discoverable for other devices. It may just be that.

Yep done that, I have an old bluetooth phone which works OK from the PC.

DaveyC 19th July 2012 19:39

Just been "trying" to play with Bluestacks on both my laptops and on 2 different versions of windows on both. It just doesn't run. Bombs out every time on loading. Have to say its poor. This is no doubt what the issue is. Do you not have any sort of android device you could try the Torque app with? :confused:

petespieces 19th July 2012 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1057920)
Just been "trying" to play with Bluestacks on both my laptops and on 2 different versions of windows on both. It just doesn't run. Bombs out every time on loading. Have to say its poor. This is no doubt what the issue is. Do you not have any sort of android device you could try the Torque app with? :confused:

No nothing to try it on, from other posts it does work OK, apparently not with an emulator though.

I might go shopping tomorrow for a tablet, not sure if the operating system language is selectable though, I am in France but would need english :}

rovexCDTi 19th July 2012 19:58

Forget Bluestack, i said it wasnt likely to work. There are plenty of PC programs to try that do work. Just google for them.

If you want a tablet to use get a Nexus 7, you wont find better for the price, or double the price really. Most androids ask you what language you want in the initial set-up.

DaveyC 19th July 2012 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by petespieces (Post 1057938)
No nothing to try it on, from other posts it does work OK, apparently not with an emulator though.

I might go shopping tomorrow for a tablet, not sure if the operating system language is selectable though, I am in France but would need english :}

First time you fire up an Android device it will ask you to select your country and this should set the language. You need to ensure its Android 2.3 (Ginger Bread)or above. 3.0 is Honey Comb, 4.0 Is Ice Cream Sandwhich and the newest 4.1 is Jelly Bean. You dont have to spend a lot to get something that shouldwork for you. Obviously make sure it has blue tooh :D Failing that, a very cheap Android phone will see you right...... :D:D:D:D

petespieces 19th July 2012 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1057951)
First time you fire up an Android device it will ask you to select your country and this should set the language. You need to ensure its Android 2.3 (Ginger Bread)or above. 3.0 is Honey Comb, 4.0 Is Ice Cream Sandwhich and the newest 4.1 is Jelly Bean. You dont have to spend a lot to get something that shouldwork for you. Obviously make sure it has blue tooh :D Failing that, a very cheap Android phone will see you right...... :D:D:D:D

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, I'll see what I can find locally.

Pete.

rovexCDTi 19th July 2012 20:07

https://play.google.com/store/device...MTg5NjUwMzYiXQ..

I assume its for sale in france.

petespieces 19th July 2012 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1057957)

Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.

:shrug:

DaveyC 19th July 2012 20:17

Its THE Google device to get but if you only want to use it for Torque. Just get something cheap and have fun with it. :D

rovexCDTi 19th July 2012 20:17

Other retailers might sell it. Its the latest Android device, and being a Nexus it will be updated regularly.

EDIT: Actually France have some messed up laws which might prevent its USE, if not sale.

Just be careful, many of the chinese tablets have no bluetooth. Stick to an Android phone.

petespieces 19th July 2012 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1057970)
Other retailers might sell it. Its the latest Android device, and being a Nexus it will be updated regularly.

EDIT: Actually France have some messed up laws which might prevent its USE, if not sale.

Just be careful, many of the chinese tablets have no bluetooth. Stick to an Android phone.

I'm back in the UK in September maybe I will wait until then :}

jimn 19th July 2012 20:22

I got one of the devices in the first post, at first I thought connector on my '02 CDT was different but it plugged in fine, paired it with my Desire HD and it just worked with the torque BHP app. I've been out for a good drive and now I just need to check the kind of data it logged.

tourer 19th July 2012 21:14

Hi,
I am showing my age as I am not sure what an "android" is.

I own an Ipad. Are there any dongles and Apps that I can use to gain the diagnostic and performance figures you are all talking about?

Thanks in advance.

DaveyC 20th July 2012 05:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourer (Post 1058067)
Hi,
I am showing my age as I am not sure what an "android" is.

I own an Ipad. Are there any dongles and Apps that I can use to gain the diagnostic and performance figures you are all talking about?

Thanks in advance.

I am not aware of any for the I-pad / I-phone but there may be if you search the Apple store / I-tiunes?

Android is the operating system, such as Windows. Its whole code is what is called "open source", which means anyone can develop or write for it and it can pretty much be put on any device that has hardware suitable for it. This is the complete opposite of the Apple model, which is pretty much locked down. Both approaches have their merits and both have their enthusiastic followers. Its a case of pay your money and take your choice.

It was primarily designed for phones but has made the leap to tablets (I-pad style devices).

All I know is, I stumbled on this app for my phone and bought the device for the car and its been fantastic. If anyone has any other cars that are newer than the ZT / 75, give it a try on them. They have even more parameters available. Not sure what the hell some of them are but very impressive and keeps the kids amused on long trips!

tourer 20th July 2012 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyC (Post 1058227)
I am not aware of any for the I-pad / I-phone but there may be if you search the Apple store / I-tiunes?

Android is the operating system, such as Windows. Its whole code is what is called "open source", which means anyone can develop or write for it and it can pretty much be put on any device that has hardware suitable for it. This is the complete opposite of the Apple model, which is pretty much locked down. Both approaches have their merits and both have their enthusiastic followers. Its a case of pay your money and take your choice.

It was primarily designed for phones but has made the leap to tablets (I-pad style devices).

All I know is, I stumbled on this app for my phone and bought the device for the car and its been fantastic. If anyone has any other cars that are newer than the ZT / 75, give it a try on them. They have even more parameters available. Not sure what the hell some of them are but very impressive and keeps the kids amused on long trips!

Many thanks Davey for your detailed attempt to bring an old geezer up to date with these things.

If anyone else knows if I can use an Ipad for diagnostics, temperature read-out etc, please let me know.

Thanks again.

petespieces 20th July 2012 08:07

Any thoughts on this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2308094090...84.m1423.l2649

StewartIngram 27th July 2012 17:55

OK I bought one of these little gadgets from ebay. But how the **** do you get it to work? I work as a telecoms tech with cradio & pc but I'm stumped.
Just to recap:
Car is a Y plate 2.5KV6 Connie.
I'm trying first on the desktop PC, Wndows XP Pro as it is easier to navigate.
Also have a netbook with same, but an intermittent fault (pc switches off) deters me at the mo.
And I have an HTC smartphone, Windows &.

The jiffy bag contained the ELM327 and a mini CD.
The CD will not autorun, and is hard to navigate/browse. I assume I need to find a WinXP folder but can't, there are Android, Vista, Bluetooth etc folders as well as apps which I assume refer to the ELM327.
Any guidance appreciated with thanks....

Stewart

suzublu 27th July 2012 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by StewartIngram (Post 1063621)
OK I bought one of these little gadgets from ebay. But how the **** do you get it to work? I work as a telecoms tech with cradio & pc but I'm stumped.
Just to recap:
Car is a Y plate 2.5KV6 Connie.
I'm trying first on the desktop PC, Wndows XP Pro as it is easier to navigate.
Also have a netbook with same, but an intermittent fault (pc switches off) deters me at the mo.
And I have an HTC smartphone, Windows &.

The jiffy bag contained the ELM327 and a mini CD.
The CD will not autorun, and is hard to navigate/browse. I assume I need to find a WinXP folder but can't, there are Android, Vista, Bluetooth etc folders as well as apps which I assume refer to the ELM327.
Any guidance appreciated with thanks....

Stewart

You download the Torque app to your phone,put the ELM into the obd socket in the car,allow bluetooth connection from your phone & the ELM, & then you can use all the functions on Torque:shrug:

psmith 28th July 2012 09:27

Downloaded app. Ordered bluetooth obd dongle. Cant wait for it to arrive. Whats the best profile setup for a 75 diesel?

rovexCDTi 28th July 2012 09:54

Just enter all the details you can think of. When it asks for weight add the weight plus driver weight and add a bit for anything extra you have. Book for mine is 1585kg (i think), so i set mine to 1750 because i have a sub, boot battery and not inconsiderable personal bulk..

petespieces 28th July 2012 10:30

Hmm. bought a tablet, installed Torque pro and Ebay dongle.

Everything connects but I get a temperature reading of -40, revs, kph etc are OK.

I also get a verbal warning of icy conditions, quite funny as the temp outside today is around 26c :}

rovexCDTi 28th July 2012 10:33

I think -40 is the temperature the sensor reports if its faulty. Its not uncommon.

petespieces 28th July 2012 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1063961)
I think -40 is the temperature the sensor reports if its faulty. Its not uncommon.

Is it the same sensor that the on-screen (dashboard) diagnostics use because that reads OK.

Thanks

Pete.

rovexCDTi 28th July 2012 11:06

Depends which sensor the ODB is reading. It has many options. Is it the outside temp, intake temp, water temp?

petespieces 28th July 2012 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1063984)
Depends which sensor the ODB is reading. It has many options. Is it the outside temp, intake temp, water temp?

Well all the car diagnostics readings seem OK, so I suppose I have a problem with the Torque software or the Ebay dongle.

DaveyC 28th July 2012 11:14

I just played with all the settings until I got what I liked. after about a month of driving round with the setup, all I have now is a coolant dial and boost pressure dial. Have put a verbal warning on the temp at 105c. I know it can go there under "normal" conditions but I like to know its working LOL.

rovexCDTi 28th July 2012 11:28

Slightly odd, i dont have any sensor errors. Have you used it to check for ECU error codes?

petespieces 28th July 2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1063998)
Slightly odd, i dont have any sensor errors. Have you used it to check for ECU error codes?

Yes that is returning no errors past or current:shrug:

petespieces 28th July 2012 18:57

Just noticed on the torque temperature dial it says no data for a second before displaying -40c :shrug:

lovema75 28th July 2012 19:19

Has anyone yet tried the gadget with an iPhone? I've down loaded a similair app but wonder if it will communicate with the Eml 327?

mmarks 28th July 2012 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovema75 (Post 1064280)
Has anyone yet tried the gadget with an iPhone? I've down loaded a similair app but wonder if it will communicate with the Eml 327?

I believe the iPhone will only pair with approved Bluetooth device types.

Jakg 28th July 2012 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovema75 (Post 1064280)

Bluetooth and the iPhone don't really get on :(

I used to have a Motorola Xoom with an ELM327 clone / Torque and it was awesome, but now I have an iPhone / iPad and no such option :(

lovema75 28th July 2012 19:31

Thought so, thank you.

StewartIngram 29th July 2012 08:09

Where do I find the Torque appl? Just gone through the minidisc and can't find it.

Stewart

suzublu 29th July 2012 09:00

From the app store on your phone,or google play.You can get the free version,but for about £2 get the full version.The app designer even has his own forum if you have any queries.

Ivan 29th July 2012 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakg (Post 1064291)
Bluetooth and the iPhone don't really get on :(

I used to have a Motorola Xoom with an ELM327 clone / Torque and it was awesome, but now I have an iPhone / iPad and no such option :(

if you get a wifi dongle like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1108684235...84.m1497.l2649 it should work .... i have one on order atm, so will let you know as soon as it arrives :cool2:

StewartIngram 29th July 2012 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 1064678)
From the app store on your phone,or google play.You can get the free version,but for about £2 get the full version.The app designer even has his own forum if you have any queries.

No good for me I'm afraid? I've an HTC running WINDOWS. I can't gain access to the Google store to purchase it, even if it would work on my phone.

MangoMan 30th July 2012 13:56

Hi, just to follow-up on this, can someone please inform me as to the best deal on one of these please?

Thanks.

Dorset Bob 30th July 2012 14:33

I went for a mini Bluetooth OBD2 adapter, rather than a full size one in the OP, so it wouldn’t get in the way too much when driving, as that is when you also want to capture data IMO.

Very pleased with this one:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-E...item3f14a1a7e2
For under £14, delivered, then a few pounds for the full version Torque app.
A bargain in my book :D.

This is assuming you have an android mobile or tablet, with Bluetooth though.

SWStuPiDent 30th July 2012 14:47

I'm interested in this, purely to keep an eye on the coolant temp on my 1.8.

Is it easy to plug in, and where is the relevant socket located?

Also, is it easy to transfer between cars, as my brother would be more than impressed, he's got a 206 diesel

For £15 it seems a small price to play for piece of mind over the coolant temp and poss head gasket damage...

Also, would be nice to know what MPG i'm getting, as i had that on my old mondeo and am missing it on the 75

Thanks

Becci

suzublu 30th July 2012 15:32

1 Attachment(s)
The socket is below your right knee,under the dash.This is what i have..

SWStuPiDent 30th July 2012 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 1065665)
The socket is below your right knee,under the dash.This is what i have..

Thanks, is it easy to access?

suzublu 30th July 2012 15:38

Just look & you'll see it,it's open with loads of little holes :D

DaveyC 30th July 2012 17:14

As mentioned the socket is easily accessible. The adaptors are available on ebay, there are links in previous posts and don't forget the obvious....... you need an Android mobile phone and will have to download the app from the Google Play Store. :D:D

SWStuPiDent 30th July 2012 18:11

Thank you DaveyC & Suzublu

I shall have to get one, seems like a reasonable price to pay for peace of mind where the coolant temp is concerned.

Will it show ok with the 1.8 engine?

suzublu 30th July 2012 18:13

Yep,what i have:} And a Hans Guage,but that's another story :D

DaveyC 30th July 2012 18:16

Not only will it work with your car but it will in any other car with an suitable OBD II socket. Mine spends time between my 75 and the Mrs's Peugeot 207 (well someone has to own a French car I suppose). :D

MangoMan 30th July 2012 18:24

Thanks.....

greendriver 1st August 2012 21:16

Just received mine & downloaded the app. Can't wait to try it

suzublu 1st August 2012 21:20

Are you going to use it with your phone Andrew,because you may need a cradle for it to mount on the windscreen.:shrug::}

MangoMan 1st August 2012 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendriver (Post 1067445)
Just received mine & downloaded the app. Can't wait to try it

Which one did you order? Any chance of a link please?

It's just that there is so many I just want a reliable source.
Thanks.

suzublu 1st August 2012 21:39

Bill,this seems to be the popular choice..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-C...item3378a2c959

MangoMan 1st August 2012 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 1067477)
Bill,this seems to be the popular choice..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-C...item3378a2c959

Thanks......

Dorset Bob 1st August 2012 22:08

If you want to do road tests, with the location of the OBD port close to your knees, it might me worth a few pounds extra to get the mini version
:smilie_re: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-E...item3f14a1a7e2

I have one and am very pleased with it.

Robson Rover Repair 2nd August 2012 01:45

So how have people found them so far?

I think im going to treat myself to a mini one and the app on friday, downloaded the trail one and its very customizable and im impressed so far.

DaveyC 2nd August 2012 05:25

Well, so far my phone sits in the space between the ashtray and the gear stick and the display turns to landscape automatically. Due to the size of the phone it almost looks like it grew there lol.

To be honest, I use it on most long journeys and charge the phone at the same time.

The App itself is very customisable and if you're a bit of a techie (like me) it provides some additional amusement with all the bells and whistles you can monitor on the engine.

I have a Synergy 2 and if you flick the 3 position switch whilst monitoring the parameters, you instantly see the changes on things like MAF readings, which confirms things do change when you fiddle with the settings (that and the hike in power).

I actually had a top hose pop off on a very short journey back from work. The dash gauge said all was well but the App instantly shouted it was too hot, so I pulled up, popped the bonnet and hey presto!! Saved me a cooked diesel lump. So I would say mine is more than worth the investment of a few quid.

MangoMan 2nd August 2012 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 1067505)
If you want to do road tests, with the location of the OBD port close to your knees, it might me worth a few pounds extra to get the mini version
:smilie_re: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-E...item3f14a1a7e2

I have one and am very pleased with it.

Just ordered one of these because of the size advantage.

Thanks Bob... ;)

greendriver 3rd August 2012 20:27

first diagnostic run

One fault code showing:

P0313-Powertrain
Misfire detected with Low Fuel.

Whatever that means...

Any ideas? Car seems to be ok, slight rev bounce at idle. Maybe it is referring to this.

suzublu 3rd August 2012 20:31

Mis-fire detected with low fuel means you've got low fuel in the tank:shrug::} Oh, check your spark plug gaps,should be about .75mm

greendriver 3rd August 2012 20:40

Thanks. Tank just over 3/4 full so low fuel not an issue. I will check the gaps over the weekend.

Is this anything to do with the FOC issue (I'm not sure I have one)?

rovexCDTi 3rd August 2012 20:42

That will be a stored code, so its happened in the past. Re-set the codes and check again at a later time.

suzublu 3rd August 2012 20:44

The FOC is fitted retrospectively by owners iirc,if your car is a later version,chances are you will need one,as the fuel filter didn't seem to separate on early cars.I'm sure a proper techie will be along to put me right:shrug::)

greendriver 3rd August 2012 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovexCDTi (Post 1068928)
That will be a stored code, so its happened in the past. Re-set the codes and check again at a later time.

Good point. I'll clear the code & try again.

Thanks for all suggestions :bowdown::bowdown: & sorry to hijack the thread (it is connected, really:o)

aturi83 4th August 2012 06:32

Just to confirm these work on 53 plate diesels don't they? On some ebay listings it states works with diesels after 2004.

rovexCDTi 4th August 2012 06:35

Maybe, maybe not, its pot luck to be honest.

MangoMan 4th August 2012 10:11

Damn, that was quick! Ordered this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-E...item3f14a1a7e2 on Thursday afternoon, arrived this morning!!!

aturi83 4th August 2012 11:50

Ordered myself a one, now to find a nice way to mount a tablet :-)

MangoMan 4th August 2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturi83 (Post 1069180)
Ordered myself a one, now to find a nice way to mount a tablet :-)

Quite a few here: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/iPad-Car-Holders.htm

MangoMan 4th August 2012 15:26

Just had a little play with it - just sitting stationary.

Interesting that it showed no faults either logged, history or cleared.....? Is that a good thing? I would presume so.

Can anybody tell me the advantage of upgrading from the 'free' one?

Thanks.

Bought the Pro one anyway......

petespieces 6th August 2012 11:15

Having problems with mine.

I bought a tablet, OBDII adaptor and Torqu pro, everything connected OK but could not get a temperature reading, I thought the adaptor might be faulty so bought a better one, still no coolant or fault codes.

Yeaterday after many attempts everything started to work fine I even found a fault code, which I deleted.

Today not working again, no temp reading (shows -40), the car's diagnostic's do show the correct temp.

OBD paired OK, talking OK, connected to ECU OK, all lights flashing on adaptor.

:shrug:

phenonix 6th August 2012 11:34

I've got this set up too
I would be interested in what gauges people are using the most, and what are good numbers to look for.
For example i see "vacuum" gives results, but what numbers should i be looking for?
and what about MAF?

could anyone post up a list of what gauges work?
and their beset settings??

MangoMan 6th August 2012 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenonix (Post 1070392)
I've got this set up too
I would be interested in what gauges people are using the most, and what are good numbers to look for.
For example i see "vacuum" gives results, but what numbers should i be looking for?
and what about MAF?

could anyone post up a list of what gauges work?
and their beset settings??

Yes, I would be very interested in the standard parameters for a lot of the readings aswell please?

Ta..... :D

Robbberd 6th August 2012 13:30

any one tried these on older models , ie I have late 52 plate , just wondering before i buy ???

petespieces 6th August 2012 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbberd (Post 1070450)
any one tried these on older models , ie I have late 52 plate , just wondering before i buy ???

Mine is a 52 plate, I am having probs with coolant temp and fault log.

MangoMan 6th August 2012 14:57

Mines a '51 Plate and all seemed to work OK. But I do understand Diesels are different according to year.....

sturmovik 7th August 2012 22:44

What a great little app at minimal cost !
I've yet to see how I can get the best out of this, but the real time display of engine temperature has got to be very useful, dare I say it, especially for the 1.8 owners...
Now, is there any forum whizz who can knock up a custom theme with the R75 ivory dials and pinky orange illumination ??

Kevin

MangoMan 7th August 2012 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sturmovik (Post 1071742)
W

Now, is there any forum whizz who can knock up a custom theme with the R75 ivory dials and pinky orange illumination ??

Kevin

Yeah, that would be great..!

aturi83 8th August 2012 06:55

I was thinking the self same thing. I've found a similar font to the "ROVER" part on the dials but the numbers are very different. Might need to make a font for those.

Anyone know if there's a "night mode" < on this software??

suzublu 8th August 2012 08:12

If you go to Ian-Hawkins.com he is the developer,you will find a link to the torque forums, where you will find answers.I believe there is a theme you can download to change the colours of the dials:)

tdi90 8th August 2012 09:48

Downloaded the free version and ordered the b/tooth adapter last night.

Fingers crossed it'll work on my 03 derv

Simon.h 8th August 2012 14:46

Hi all,
I have just got the new VGate mini obd bluetooth interface elm327, does anyone know the password/code for it?

petespieces 8th August 2012 15:05

1234 or 0000

greendriver 8th August 2012 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon.h (Post 1072022)
Hi all,
I have just got the new VGate mini obd bluetooth interface elm327, does anyone know the password/code for it?

Mine responded to 1111

MangoMan 8th August 2012 15:11

I used 1234.

But once paired, it just pairs-up automatically after that - well mine does anyhow.

Simon.h 8th August 2012 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoMan (Post 1072034)
I used 1234.

But once paired, it just pairs-up automatically after that - well mine does anyhow.

Thanks, but have tryed 0000,1234 and 1111.

Well can't the seller give out the details!

Simon.h 8th August 2012 16:35

Does anyone have the same one, if so what happens then you switch ignition on, which lights come on?

On mine i plug it in and the red power light is on, switch ignition on its the same, just the power light. Im thinking its faulty and the seller will not reply to emails.

Unclefista 8th August 2012 17:04

Mine is 5678 or 6789, consecutive numbers anyway.

stagn8 8th August 2012 19:11

Mine seemed to take ages before anything happened, eventually I noticed a small amount of text in the top left corner of my tablet which was listing a whole load of checks. Then the other two lights started flashing. Didn't need ignition on for it to do all,the checks.

You can get the torque software to tell you the state of everything and what it is able to check, can't remember which icon it was though.

HTH

Keith

tdi90 9th August 2012 09:42

Mine turned up today :D

Plugged it in the obd port, single red light (power) came on, turned on b/tooth on my phone and paired it (password 1234), turned the engine on, all lights started flashing away merrily.
Havent had chance for a proper play yet but revs, boost gauge, and temp displays work.

I checked for faults but it said none stored, I'm presuming thats not working cos I've only got the free version of the app (can anyone confirm?)

phenonix 9th August 2012 09:48

Mine does not see any codes errors and i have the paid version

On mine "Air Intake"

i see it going from 54C up to 65C

any idea where its taking this reading from?

MangoMan 11th August 2012 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenonix (Post 1072544)
Mine does not see any codes errors and i have the paid version

On mine "Air Intake"

i see it going from 54C up to 65C

any idea where its taking this reading from?

I believe the reading on our cars are taken at the Throttle Assembly as there is no Sensor in the Airbox.

Took mine for a bit of a ride today to see what is useful when driving, I was mainly checking out the Coolant Temperature readings, they were quite interesting.

Temperature quickly got to around 70 degrees at a steady rate where it slowed a bit, then it slowly increased to 90 degrees where it slowed again. Eventually it climbed to 93 degrees where it stayed for the rest of the journey, very occasionally going to 92/91 then back to 93.
Obviously that is showing all is ok that side.

Most other features worked, but as on the move quite difficult to see and drive safely so I've changed a few screens to make it easier using the large and medium size dials.

But generally quite happy with the results, I've spent £15 on worse things....lol. :D

ps, this is on a HTC Sensation.

phenonix 12th August 2012 05:32

Would be interested to hear what other Air Intake temps people are getting.

To compare a normal air box to a pod filet (which i have)

always wondered if theres any truth in that they force colder air, which gives increased power

MangoMan 12th August 2012 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenonix (Post 1074278)
Would be interested to hear what other Air Intake temps people are getting.

To compare a normal air box to a pod filet (which i have)

always wondered if theres any truth in that they force colder air, which gives increased power

I'm doing some more tests today and will let you know, but I have a vague recollection that I got a reading of 34 degrees yesterday, not sure though - sorry.

rovexCDTi 12th August 2012 08:24

I would expect intake temps of 60+ on a turbo, but a NASP car should be a fair bit lower. Of course it depends on the weather.

Shapfell 14th August 2012 21:12

Got mine today, eventually persuaded my phone to download the app (Galaxy Y), worked out how to get the two to talk to each other but had to dismantle the OBD socket as it was in back to front.... hmmm, either that or the plug was ar53 about.....
Anyway, it talks ok. Ran up the engine, all temps etc ok, the #1 O2 sensor was reading 0.5 - 1.0v as was the #2 O2 sensor. Are these correct(ish) readings? I'm gonna have some fun with this....