The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   <ouch> Crashed my ZT (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=102851)

GagHalfrunt 19th January 2012 11:12

<ouch> Crashed my ZT

1 Attachment(s)
Coming off a roundabout early on Monday morning onto the M4 at Swindon. Classic Mini Cooper trying to go right in the left hand lane and I just didn't see it :mad:

Not happy. £350 excess (as much as I was paying per year!) and having to drive a stupid Citroen C1.

Red paint never matches properly either assuming they can get a Mk1 bumper.

norfie 19th January 2012 11:16

Sorry to see that and it's sad to say and I know it won't help but that is probably beyond economic repair for the insurance company.

GagHalfrunt 19th January 2012 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfie (Post 902725)
Sorry to see that and it's sad to say and I know it won't help but that is probably beyond economic repair for the insurance company.

It's just the bumper and some trim as far as I can tell. I'd be surprised if that came as a write off.

windrush 19th January 2012 11:21

So sorry to see that Dave I dont think there is too much of a problem in getting a Mk1 front bumper and its repairable

carguy143 19th January 2012 11:24

It's never nice to see this but hopefully it'll be a simple repair.

On another note when my Rover 400 was scratched, I had a chips away guy respray the wing and the match was spot on. It was Solar Red too so there is hope for yours.

Rik.

uk_dave&gill 19th January 2012 11:32

If this at £90 all in or this at £99 + £34 p&p are the right shade of red, could well be an easy and fairly cheap fix?

Rico135+ 19th January 2012 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagHalfrunt (Post 902720)
Coming off a roundabout early on Monday morning onto the M4 at Swindon. Classic Mini Cooper trying to go right in the left hand lane and I just didn't see it :mad:

I see this a lot... did the rules about roundabouts change when I wasn't paying attention??

R75 did it to me the other week... expected better

Juz 19th January 2012 12:47

That's a bummer! But I'm confused about how you managed to damage that side of the car when if the other car came from your left, (N/S) and crossed in front of you???? I would have expected damage on the N/S Front corner..... But it doesn't seem like a write-off!

Good luck.

GagHalfrunt 19th January 2012 12:49

Unfortunately I still hit him so I becomes my fault regardless of what they did.

I'll have to see what the accident repair place comes back with.... mine has headlamp powerwash; is it still the same bumper (bar drilling holes)?

GagHalfrunt 19th January 2012 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juz (Post 902805)
That's a bummer! But I'm confused about how you managed to damage that side of the car when if the other car came from your left, (N/S) and crossed in front of you???? I would have expected damage on the N/S Front corner..... But it doesn't seem like a write-off!

Good luck.

Indeed, he'd already gone from left to right so I hit the inside of him. To be fair I was too busy trying to find a space on the busy roundabout and despite normally having good observation I completely failed to see him crossing over.

Xtra100 19th January 2012 15:14

Quote:

Not happy. £350 excess (as much as I was paying per year!) and having to drive a stupid Citroen C1.

There's quite a lot of MG ZT's at my local Motor Hog. They're the biggest scrappies in the UK. Would you like me to have a look for you?

GagHalfrunt 19th January 2012 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtra100 (Post 902911)
There's quite a lot of MG ZT's at my local Motor Hog. They're the biggest scrappies in the UK. Would you like me to have a look for you?

Nice offer, thanks... I'll let you know depending on what the accident repair place says.

I'm off to Mexico tomorrow for a company conference so timing is terrible!

Lates 19th January 2012 15:36

Hope you get sorted soon Mr D, its only plastic mate.Least you are ok albeit a bit miffed.

bartandrose 19th January 2012 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill (Post 902747)
If this at £90 all in or this at £99 + £34 p&p are the right shade of red, could well be an easy and fairly cheap fix?

This is the way to go. Easy swap. and still plenty of cash left (compared to your excess AND increased premium) IF it needs painting.

For this sort of damage I wouldn't go near my insurance.

Jakg 19th January 2012 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagHalfrunt (Post 902807)
I'll have to see what the accident repair place comes back with.... mine has headlamp powerwash; is it still the same bumper (bar drilling holes)?

I don't actually think you can buy a "powerwash" bumper - they are all supplied as "normal" and then the body shop has to drill the holes (I think).

But yes, the bumper is the same.

Brabus 19th January 2012 17:58

This damage is exactly the same as mine and mine was also on a round about.(must be a ZT thing).The insurance did not fix it but paid me out and did not put it as a write off which was great.I came out of it ok the car now costs me nothing.Its in the paint shop at the minute.I get her back tomorrow.
But going to spend the weekend pulling the gear box out to do the slave cylinder:mad:

norfie 19th January 2012 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfie (Post 902725)

I agree it will be an easy repair with second hand parts but insurance companies do not use second hand parts so if they can not buy new they will not repair it so it will probably be the same situation as Brabus.

topman 19th January 2012 18:51

Mine was worse than that after hitting a badger last year. New bumper new rad and some aircon pipes and it was repaired no hint of a write off. Oh and I got a C1 as well.

T16 19th January 2012 18:59

WHY would you even make a claim for this when you could get a replacement bumper for less than £200?

Im totally bemused by this. Not only have you paid a £350 excess which is MORE than a cost of a replacement bumper, but you now have an accident declared on your policy, which is going to raise the price of your insurance for years to come.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

EDIT:- I see that it was agreed that it was your fault?... Did you try and make an offer with the other party for his repairs?

Tbh if he was in the wrong lane and was veering over fast enough to smack your car, then how can it be your fault?

Are you not tempted to argue this one?

Jakg 19th January 2012 19:02

I'm going to geuss that he damaged the other car, which is a claim anyway.

ssizefive 19th January 2012 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfie (Post 903128)
I agree it will be an easy repair with second hand parts but insurance companies do not use second hand parts so if they can not buy new they will not repair it so it will probably be the same situation as Brabus.

Most insurance companies dont mind second hand 'bolt on' parts being used provided the owner of the vehicle is made aware & is happy to have them fitted.

Steve

d_a_n1979 19th January 2012 19:55

Ah that's a shame :(

TBH I wouldn't have bothered with insurance; would just get a bumper from a breakers and have it resprayed and then fit it myself - only a 30min job to unbolt and bolt back on

Hope you get sorted though!

Leyland Worldmaster 20th January 2012 10:59

Quote:

I'm sorry to read about this; are you alright? Hope you are not injured. I know what its like; reversed into a wall last year, but this forum is full of really helpful and kind people; a mod; DavidB found a bumper of the correct specification, and Mr Damienp helped with lights... Top people! You're in the right place; an excellent owners club forum! Good luck in getting it repaired, let us know how it goes, regards, Stu :D

Tim_Burgess 20th January 2012 11:16

A few years back I had a similar mishap in my 200 Coupe. My Insurance Co. gave the go ahead to repair using secondhand parts as new front bumpers were not available.

Hope you get it sorted.

Brabus 20th January 2012 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 903151)
WHY would you even make a claim for this when you could get a replacement bumper for less than £200?

Im totally bemused by this. Not only have you paid a £350 excess which is MORE than a cost of a replacement bumper, but you now have an accident declared on your policy, which is going to raise the price of your insurance for years to come.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

EDIT:- I see that it was agreed that it was your fault?... Did you try and make an offer with the other party for his repairs?

Tbh if he was in the wrong lane and was veering over fast enough to smack your car, then how can it be your fault?

Are you not tempted to argue this one?

Hes in the same situation as me Claim went against me.I could,nt aford to pay for the other persons repairs even though it was minimal damage the cost was £800 +vat.So a claim a claim get both fixed.Worked out in my favor.Guess this is a similar situation.

GagHalfrunt 26th January 2012 13:06

Just got back from my company conference and it is being repaired fortunately (with new parts). They did say they *would* use second hand parts too as long as it was agreed.

I agree with the points about this is stinging me more than it should but I have hit the other car so my future insurance is stuffed anyway.

Unfortunately due to this being my critical car I use for work I cannot afford to mess around which is annoying! I'm an IT Consultant and can't deal with it being out of action anything longer than necessary (plus I get a courtesy car).