The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   DVD Headrest (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10260)

swompster 5th October 2007 17:15

DVD Headrest

Hi
i have just purchased two dvd headrests for my ZT-T i have managed to fit them and get the wires down through the seats but have come stuck where to connect the red and black wire which power them, does anyone know if there is somewere under the seats or in the back of the car to fit to these wires to.I have found a plug under the drivers seat which i asume is for heated seats which are not fitted
Thanks

Christopher 5th October 2007 17:21

Welcome!

Pictures? Also, any info on brand etc - as I am looking for these (or a roof mounted one) at the moment.

If you can get to the cubby hole/ center console it should be easy to get power from the fusebox/ Head Unit to there.

swompster 5th October 2007 17:35

headrests

Hi
Go onto e-bay and put this item number in 110173363920 they took 2 days to arrive and good quality headrests
Cheers

Christopher 5th October 2007 17:40

Thanks - they look interesting (Now I need to find blue headrests though!! ;))

CDTi 5th October 2007 18:40

I thought about doing this a while back but I couldn't find a set with the legs set wide enought apart.

IIRC the 75/ZT headrests are about 100mm apart. Most of these headrest/DVD sets are 130mm plus.

How did you get these to fit?

Kandyman 5th October 2007 18:56

you know they would look good with your new head unit ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

swompster 5th October 2007 19:01

DVD headrest

Hi
I just took out the factory fitted headrest and they fitted straight into the holes.
Cheers

Kandyman 5th October 2007 19:08

Looks like you can adjust the width of the arms.

http://www.lettucetrade.com/images/l...98/hr798_4.jpg

CDTi 5th October 2007 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandyman (Post 90885)
you know they would look good with your new head unit ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

One step at a time, Andy :)

CDTi 5th October 2007 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandyman (Post 90894)
Looks like you can adjust the width of the arms.

Yes but the adjustments say 130 -190 mm

The 75/ZT spacing is 100mm.

However swompster said they fit, so I suppose they must go a bit narrower than the dimensions given :shrug:

Greeners 5th October 2007 19:56

I was suggest a pair of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Headrest-cover...QQcmdZViewItem when not in use.........prying eyes and all that....

sworks 5th October 2007 19:56

I don't want to upset anybody but how do the cables exit the screens? If the legs are hollow to allow the cables to run out of view how would they stand up in an accident (not that we want anybody to have one)

swompster 5th October 2007 21:37

Fitted just need wiring up

1 Attachment(s)
This is what they look like fitted just need to wire them up

MN190 5th October 2007 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by swompster (Post 90817)
Hi
i have just purchased two dvd headrests for my ZT-T i have managed to fit them and get the wires down through the seats but have come stuck where to connect the red and black wire which power them, does anyone know if there is somewere under the seats or in the back of the car to fit to these wires to.I have found a plug under the drivers seat which i asume is for heated seats which are not fitted
Thanks

I ran my power supply from the radio unit using the same wire colours. I ran the cables down from glovebox and then under trims behind seat on passengers side. On drivers side I ran the cable from passenger side under the centre console. I taped the wires up in black insulation tape and you can see 2" of cable under the passengers side if you know where to look as I didn't want to take the seat out to run under the carpet. Mine is a little bit more complicated as the power supply and signal continues into the boot and the headlining to power the DVD player and the IR sender. AV output cables then run back from the boot into the headlining and under the seats. You still only see one wire which is hidden along with a remote sender which I ran behing the door post trim. Lates has seen the set up and was impressed as it looks factory fitted. Overall no more complicated than wiring up a new radio and extra speakers once you have worked out the cable routes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeners (Post 90912)
I was suggest a pair of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Headrest-cover...QQcmdZViewItem when not in use.........prying eyes and all that....

I agree did the same and even managed to get the kids trained to switch everything off and put covers on at end of journey

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 90913)
I don't want to upset anybody but how do the cables exit the screens? If the legs are hollow to allow the cables to run out of view how would they stand up in an accident (not that we want anybody to have one)

One leg on each screen is hollow with the cables running down it.
If you have the strap on screens or the screens mounted on a holder then you run the risk of these coming loose and flying about in a collision along with a loose DVD player and discs etc

MN190 5th October 2007 21:46

Would also suggest you put in a switch on power supply so that you can kill power to these when kids forget to switch off (I will add this once I get chance) The screens power up in blue and auto switch after 5 mins when no signal. Car can look like a police car in the distance due to this

JohnDotCom 5th October 2007 21:52

May I also suggest you get the Interior alarm sensors fitted for added Security.
These are available in other colours as well as Black and Grey.
They also do a 9" Roof mounted Player/Screen.

swompster 6th October 2007 12:14

Wires Wires Wires

I`ve managed to get the wires to the back of the stereo have found a black and a red wire which go`s in to the stereo which i have cut and tried to connect to but with no result. I have also purchased a portable digital receiver which i was hoping to connect to the headrest this also comes with a red and black wire to power it.this also comes with a cigar adapter i first tried the red and black wires no result then the cigar adapter bingo power so i tried to take power from the back of the cigar lighter no result.
Any Ideas

Very Stuck
Rob

JohnDotCom 6th October 2007 14:41

With Hindsight (great isn't it) you should check whole system working before Install to make sure it is working.
Check with a multimeter that you do indeed have 12 volts and an earth (DONT RELY ON COLOUR OF WIRES)
If it is all OK you need a switched 12Volt supply,
the Cigarette lighter socket on mine is permanent live, so you would require an external switch if not fitted to units.
Either take a Power source direct from Fuse box in Passenger floor well area, ensuring the it can handle the Power consumption of TFT's etc,
or run an accessory lead from front Cigar Socket to a new double one fitted to rear of car where small tray fitted or 2nd cigarette lighter or ashtray fitted between front seats.
These kits are available from all Motorist spares shops.
A permanent feed would be better of course, making sure it is fused.

Christopher 6th October 2007 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by swompster (Post 90964)
This is what they look like fitted just need to wire them up

Looks like a very good colourmatch - headrests to rest of seat. Having two screens with two dvds woould also stop all the arguments with my two!!

Kandyman 7th October 2007 23:21

How you doing swompster any power to the units yet ?

swompster 8th October 2007 07:57

Power

No
Don`t want to mess in the fuse box not very experianced with kind of stuff so i`m going to look for somewere to get them wired but won`t be week or so back at work
I`ll post again once they are fitted and post pics

Kandyman 8th October 2007 12:54

Cheers swompeter,

a updated report of where and how you got the power from would be a help to other members.
Good luck and i look forward to seeing the finished pictures.

JohnDotCom 8th October 2007 13:11

If you are or can get to me when not working,
I'm sure we can get this up and running Swompeter.
North wales Coast M6 Junc 20/M56/A55 all fast roads.

swompster 9th October 2007 07:46

Thanks

Thanks Guys :o :o

Ti Rich 9th October 2007 11:41

I am just round the corner and can help if needed. Chartered Electrical Engineer and have wired in similar things on mine no problem. Was looking at these headrest versions to fit next. You can pick up a feed for these off the radio no problem at all.

Also have a double garage so no problem doing it in the rain Rob.

swompster 11th October 2007 08:01

Thanks rich
Will have to give me a price and i`ll try to get round to you if thats ok

Cheers

Ti Rich 11th October 2007 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by swompster (Post 92920)
Thanks rich
Will have to give me a price and i`ll try to get round to you if thats ok

Cheers

There is no charge!! All in the club spirt!

swompster 12th October 2007 20:24

Thanks

Cheers for that
When`s best for you

Ti Rich 13th October 2007 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by swompster (Post 93610)
Cheers for that
When`s best for you

That's going to be the problem - I am away for about the next 5 weeks so it would have to be the end of November

JohnDotCom 13th October 2007 11:25

Do you want me to look after your car Rich? :D

Ti Rich 13th October 2007 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 93821)
Do you want me to look after your car Rich? :D

I tell you John the next five weeks could finish me off!

Greece for three days, home for a day, Greece for a week (holiday), home for 2 days (service with Lates), Hong Kong for 6 days, home for a day, Kenya for 3 days, home for 3 days, Brazil for 4 days and then fly straight to India (via London) for 4 days!!!!

So the chances are a few people might see me flying up and down the M40 over the next few weeks!