The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Almost a brown trouser moment!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=223975)

ianbstag 19th August 2015 15:33

Almost a brown trouser moment!!

So, I'm still new to this V8 thing (lovin' it!), so here's a little query to you more knowledgeable types:

Last night, after being stuck in the massive traffic jam on the M62, (why, oh why didn't the powers that be put a sign on the sliproad saying the motorway was closed, instead of letting me find out a couple of miles later?:mad:) I ended up driving through some unfamiliar roads, trying to find my way back to the M1.

Anyway, after a few miles of slow moving traffic, the road eventually opened up into a dual carriageway, so I put my foot down, and overtook a few dawdlers. Conditions were a little damp, but I was a little surprised when, on changing up at about 60mph, I encountered a little (actually, quite a lot) of wheelspin. Luckily, I was in a straight line, and the moment was controlled and over in no time. Is this normal?

My rear tyres are quite new, but are made by Jinju (sp*) They get decent reviews, but if anyone can recommend a better tyre, I may end up changing them.

I expected the car to need a little care on damp corners/roundabouts etc, that's normal, but uphill, straight line wheelspin at 60 mph is a new one.:D

Other than that, the car performed faultlessly, despite being stuck in crawling traffic for over an hour, then driving through a monsoon north of Sheffield.

Best decision ever, buying the 260. (I think my diesel will be up for sale soon!)

olliesgrandad 19th August 2015 15:58

Really really jealous you lucky ******::getmecoat:

geordie1 19th August 2015 16:02

Worst ever "I have a V 8 "thread!

Yes I am jealous.:drool4::drool4::drool4:

ianbstag 19th August 2015 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by geordie1 (Post 2075598)
Worst ever "I have a V 8 "thread!

Yes I am jealous.:drool4::drool4::drool4:

Wasn't meant to sound like that!!!! I really would like to know if it is my tyres, or is normal behavior in the damp :shrug:

Have to say though, it did sound ****** good "giving it some beans" up that hill :D:D

geordie1 19th August 2015 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbstag (Post 2075616)
Wasn't meant to sound like that!!!! I really would like to know if it is my tyres, or is normal behavior in the damp :shrug:

Have to say though, it did sound ****** good "giving it some beans" up that hill :D:D

I know, I am just jealous!

colintf 19th August 2015 16:21

Most of us use Toyo or continentals on 260s I believe :cool:

AndyG 19th August 2015 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbstag (Post 2075616)
.... is normal behavior in the damp :shrug:

Yes, the back end is very easy to breakaway (It's the Torque). Good tires are needed.

Toyo's are my choice but I understand they have changed the compound. :shrug:

Number 6 19th August 2015 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2075661)
Yes, the back end is very easy to breakaway (It's the Torque). Good tires are needed.

Toyo's are my choice but I understand they have changed the compound. :shrug:

The Toyo tyre is now made in a different country and the quality is not as good,This was mentioned on the MGF owners club because Toyo was recommended for the F and some users have been having problems with grip with the new production run

MrDoodles 19th August 2015 18:35

I can't believe that anyone with a V8 would put Chinese Death Rings on it!.....

I would say more, but Club Rules prevent me!.....

AndyG 19th August 2015 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 2075710)

so "Tread" carefully ;)

[QUOTE=MrDoodles;2075710]I can't believe that anyone with a V8 would put Chinese Death Rings on it!.....
[QUOTE]

Even on my sons ZS we use Toyo's (for now ??) :}

Summer and winter :cool:

MrDoodles 19th August 2015 18:49

[QUOTE=AndyG;2075720][QUOTE=MrDoodles;2075710]I can't believe that anyone with a V8 would put Chinese Death Rings on it!.....

Quote:

Even on my sons ZS we use Toyo's (for now ??) :}

Summer and winter :cool:

I'm not sure you'd class Toyo's as "Chinese Death Rings", more a mid-range tyre!

However, there can be few tyres worse than the Jinyu's the OP has on his car, other than the Rotalla's that were on the front of Ed when I bought him!

Thankfully now replaced by Conti Sport Contact 5's!

ianbstag 19th August 2015 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 2075726)
there can be few tyres worse than the Jinyu's the OP has on his car, other than the Rotalla's that were on the front of Ed when I bought him!

Thankfully now replaced by Conti Sport Contact 5's!

To be fair to the previous owner, I think these were put on to pass this years MOT and its subsequent sale, and the car has done hardly any miles since then.

This evenings entertainment consists of scouring the tyre supplier and review websites for replacements, oh joy..............

MrDoodles 19th August 2015 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbstag (Post 2075743)
To be fair to the previous owner, I think these were put on to pass this years MOT and its subsequent sale, and the car has done hardly any miles since then.

This evenings entertainment consists of scouring the tyre supplier and review websites for replacements, oh joy..............

Then I would strongly recommend replacing them with a set of Conti Contact 5's, before you are not so lucky the next time the rear breaks traction!

Not cheap, but if you can afford to run a V8!.....

trikey 19th August 2015 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 2075710)
I can't believe that anyone with a V8 would put Chinese Death Rings on it!.....

I did :D I found they spun in any gear, the controlled drifting was great, far better this he contis I have on now, they are more like - grip, grip, grip, NOW IM LETTING GO!

At least with the Chinese tyres,nylon knew they were going to doi it all the time.

ianbstag 19th August 2015 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2075752)
the contis I have on now, they are more like - grip, grip, grip, NOW IM LETTING GO!.

Not the first time I've heard that about Contis, and it sort of puts me off a bit. I prefer something a little more "progressive". (That sounds so pretentious, sorry :duh:)

I've not decided yet, but Toyos, Goodyear F1, Hankook S1 evo and P Zeros are looking good. Shame the new Michelin CrossClimate are not available in the right size, they look an ideal solution for a daily driver. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-launched-is-this-a-game-changer.htm

MrDoodles 19th August 2015 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2075752)
I did :D I found they spun in any gear, the controlled drifting was great, far better this he contis I have on now, they are more like - grip, grip, grip, NOW IM LETTING GO!

But ALL performance tyres that offer high grip will let go more violently than a Chinese Death Ring, as the level of grip is higher in the 1st place! ;)

I know which I prefer on Ed! :}

trikey 19th August 2015 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 2075802)
But ALL performance tyres that offer high grip will let go more violently than a Chinese Death Ring, as the level of grip is higher in the 1st place! ;)

I know which I prefer on Ed! :}

Live on the edge matey, it's the only way :D

MrDoodles 19th August 2015 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2075810)
Live on the edge matey, it's the only way :D

I had enough of that with the 3 Litre and 2.8i Capri's that I owned in the late 70's and early 80's mate! ;) :D

ianbstag 19th August 2015 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 2075802)

We'll have to disagree on that one! :D Letting go "violently" is the last thing I want from a tyre, a little warning "scrabble" when pushing on is a good thing imho, tells you to calm down a bit. If they let go violently. you're backwards into a hedge before you know it.

AndyG 19th August 2015 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 2075814)
I had enough of that with the 3 Litre and 2.8i Capri's that I owned in the late 70's and early 80's mate! ;) :D

or the 3.1RS I had :devil:

Tires are a well talked about subject on all V8 forums (along with exhausts), with no definite results. :shrug::shrug:

MrDoodles 19th August 2015 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbstag (Post 2075861)
We'll have to disagree on that one! :D Letting go "violently" is the last thing I want from a tyre, a little warning "scrabble" when pushing on is a good thing imho, tells you to calm down a bit. If they let go violently. you're backwards into a hedge before you know it.

But I would argue that if you go beyond the limits of a high performance tyre on a public road, then you are driving too fast anyway! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2075865)

Now I AM jealous! :eek: :drool4:

AndyG 19th August 2015 21:20

On Silverstone before the re-route, the last corner before the main straight was perfect to drift and scare the instructor a bit :eek:
He said he was surprised at the way the car handled and I was good at controlling the car in the drift as we blasted down the straight :D

I was on Conti's :}

trikey 19th August 2015 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2075865)

Tires are a well talked about subject on all V8 forums (along with exhausts), with no definite results. :shrug::shrug:

Try that engine in a trike with nitrous :D:D

ianbstag 19th August 2015 21:47

Has anyone tried "all season" tyres? I'd be interested in any comments, because if they are any good, it could be quite a saving over having two sets.

I tried winter tyres for the first time last winter, and was amazed at the difference they make, so I was planning on using them again next winter, but they are 17", so I doubt they'll fit over the brakes.

If all seasons are good, then they would seem a good idea :shrug:

AndyG 19th August 2015 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbstag (Post 2075912)
...:

For me it has to be two sets, the best of both worlds.

All seasons on a town car, OK :}

Jakg 20th August 2015 08:33

I did a test this morning, I can get wheel spin in 2nd at about 25, but not in third. This is just planting the throttle in a straight line, on a damp road, with Continental Sport Contact M3's up front.

I've got virtually the same amount of torque as a V8 (292 vs 302 lbft), FWD so less traction and a turbo so a peakier power delivery.

3disco 20th August 2015 10:55

17" starspoke wheels will go over brakes as fitted to Rover V8.:}

ianbstag 20th August 2015 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakg (Post 2076334)
I did a test this morning, I can get wheel spin in 2nd at about 25, but not in third.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was possibly a patch of oil or diesel, breaking traction at 60mph shouldn't be that easy, regardless of rubberware.

doopydug 20th August 2015 18:18

I found AVON Zs to be very good on my V8

AndyG 20th August 2015 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 2076734)
I found AVON Zs to be very good on my V8

I used AVON on my Morgan V8 Lightweight, Worked very OK on the light car.

I was a little biased as we had toured the AVON Factory (mid 70s). :}

RichB 21st August 2015 07:53

In the wet my budgets on the rear will break traction in the low gears. I've got some dunlop sports to go on but 1) im tight so want to get the use from the budgets and 2) enjoying wearing them down very quickly!

Mr bountyfull 21st August 2015 19:41

Right now tyre prices are slightly suppressed so buy some good ones. Top grip - Michelin PSS and last way longer than they should. I had them on previously now running Goodyear Eagle AS2 - quiet and can recommend if all round compromise is your thing.

I will be going back to PSS next time round.

ianbstag 21st August 2015 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull (Post 2077613)
Right now tyre prices are slightly suppressed so buy some good ones. Top grip - Michelin PSS and last way longer than they should. I had them on previously now running Goodyear Eagle AS2 - quiet and can recommend if all round compromise is your thing.

I will be going back to PSS next time round.

Was looking at Goodyears today, and also Uniroyal Rainsport 3s. (I wanted something with A rated wet grip)

I've got to pop down to my local tyre place (Glenns Tyres in Mansfield) with some printouts from Tyreleader and Camskill, to give him a chance to match the prices. If he gets close enough, then he'll get my business. He's a top bloke, and his guys take care when fitting. Proper old school place, and he's usually not far away from internet prices. :D

AndyG 21st August 2015 21:49

I never let the fitters use the air gun to re-fit :eek:

I carry my own torque wrench in the car. ;)

MrDoodles 22nd August 2015 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianbstag (Post 2077791)
Was looking at Goodyears today, and also Uniroyal Rainsport 3s. (I wanted something with A rated wet grip)

The problem with the tyre ratings, is that the manufacturer applies them to their own tyres, so they are absolutely worthless! :(

To get a better comparison on tyres, you're probably better off visiting somewhere like this! ;)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

ianbstag 22nd August 2015 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 2078114)
The problem with the tyre ratings, is that the manufacturer applies them to their own tyres, so they are absolutely worthless! :( http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I understand that, however, if you think about it, a quality manufacturer is soon going to get found out if they are rating tyres wrongly. The internet would be on fire if, say, Goodyear rated a tyre as A grip when it was actually rubbish.

Different for unknown manufacturers, no-one cares, but but a household name has a hard won reputation to uphold, so there must be some value, surely?

AndyG 22nd August 2015 13:03

and different car react differently.

Bridgestone's are great on an RS4 but (I found) rubbish on ours :shrug: