The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Double Din Navigation Systems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Xtrons (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296422)

T16 7th June 2019 12:20

Xtrons

No-one should EVER buy one of these.

Nothing but absolute garbage. Avoid at all costs.

1) Slow
2) Hangs
3) Locks up randomly requiring hard reset.
4) Wifi just drops making it totally useless for downloading maps, ive spent DAYS even trying to download from a laptop IN THE CAR RIGHT NEXT TO IT.
5) when Nav is running unit is so slow volume commands take up to 30 secs to take effect.
6) When volume takes 30secs to work, sometimes it turns it up instead of down meaning I have had to physically pull over and get out until it has recovered.
7) units iant acutually the same dimensions as the BMW original, and if you want it flush like OE you have to modify.
8) Each time I get in the car I have to scan/search for radio stations, it never saves, NEVER.
9) It actually lies to your face, when the Wifi has dropped, it still has the connected icon in the top, pretending all is well, but when tracing things on the laptop, there are no packets from the c-rappy xtrons. So the wifi stack is crashing, its pathetic.
Right now if I had an alternative, I would rip this P.O.S out and smash it to bits with a hammer, its disgusting chinese filth. These pieces of garbage have more bugs than a Bangkok massage parlour.

steveo 7th June 2019 17:25

TD717G (Xtrons)

Hi
I had a Xtrons Td717g fitted to my 75 for years and never had a problem and when I sold the car the unit was fitted to my daughters Corsa C and is still going through strong .
No Wi-Fi though

Regards
Steve

Russp 7th June 2019 17:38

I've got one and while its had the odd bug it's quite reliable now.
Odd times its locked up on maps but most phones do too
Think you must have a bad one mate

T16 7th June 2019 17:59

The firmware I have is:-

MTCD_HH_V2.30

Not sure if that means the unit is rubbish, or the firmware was ever updated to remove bugs etc...

clf 8th June 2019 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 2738949)
No-one should EVER buy one of these.

Nothing but absolute garbage. Avoid at all costs.

1) Slow
2) Hangs
3) Locks up randomly requiring hard reset.
4) Wifi just drops making it totally useless for downloading maps, ive spent DAYS even trying to download from a laptop IN THE CAR RIGHT NEXT TO IT.
5) when Nav is running unit is so slow volume commands take up to 30 secs to take effect.
6) When volume takes 30secs to work, sometimes it turns it up instead of down meaning I have had to physically pull over and get out until it has recovered.
7) units iant acutually the same dimensions as the BMW original, and if you want it flush like OE you have to modify.
8) Each time I get in the car I have to scan/search for radio stations, it never saves, NEVER.
9) It actually lies to your face, when the Wifi has dropped, it still has the connected icon in the top, pretending all is well, but when tracing things on the laptop, there are no packets from the c-rappy xtrons. So the wifi stack is crashing, its pathetic.
Right now if I had an alternative, I would rip this P.O.S out and smash it to bits with a hammer, its disgusting chinese filth. These pieces of garbage have more bugs than a Bangkok massage parlour.

pay NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- money, get NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- product..... if it was in the car, clarify your whinge with that. If you paid for it and expected more, wind yer neck in, even with scottish blood in you, you cannot expect a 200 quid double din stereo to scratch yer balls whilst playing the local tunes.................. maybe you can? :duh::duh::duh:

NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- = sh1te

T16 8th June 2019 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2739106)
pay NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- money, get NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- product..... if it was in the car, clarify your whinge with that. If you paid for it and expected more, wind yer neck in, even with scottish blood in you, you cannot expect a 200 quid double din stereo to scratch yer balls whilst playing the local tunes.................. maybe you can? :duh::duh::duh:

NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- = sh1te

And your recommendation for a functioning alternative (android too) is what exactly?

All these "brands" come right out of the same factory in China.

Les4048 8th June 2019 04:30

Well thousands of people are using them Ross with no complaints and the units from trader Jubberbelly receive nothing but praise. Your comment about them all coming from the same factory, is that made out of anger or frustration or do you have proof that this is so.

https://www.androidice.com/

aircub 8th June 2019 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 2739025)
The firmware I have is:-

MTCD_HH_V2.30

Not sure if that means the unit is rubbish, or the firmware was ever updated to remove bugs etc...

Can you post pictures from your system/about page that shows the Model/Android version

vitesse 8th June 2019 12:16

Don’t recognise many of your problems except poor fitting but one thing missing on your list which my Xtrons (Jubbs) suffers from is GPS lag, it takes ages to find satellites unlike my old Win unit. Repositioned aerial, tried another GPS programme, still the same but weirdly, once it finds them it’s fine for hours, can go into shops, restart the car and instantly there but next day after a long sleep it’s the same procedure again.

Regards

aircub 8th June 2019 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2739204)
Don’t recognise many of your problems except poor fitting but one thing missing on your list which my Xtrons (Jubbs) suffers from is GPS lag, it takes ages to find satellites unlike my old Win unit. Repositioned aerial, tried another GPS programme, still the same but weirdly, once it finds them it’s fine for hours, can go into shops, restart the car and instantly there but next day after a long sleep it’s the same procedure again.

Regards

Well my Jubbs Android 8.0 unit has been great no problems at all. My GPS is almost instant, at least it’s working by the time tomtom has flashed up. Only downside is they never released an update to 8.1 or 9 so stuck with android 8.0

vitesse 8th June 2019 13:19

Jealous. Often when I want GPS in a town I don't know well I've found my way out before it flashes up. Prefer the old Win unit, but sadly the touchscreen died. Wouldn't recommend these units but then our experiences seem to differ a lot.

Regards

clf 8th June 2019 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 2739107)
And your recommendation for a functioning alternative (android too) is what exactly?

All these "brands" come right out of the same factory in China.

No recommendations for an Android equipped head unit. I have been a fan of Alpine for past 25 years, and have quite simple specific spec requirements, a universal open source operating system designed for a different purpose is not one of them. A stereo along with its hard and software designed to be used in a car is though, one of those requirements. Alpine have many units (THIS one looks quite interesting) with navigation and Android/Apple integration, available for sale, at quite reasonable prices.

But they are not exactly OEM though :shrug:

Remove the unit, chuck it in the bin, go to an ICE centre, listen to a few, buy the one you like. We wont have to witness your moaning about it, an added bonus for your passengers, who will now be able to turn up the volume to avoid the whining on the driver's side.

VVC-Geeza 9th June 2019 16:35

I have an Xtrons WinCE unit with built in DAB+. All functions work well, and quickly, including the iGo 8 satnav.I was considering upgrading the cars speakers,but the improvement in sound quality is such that it is not required.The sound from the DAB radio stations is crystal clear although it did require the fitting of an external aeriel to keep reception stable under all conditions and in different areas.
Overall I'm very pleased with unit.It's a vast improvement on the WinCE unit it replaced as supplied by Radioguy.

Russp 9th June 2019 17:02

One thing I've noticed with xtrons is the microphones for hands free is rubbish be it the one built in to it or the supplied A pillar one.
Has anyone tried a different one in them?

suzublu 9th June 2019 17:24

Quite happy with my ICE :cool::D
https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-...hilips-01s.jpg

T16 15th June 2019 19:08

Tbh the GPS is great. Picks up satellites instantly.

Loading up iGO 9.x takes about 1 min normally.

The most annoying thing is the dropping wifi, its enough to make me want to smash it. I run a wifi hotspot on my laptop and see it drop off that when downloading the files for iGO, yet the head-unit lies and says it is connected, of course it isnt, and i have to switch the wifi off and on again and re-start the downloads in iGO, took me 2 days of doing this to get all the European maps down.

My Xtrons is an Android 5.1, does that basically mean its totally out of date and the performance is rubbish?

I actually really like iGO, and after modifying the unit to fit correctly it looks factory fit. Ive seen some abortions on here, sticking out about half a centimeter at the bottom etc!

IF I could get an Xtrons looking Android that was faster, and enabled me to SEEK back and forward in MP3s, I would be one happy camper. Not having MP3 seek on the buttons is infuriating, and I have to use the touch screen.

Also I see no way around the radio stations issue, every time I get into the car I have to search for the stations.

I think its a basic CPU issue, as when the nav is taxing the system, sometimes you can see it struggle with the radio scanning for stations, and sometimes the music can drop out momentarily.

If a newer model has the same connector as the 5.1 unit this would be great, I made up an OE looking connector for the steering wheel controls with BMW connectors, looks pro.

Sjonnie 18th June 2019 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by aircub (Post 2739206)
*snip* Only downside is they never released an update to 8.1 or 9 so stuck with android 8.0

Why would you want 9? 8 is great and uses less resources than 9. The units are designed/spec'ed for a specific version of Android. Upgrading to a newer version would only leave you with a less responsive unit. Security updates however would be more than welcome.

@OP:

Get in touch with Julian. He has units with a newer version of Android that will last for a couple of years. Prices are decent and support is great so what's stopping you? It is most probably a plug-n-play swap for your 5.1 unit.

Russp 23rd June 2019 19:02

Is there any way of making the microphone louder on these? I've messed around in factory settings to no avail. Oddly if an external microphone is used as opposed to the one built into the unit the volume someone on another phone hears is actually less.
One of the problems with these things seems to be there are very few settings you can alter.
The radio graphics on the one in the instruction book is totally different to the one on mine but no obvious way of changing it

Sjonnie 24th June 2019 18:17

You cannot alter the sensitivity of the mic in the settings. It is what it is.

As for the external mic: there are a lot of mics with various impedance. Selecting the right mic is a bit of a hit and miss, is my experience. I had success with this mic on a Xtrons though:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791487854.html

HTH

Russp 24th June 2019 20:02

Is that the only one you have tried? I've tried a Sony and one for a parrot but they are quieter than the inbuilt one.
I noticed in the manual that the radio in there has different graphics can they be changed?

Sjonnie 26th June 2019 17:13

Hi Russ,

I selected this mic because of it's impedance. Guess I got lucky that the first one I bought works flawlessly with my Xtrons.

I haven't tried another mic on this unit. Sorry :shrug:

Russp 26th June 2019 19:38

For some reason I don't seem to be able to order off that site, are they sold anywhere else?

Les4048 26th June 2019 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2743457)
For some reason I don't seem to be able to order off that site, are they sold anywhere else?

https://www.androidice.com/

Russp 26th June 2019 20:23

I'm not convinced an xtrons one will be that good, if the one on the unit isn't too good I wonder if the separate one will be just the same?
I contacted them to see if there was any adjustment on the microphones and they didn't mention buying a separate one , has anyone got experience of buying an xtrons one?

Sjonnie 27th June 2019 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2743457)

Try an in private session of your browser or try another browser. It is very unlikely you wouldn't be able to order on AliExpress. Do you get an error message? If so what is the message?

Looking forward!

T16 27th June 2019 17:00

SO whats the latest deal with these then?

If I took another gamble on a more powerful one, what is the absolute fastest/best unit out there to get?

I am assuming that all the wiring is identical to the old android 5.1 unit and I can literally just make the changes needed to the plastic front, and install and go?

Sjonnie 27th June 2019 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 2743617)
SO whats the latest deal with these then?

If I took another gamble on a more powerful one, what is the absolute fastest/best unit out there to get?

I am assuming that all the wiring is identical to the old android 5.1 unit and I can literally just make the changes needed to the plastic front, and install and go?

Talk tot Jubbs. He can advice which unit fits best to your requirements.

T16 27th June 2019 19:10

Im sure I got my current unit off him.

This Android 5.1 unit was the biggest mistake I could have made.

So slow it cant even run the play store properly. Graphics barely render.

Just timed it at now 11 mins trying to load it, search for a text file editor, and install it. Pathetic.

Sjonnie 27th June 2019 19:50

Have you reset the unit of reinstalled the firmware? The unit can't have been that bad In am sure.

T16 27th June 2019 19:55

Just found out why it was so *******

Disabled google services and the unit worked properly.

Now to fix how iGO doesnt play a voice notification for speeding or cameras.

Cannot for the life of my find the sys.txt everyone goes on about.

Russp 27th June 2019 20:30

That AliExpress site seems odd seemed to register but now I can't get on so I'm not putting and card details on that

Sjonnie 28th June 2019 04:33

I believe they accept PayPal.

Russp 28th June 2019 09:46

They don't unfortunately, I was hoping they did

Sjonnie 28th June 2019 09:52

I have been shopping Ali for some 6 years now. Over 800 orders and never a problem with Ali. You are paying Ali not the seller. The seller gets paid when the goods have arrived.

I am "pretty sure" it's save ;)

Russp 28th June 2019 10:31

If I could actually register with it I may try it but its saying I'm already registered but my password is not right , when I ask it for a new one it says sent but I don't receive it which worries me as to where its actually been sent to which is why I don't want to enter card details.
It's a shame those exact mics don't seem to be available elsewhere.
Emailed androidice but didn't really get anywhere, I don't think julian is that keen on me as I had bother with the 3g dongle and the first reversing camera was defective

Sjonnie 29th June 2019 08:00

Hi Russ,

Not receiving the e-mails may well be a problem of your ISP. You could get a free e-mail address (i.e. gmail, outloook.com, proton, guerillamail) to re-register yourself. Or you could call your ISP to whitelist Ali ;)

T16 29th June 2019 21:05

Unit is much better since doing a factory reset.

Has not dropped the wifi yet and its downloaded igo, and the UK maps.

I wont hold my breath, but the unit seems better.

Russel 3rd July 2019 17:15

I have one the boot time is a tad slow but it's a good unit tbf

Russp 3rd July 2019 19:27

When I first fitted mine I had to wait for it to boot up then realised the red and yellow wires were the wrong way round, so I swapped them and it starts up instantly

Russel 3rd July 2019 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2745225)
When I first fitted mine I had to wait for it to boot up then realised the red and yellow wires were the wrong way round, so I swapped them and it starts up instantly

Mine are red to red
Yellow to yellow but no memory after key off shall I switch the wires

Russp 3rd July 2019 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russel (Post 2745286)
Mine are red to red
Yellow to yellow but no memory after key off shall I switch the wires

Absolutely should sort problems out

Russel 3rd July 2019 22:45

Cheers Russ

Russ will have a go in the morning

Russp 7th July 2019 14:35

Have you had chance to swap wires yet mate?

Russel 7th July 2019 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russp (Post 2746172)
Have you had chance to swap wires yet mate?

Lol yeah and my wipers started on there own for some strange reason switched back and all fine

Russp 8th July 2019 10:52

Your wipers:eek::eek: glad is ok

suzublu 8th July 2019 11:31

Yeah, having switched live & permanent live the wrong way causes all sorts of problems :D including the wipers turning on once after turning the car off:duh::D
https://i.imgur.com/at1DYnQl.jpg

Russp 8th July 2019 11:38

That's very odd, I connected mine up with the supplied loom and when it kept losing memory I and taking ages to boot up I realised something must be wrong so swapped the lives but have had absolutely no side effects

suzublu 8th July 2019 11:51

Swapping the lives corrects most issues:cool: A lot of Chinese units have their loom wired so the the yellow/red wires are in the wrong connections compared to the car loom. Swapping them sorts it.:}

Russel 8th July 2019 15:59

I will try again tomorrow