The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Overseas Club Members Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   South Africa??????? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58430)

DCN808T 11th April 2010 16:41

South Africa???????

Any members here from SA??

long time 75 lover recently bought my first... 04 1.8T auto and id like to get to know more enthusiasts over here:}

stocktake 11th April 2010 16:45

Wow, didn't know we had any members is S.A.

Welcome to the club, hope you find some local like minded people :)

Bernard LPG 11th April 2010 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 505724)

Is Kaiser not in SA?

Jo'burgh

Roverowner 11th April 2010 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 505724)

Best bet would be the phsychiatric outpatients or local L. Bin;) You are most welcome sir:D

iMORT3rnAL 19th April 2010 08:43

Hi DCN808T,

I'm from SA and I also recently bought my fist Rover (75, 2004, 1.8T, racing green) and I don't regret it one bit. It's quite cool to know that there are more SA members on this forum. :D

chrissyboy 20th April 2010 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard LPG (Post 505725)
Is Kaiser not in SA?

Jo'burgh

yes he is ,jo`burg i belive ,my mother was born there .and came here in 1925 asa 3 year old ..

DCN808T 25th April 2010 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMORT3rnAL (Post 510130)
Hi DCN808T,

I'm from SA and I also recently bought my fist Rover (75, 2004, 1.8T, racing green) and I don't regret it one bit. It's quite cool to know that there are more SA members on this forum. :D

awesome. gald i'm not alone... mines a black 1.8t auto. 2004 pre facelift. was really gunning for a white 75 but couldnt find one:mad:... i'm in white river in mpumalanga. have only seen one other 75 and one zt around here.:}

iMORT3rnAL 26th April 2010 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCN808T (Post 513328)
awesome. gald i'm not alone... mines a black 1.8t auto. 2004 pre facelift. was really gunning for a white 75 but couldnt find one:mad:... i'm in white river in mpumalanga. have only seen one other 75 and one zt around here.:}

A black one, now that I think of it I haven’t actually seen a black 75 before, must look pretty cool.

I’ve only seen a ZT in town, being the only one with a 75 around here kind of gives a sense of uniqueness, I like it. To be honest, I wasn’t looking for a Rover, in fact I didn’t even know what car it was when I saw it. I was thinking of getting a Volvo or an Audi when I noticed this stunning looking car at the dealership, it was love at first site :D

BTW, have you done any mods? I would really like to get a wooden gear lever and handbrake grip but I don’t know where to find it. I'm also going to replace the head unit with a Kenwood.

Roger1 27th April 2010 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMORT3rnAL (Post 513768)
A black one, now that I think of it I haven’t actually seen a black 75 before, must look pretty cool.

I’ve only seen a ZT in town, being the only one with a 75 around here kind of gives a sense of uniqueness, I like it. To be honest, I wasn’t looking for a Rover, in fact I didn’t even know what car it was when I saw it. I was thinking of getting a Volvo or an Audi when I noticed this stunning looking car at the dealership, it was love at first site :D

BTW, have you done any mods? I would really like to get a wooden gear lever and handbrake grip but I don’t know where to find it. I'm also going to replace the head unit with a Kenwood.

Hello you guys. Hope you're coming south for the Rugby World Cup. We're in need of a little revenge........ :}

djw40 27th April 2010 20:40

My In-Laws are from Vereeniging.

Been over several times. Great to hear of some 75s over there :)

DCN808T 28th April 2010 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMORT3rnAL (Post 513768)

no mods yet but genuine wood dash and gearknob is definitely going to happen. as is a radio from sean the radio guy and a reverse camara. exterior id like to get some pre cost cutting bits like the rear boot finisher and d post badges. chrome door handle finishers and projection hid headlamps. thats about it. have to wait a bit for $$$ but as ive said, its going to happen.

a lot later i might be tempted to shoe horn a 4.6l rover V8 in there somewhere... to match the sds and vdp and p6b in storage... rover 75b has a nice ring to it...

have you posted any pics of your beloved anywhere? would be nice to see. before i bought this one, i went to look at a few bat they all seemed to have been panelbeated with a brick and sprayed with hammerite...

DCN808T 28th April 2010 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger1 (Post 514346)
Hello you guys. Hope you're coming south for the Rugby World Cup. We're in need of a little revenge........ :}

you need to be mutilated you mean...:D:D:D

DCN808T 28th April 2010 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by djw40 (Post 514798)
My In-Laws are from Vereeniging.

Been over several times. Great to hear of some 75s over there :)

they are getting fewer each day. difficult to maintain them over here. no dealerships left except maybe one in pretoria, so ignorant heartless 'people' tend to have theirs scrapped rather than selling them for 1/5 of what they paid for it new...:(:mad:

if i can i would like to collect a couple to preserve for later generations

DCN808T 28th April 2010 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverowner (Post 506099)
Best bet would be the phsychiatric outpatients or local L. Bin;) You are most welcome sir:D

most of our l. bin patients are ex fiat drivers actually...:getmecoat:

Roger1 4th May 2010 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCN808T (Post 515119)
you need to be mutilated you mean...:D:D:D

Hmmm. Seems a bit that way lately. Rebuilding you know!
:}

iMORT3rnAL 11th May 2010 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCN808T (Post 515117)
no mods yet but genuine wood dash and gearknob is definitely going to happen. as is a radio from sean the radio guy and a reverse camara. exterior id like to get some pre cost cutting bits like the rear boot finisher and d post badges. chrome door handle finishers and projection hid headlamps. thats about it. have to wait a bit for $$$ but as ive said, its going to happen.

a lot later i might be tempted to shoe horn a 4.6l rover V8 in there somewhere... to match the sds and vdp and p6b in storage... rover 75b has a nice ring to it...

have you posted any pics of your beloved anywhere? would be nice to see. before i bought this one, i went to look at a few bat they all seemed to have been panelbeated with a brick and sprayed with hammerite...

Hi, sorry for only replying now...

I take it you're going to import most of the parts? I found a place in Cape Town that deals with Rover write offs and they have a few nice parts but I've given up because they never return my calls.

Do you plan on doing any engine mods execpt for the thirsty 4.6l V8 monster?

Here's some pics of my beauty...

http://hosting11.imagecross.com/imag...7FrontSide.jpg

http://hosting11.imagecross.com/imag...65RearSide.jpg

Do you have any pics?

DCN808T 22nd May 2010 07:51

now its my turn to appologize for the delay in replying:D

no engine mods planned. there is a place called euro asia, i believe in pta, that also does rover 75 and mg zt spares. have sent them a mail but also no reply. best would be to go break down their door...

your car looks great. pretty in green:D if i may enquire, what happened to the original wheels?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4797856_n.jpg

iMORT3rnAL 23rd May 2010 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCN808T (Post 527788)

no engine mods planned. there is a place called euro asia, i believe in pta, that also does rover 75 and mg zt spares. have sent them a mail but also no reply. best would be to go break down their door...

your car looks great. pretty in green:D if i may enquire, what happened to the original wheels?

I must say that the blacks also looks quite attractive.

Thanks, I never thought that I would drive a green car but for some strange reason the racing green just does it for me. The previous owner replaced the original wheels so that is how I bought it.

For a while now I can hear a slight rattle when the car is idling and at first I thought it was the flex pipe just before the catalytic converter but it seems to be the cat itself. Since a cat is so expensive and it's not illegal to de-cat in South Africa I think I might go that route. I just have find a guaranteed way to fool the O2 sensor behind the cat in thinking it's still there.

DCN808T 28th May 2010 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMORT3rnAL (Post 528322)
I must say that the blacks also looks quite attractive.

Thanks, I never thought that I would drive a green car but for some strange reason the racing green just does it for me. The previous owner replaced the original wheels so that is how I bought it.

For a while now I can hear a slight rattle when the car is idling and at first I thought it was the flex pipe just before the catalytic converter but it seems to be the cat itself. Since a cat is so expensive and it's not illegal to de-cat in South Africa I think I might go that route. I just have find a guaranteed way to fool the O2 sensor behind the cat in thinking it's still there.

once again, pardon the delay.

i dont think there is a way of fooling the O2 sensor. the signal it puts out varies constantly according to driving conditions. unplug it and the mil lamp will come one and performance and economy will be adversly affected... me thinks. just me opinion. :)

Woodgoat 10th August 2010 05:10

Hi!, I'm New Here

I live in a little town called Paarl at the outskirts of Cape Town. My office is in the city.
I just did a 1 000 kilometer round trip to Knysna and Wilderness this weekend and I am solidly smitten. We have a 330D as well and although the MG cannot compare with the BMW in many (most) areas, it does seem to sweep the floor with it in so many other areas. Despite the BM's massive torque, the MG's the better long distance car. It's as if nothing can unsettle it. Effortless and perfectly planted.
I've read so much criticism about the 1,8 turbo engine on this forum. Well, I haven't had this car long enough to be a expert on it, but I know that I would't swop it for a more powerful engine. I will never like the engine sound below 3 000 rpm, but apart from that it has amazing torque. Acceleration from second and third gear leaves many (more powerful) cars behind.
Sadly these cars are almost non existant on our roads. If you're lucky you might see a Rover 75 every six weeks or so. ZT's are even more scarse. The result of that is expensive and a scarsity of spare parts and poor service prospects.
A local guy quoted me almost twenty thousand rand to fix a shuddering clutch. I discovered a coolant leak from the inside of the bellhousing and after closer inspection, saw that it was coming from the left corner of the inlet manifold, running down the side of the engine and into the clutch area. I replaced the thirty eight rand gasket on the inlet manifold and lost the shudder from the clutch - and the water leak.
I would like to hear from owners in Cape Town.

Gate Keeper 10th August 2010 09:58

Hi DCN,

I am flying back to Nairobi in September where I have another home. I am planning to drive to Cape Town in my Trooper with the wife as we have to do some work on the farm on the Helderberg not far from the cape. We expect to visit J'berg on the way and plan to be in CPT Oct/Nov/Dec. I have been preparing for this trip for months. I learned from my mechanic in Nairobi how to change the discs, pads and do an oil change. I know it is not much, but it is a start. I spoke to the AA in Nairobi and they will arrange the carnet, arrange for us to be met at each border crossing to take us across. I was in cape town last year and remember seeing a Rover 75 in the multiple storey car park on the Waterfront and it looked to be in immaculate condition. There are certainly R75's around in S. Africa. But would not be up to safari - what a shame.

GK

Be lucky!

Gate Keeper 4th December 2010 15:49

A couple of weeks ago, I met up with 'Wood Goat' just outside of Cape Town up here on the mountain and delivered a Bosch ABS Module (3kg) I had brought out with me from the UK for his MG ZT. 2 evenings ago, where he lives, the road to Paarl is in excellent condition and Willie alias 'Wood Goat', enabled my first ever drive in an MG ZT. What a lovely motor it is to drive and in immaculate condition! in Red. I did not experience the clutch shudder he reported but he did tell me what RPM to reach and pull away from.

Many thanks Willie for your hospitality and the drive in the BMW 330D as well...what a treat and to eat 'Snoek' ... to meet your lovely lady as well with my other half' :}

Phil

Woodgoat 7th December 2010 06:43

Mr Gatekeeper, what a blessing it was for us to receive you and "J". I actually cannot wait for you guys to get back here. There are a few places I'd love to show you.
There is an Exquisite car Museum in "Franchoek" owned by Johann Rupert. They serve a fantastic Sandwich as well. A cherry farm a few kilometers from "Ceres" also springs to mind. For R15-00 you can wander among the trees and eat as many cherries as you like, ughh...
I must say that we also enjoyed the evening we spent with you and your lady. You have a stunning place. Simply mindboggling.
We're looking forward seeing you again. Untill next time, have a good trip back to Nairobi and the slightly "cooler" UK.

MangoMan 7th December 2010 09:58

Never owned a Rover in SA but did live there on and off between living in Zim.

Lived in Welkom & Virginia, (for my sins...lol) Pietermaritzburg long ago! And more recently Jo'burg, Lonehill to be exact.

Loved every moment! Shame they wouldn't let me stay......

Cheers, Bill.

Gate Keeper 10th December 2010 18:26

Hi WoodGoat

We are back in Nairobi and the heat. 31C in the shade and 41C in the sun yesterday. I must not complain really. Today a touch cooler and welcomed rain tonight. I look forward to seeing you in Feb/March after my return to the UK to check up on things and to see S750 LJW which Lewis has kindly been looking after. What a treat it would be to visit the car museum at Franchoek! I will keep a look out for the MG/ZT paint code chart you asked about? I think you had some other accessories in mind as well.... a fault code reader etc, All the best in the fitting of the ABS Module.

GK

Gate Keeper 10th December 2010 18:31

Hi Bill

Is it appropriate for me to ask 'why they would not let you stay' ?

I am only allowed to stay in S.A for up to 3 months at a time per entry visit..any longer and it involves a lot of red tape :shrug:

MangoMan 10th December 2010 21:04

No, not at all.
I was a permanent resident from way back, but I moved up to Zim and forgot to keep up my residence in SA, (well, in the old days you didn't have to) so when I left Zim to go back to SA I had to get my residence reinstated, which they desided not to do, even though all my family still live there!!! Bummer!

I really miss it....... Good days.

enjoy your stays....

Cheers, Bill.

Gate Keeper 11th December 2010 18:23

No worries Bill and thanks for letting me know what happened. Gone are the days of the good old days. I have distance relatives from Zim and still have friends who go back there now and again, and some are going back there for christmas, despite everything. Happy memories are so precious and can never be taken away.

All the best

Phil

Woodgoat 14th December 2010 06:53

Hello Phil, wow, that is hot!!! and it's not going to let up for a while.
My color code problem is that I have a ABS loom plug from a e39 BMW, the wire color coding not being the same as the ZT's. I need to know what color wires from the ZT's loom to mate up in the wires (different colors) on the BMW loom. I'm not looking forward to that job.
Enjoy your time in Nairobi (including the heat) and please send my regards to J.
Willie

Gate Keeper 14th December 2010 07:37

Hi Willie,

We had heavy rains here last night and the temps have dropped to 23C this a.m We are planning a trip down south to the Tanzanian Border at the weekend for 3 nights safari-camping in a family convoy of a 20 year discovery and my 8 year old trooper, both running well and maintained. Should be murky and muddy off-road and lots of photo opportunities.

I was thinking about the colour coding of the electrical wiring problems you are going to have in wiring in the ABS loom plug from the BMW E39 into the Bosch ABS module I brought out to you for your ZT which has different colours to the wiring - " A nightmare" to a non-tech" such as myself.

How about posting the above paragraph and moving it over to the technical forum here or to the guys on the mg260.com forum - just a thought!

It is certainly challenging but as you know there are many experts here or someone who also has 'been there before' with this unique problem.

P.S pics help :weihnacht2:
Phil

Gate Keeper 15th December 2010 07:28

Import/Export question?

Earlier on this year the Kenyan government introduced import restrictions making it illegal to import vehicles from outside of Kenya older than 6 years old. The ones which had arrived at the time the law was introduced were seized at the port of entry, impounded and crushed if found to be older than the 6 years. Are there any similar restrictions for South Africa? e.g Cape Town.

Gate Keeper 15th December 2010 08:10

I should add that I have no plans to export S750 LJW out of the UK.

Woodgoat 16th December 2010 08:59

Spectacular Water Jets Out Of Spark Plug Holes

Hi Phil,
I'm not sure about that, but I shall speak to people in the motor trade and let you know. However, before considering bringing a car in here from anywhere else, read this;
Three days ago while driving to Somerset West on the N2 the water pipe running down from the T - piece to the thermostat burst and completely drained the system. There were no noises, smoke or warnings from the instrument panel until I stopped at a robot and the engine cut out without a warning. I had tools in the car, removed the pipe and set off looking for a replacement. Three hours later, I had managed to modify another cars pipe and inserted it. I then attempted to fill the radiator but the water disappeared without spilling out the bottom of the car. Thankfully I discovered it (the water) when I removed the spark plugs... I have set out with my next mission to locate stores (or a store) that keeps spares for these cars and that is a mission in itself. Where found, the prices are ridiculous compared to locally available motor spare parts.
The moral of this story: If I was you and perhaps considering acquiring a motor vehicle here, I would buy it here and make sure there are plenty spares available for that specific model.
If you’re wondering if I’m going to rid myself of this car before or after I repaired it? Neither, I’m going to fix and keep it. As they say, love is blind…
Willie

Gate Keeper 17th December 2010 19:56

Hi Willie

I remember looking at the water pipe running from the T-Piece and it looked fine at the time. It just goes to show that anything can happen at any time.

I will take your advice and not import a car into S.A

The family this end have agreed that I can buy a 'Backkie' during our next visit next Feb'March. Probably a 2006 model with low to medium mileage. Am keeping an eye from time to time on autotrader.za and the other sites you mentioned.

You did well to find the source of the leak and to get everything sorted out so quickly. I see there are loads of car dealerships, used and new ones along by 'Century' on the way to Gordons Bay, where STILS also sell the farm machinery and a great industrial area of car parts etc. Drive through Somerset West, turn right at the traffic light opposite the Heart Unit Hospital...stay on that road and you will see the car dealerships either side of the road...keep going over the railway bridge, spare auto-parts and maybe find what you need..you might know it already?

Some of the guys on the forum here keep their 75/ZT's going by replacing them engines from other makes as you know.

If you would like me to post up a photo of your MG ZT on the forum which I took at your place and up at the farm, I would gladly do it..do let me know either way. Apart from the mechanical issues you have had with it now and again, it is in immaculate condition and a dream to drive.

I am away now for 3 nights from tomorrow heading south into the Rift Valley and will be out of contact. Bye for now

Cheers

Phil

brownie21 17th December 2010 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMORT3rnAL (Post 521950)
Hi, sorry for only replying now...

I take it you're going to import most of the parts? I found a place in Cape Town that deals with Rover write offs and they have a few nice parts but I've given up because they never return my calls.

Do you plan on doing any engine mods execpt for the thirsty 4.6l V8 monster?

Here's some pics of my beauty...

http://hosting11.imagecross.com/imag...7FrontSide.jpg

http://hosting11.imagecross.com/imag...65RearSide.jpg

Do you have any pics?

Love those wheels - they look the biz!

Woodgoat 18th December 2010 04:35

ZT with Alfa Engine. mmmm

I remember looking at the water pipe running from the T-Piece and it looked fine at the time. It just goes to show that anything can happen at any time.
Some of the guys on the forum here keep their 75/ZT's going by replacing them engines from other makes as you know.

Hello Phil,

My car is now parked at my office with the battery terminals disconnected. If I pour coolant into the radiator it simply runs into the piston chambers - waste of good water. I'll fix it next year, an expensive and time consuming excercise that I'm not looking forward to.
Of course you may post photos and No, I did not know that other make engines are fitted to these cars. As I mentioned to you before; I would love a ZT with a 3.2 litre Alfa Romeo V6 engine and 6 speed gearbox. I doubt the financial outlay is worth the bother though.
You guys seem to be having a fantastic time. Dont wast one minute of a day. It's just not worth it.

Cheers W

Woodgoat 18th December 2010 04:48

No 2nd Hand Spares In Cape Town

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownie21 (Post 636333)
Love those wheels - they look the biz!

Hi Wayne, not sure if you posted for my benefit.
There are people in Durbanville that keep spares for our cars and I'm not aware of a place that deals with second hand spares. I have noticed that "Gumtree" and "Cape Ads" run nationwide ads for spares and cars for sale, but as you have experienced, no response or old ads that has not been removed. Engine spares are available for the 1.8 because of the Freelander sharing the same engine as the MG/Rover. Your car looks good - love the green.
Enjoy the holidays

Cheers willie

Gate Keeper 23rd December 2010 07:14

Hi Willie and Wayne

Festive Greetings !

I love the 'Green' as well. My last CDTi was a greener as well.

I am just back from the Rift Valley - Tanzania-Kenyan part. My Trooper had a smashed windscreen (another story) which was replaced yesterday.

I was chatting with my 'other half' last night and I am thinking about importing the 2004 CDTi to Cape Town (the long way round by sea, as the other route via Kenyan waters is now designated by global insurers, a war zone and export fees via that route are double).

As for spare parts, as you know Willie, I am able to source some parts in the UK and fly them out with me in my travels. So far I have not encountered any problems with Customs.

So am going to look into exporting the CDTi against the feasibility, cost and practicality over the next few weeks.

I am back in London on 15 Jan and later on will arrange to meet Lewis and to pick up..insure..etc,... see S750 LJW

Phil

Gate Keeper 29th December 2010 05:23

Hi Willie

How is the fitting of the head gasket and ABS module going? Quite a challenge I imagine.

I did some more research about tourists importing motors into S.A .."Lots of red tape". The application has to be made in Pretoria with 3 independent valuations being submitted, plus a payment of 22% import tax on the accepted valuation of the CDTi. This is what I have managed to find out so far, but it might just the the tip of the iceberg so to speak!

I know you are away over the festive period.

All the best

Phil

Gate Keeper 11th January 2011 12:49

Hi Willie. Can you remind me which MG ZT you have and the year of its manufacture, also which BMW you have and the year of manufacture?

Re: Model compatibility for a diagnostics scanner I am to order and bring out to Cape Town when I am next there, sometime towards the end of Feb, all being well.

Is the scanner for straight forward diagnostics or would you want additional stuff such as Oil, ABS, Air Bags?

Phil

Woodgoat 17th January 2011 06:59

Hello Phil, first time back here since December.
My HGF has turned into somewhat of a headach. The sleeves are supposed to protrude app. 3 thou above the top of the block, but for some reason they are about 3 thou below, which means the engine had to be removed and extensive machine work has to be carried out. I am in the process of doing all that at the moment.
Another problem that has emerged on closer inspection is that the "dual purpose flywheel" has more play on it than it should which was why we had the "clutch shudder".
Anyway, enough of the moaning. My car is a 2005 "facelift" with the 1.8 turbo engine. The BMW is a 2002 330D (E46). I think I would have to be able to see if there is a particular problem on the ABS system, etc.
Thanks Phil, I appreciate your interest. Enjoy your day. W

Gate Keeper 17th January 2011 18:50

Hello Willie,

I think the E46 has the M47 engine in, so that will help me find a diagnostics/fault code reader and thanks for reminding me about the MG spec. I will speak to Ron and ask him which one I should pick up.

What a pain having to strip down your engine. On a positive note you have managed to pin down the source of the clutch shudder. I recall I did not get that when I pulled away in high RPM !

Cheers

Phil

Gate Keeper 18th January 2011 10:01

Hello Willie

Is your 2002 330 D,

OBD 2 compliant?

P

Gate Keeper 23rd January 2011 10:37

Willie,

I found a diagnostics scanner that may well be what you are looking for. It is a V401 for £99.99 and is can bus, EOBD and OBD2 compatible with 20 pin (if diagnostics link is under bonnet) and 16 pin Adaptors for most BMW petrol and Diesel up to 2005 and will do ABS Airbag as well.

http://scantool-direct.co.uk/ if you have time and see something else instead, do let me know.

Please advise if you would like to go ahead and I will get one ordered and bring it out. I already have a diagnostics for 75/ZT from 2004 but it won't do the ABS system.

Phil.

Gate Keeper 23rd January 2011 10:47

I just tried the link and there was a problem. Can you do an internet search for scan tool direct. (UK) Thanks.

COLVERT 30th January 2011 12:04

Tried the link but it says Scantool direct does not exist anymore.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Gate Keeper 31st January 2011 00:41

Kallinchy, Newtonyards in Northern Ireland is where they are based and we spoke to them on the phone on Saturday about one of their products, so I am surprised that the link informed you that they do not exist any more. The same product was advertised as made in China and the help line is in China, so we rang scan tool direct and they were helpful, even though we had not purchased the scanner from them. I do know the link I wrote above does not work. I found the company via google. Maybe Colin N.I has heard of them?

DCN808T 10th March 2011 18:04

Man! I had forgotten about this post! Glad to see everyone is getting along:) mr gatekeeper, I see you reside in ct? Have you had any dealings with a place called british auto parts in salt river?

Gate Keeper 11th March 2011 05:53

Hi Peter. I have not had any dealings so far with AutoParts in Salt River. I will look him up. I did see a Rover dealer in Cape Town near the Groote Schuur Hospital. I passed by and could not stop. It did have a big Rover banner outside up on display and had many Rover and MG ZT's for sale in the showroom. Wood Goat from here had called in and spoke to the dealer who set up the business last year. If you have time to pm me, I can tell you what his impressions were about his visit there. Next time I pass by, I will take some photos of it. We arrived in the Cape about about 2 weeks ago when it was very hot circa 40C. Cooler this week.

We bought a Hilux 3.0 KZTE 2002 TDI with 240K on the clock and diff lock, and canopy, one owner. No rust and so far, so good. Had been serviced by a Toyota dealer on 9 Feb. I joined the Hilux4X4 forum and they have pointed me to Allan Vintner (Mr. Hilux) in Brackenfell, should I need any work done. Have you heard of him? What part are you looking for? I am heading back to the UK in July and will be back in S.A sometime in August, as we are doing up a farm high up on the Helderberg - in fact the highest farm, hence my need for a bakkie within an R80K budget. I have seen about 5 Rover 75's in Somerset West since we have been here, 2 were at a dealership in the Strand selling for about R70,000 - I guess the spare parts are rare but can be sourced. Only a speculative opinion:}

conradash 14th March 2011 12:51

Greetings!

Just introducing myself and as you may be able to see - I'm in Cape Town!

Bought a Rover 75 V6 3 or so years ago and loving it. Except that its at the mechanic for the second time in 2 years with a fuel pump problem! Well, a suspected second fuel pump problem. My local mechanic is diagnosing the problem as we speak, hence my activity for all things related to Rover 75 on the forums.

Just thought I'd chip in about the Salt River/ opposite Groote Schuur Hospital British Auto Parts. Not that I have anything to compare with, but they seem a bit expensive, quoted approx R3500 for a service for my V6. Well, maybe that's not too expensive, but it felt that way. They are getting back to me on a quote for a new in-tank fuel pump though and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I also needed rear shocks replaced a couple of months back and got quoted about R7000 for it from them. Did some research and saw that there is a Monroe Shock that fits. Had it ordered and fitted by Autoquip in Cape Town CBD for under R3000 and its been working great!

Cheers

DCN808T 14th March 2011 15:15

Hi conrad. Welcome to the club. The reason i asked about b.a.p is they quoted me r7k for rear shocks aswell. I then also took the monroe route. There is quite a bit of info regarding fuel filters disassembling themselves. First thing I did when I got my beloved jessica is screw short self tapping screws into it to keep it together. Couldn't get hold of the orange clip the talk about. I'm sure mr woodgoat or mr gateKeeper will be along soon to say hello. They are from ct also. Seems its just me out in the bundus...

conradash 14th March 2011 16:35

Hi DCN

Thanks for the welcome. You may be out in the bundus but you're not alone. I see a couple of Rover 75s and an MGZT every so often, maybe once or twice a week. Our numbers, even though they're not growing, are holding steady. Had a holiday in Spain a couple of years back and was excited everytime I saw another one!

Just an update on the Fuel Pump issue on my Rachel.

I don't still know what it is but its come back from the auto-electrician and it seems the filter was blocked and the intermediate pipe meant that there wasn't any fuel flowing to the fuel pump. Cost to fix R1300. I paid that with pleasure after the first time I had to cough up R8000 to fix it rather than R14000 to replace!

DCN808T 14th March 2011 19:35

I haven't seen another 75 or zt around here this year. Used to be two v6's one zt 190 and a facelift 1.8t around. Now its just me. If it is a recurring problem may you should find the cause? Clean the tank, replace filters etc...?

Gate Keeper 26th March 2011 13:46

Hello Conrad, how are you? R14000 to replace a fuel pump? someone is having a laugh but no one is laughing. Are you still having a problem Conrad? I met up with Wood Goat last Sunday and he showed me his ZT which has a Freelander engine in it. You might want to think about using a fuel pump from a Freelander? as there are loads of parts here. What do you think Peter? The 'rattle and squeak' on the Hilux turned out to be a missing nut off the right front bumper. Easily sorted.

Woof25 27th March 2011 10:42

R75's

Gatekeeper is a bit of a wizard re 75's so he is usually on the ball as he has had his own heartaches with the car's we either love or hate if you are
Jeremy Clarkson.!!! we even get local garages asking us to source parts for them, role reversal lol but hey its good to help out another rover owner
after all,shame you cant import some into S A tho parts might be a problem I guess,but if you have good friends in UK who visit you now and then spares can be found and delivered providing not too heavy !!! lol

Woodgoat 28th March 2011 10:49

Hello There Conrad, DCN and Phil (Gatekeeper),
Nice to see theres a growing comunity in Cape Town. Phil has seen more Rover's in Somerset West in two weeks than I have seen the last six months. The more the better.
I would be extremely wary before supporting the agents that has been mentioned above. However, I just bought two front discs from a guy in Durbanville that was actually cheaper than at the parts stores. He seems pretty helpful.
The 1.8 litre engine is similar to the unit used in the Freelander and ample spares exist at 'Alert' and 'Masterparts'. Example: the 'agents' quoted me R160-00 for 1 hydraulic lifter. I eventually paid R320-00 for 16. Big difference, and well worth shopping around.

conradash 11th April 2011 09:51

Hello there Woodgoat, DCN, Phil and Michael.

Thanks for the views on BAP (I do see them working on 75s when I drive past there so they're obviously filling someone's needs), but I wouldn't particularly want to go there. And thanks for the tip on the Freelander pump. I was considering them (BAP) again when my 75 (Rachel's her name) was coming back from the mechanic for the 3rd time with the faulty fuel pump/ non starting problem. Just got a call from my (non-Rover specialist) mechanic that assured me that apart from the initial fuel pump problem its been the battery that needs replacing and causing the non starting. We'll wait and see.

Woodgoat 15th April 2011 09:19

Conrad, was it the Battery?

conradash 15th April 2011 13:47

Hi there Woodgoat

The battery is replaced and once again on the second turning my Rover starts and gets moving. The drive is as smooth as ever. Worries me that one day the starter is going to give in but will worry about that on another day!

Ashraf

Gate Keeper 16th April 2011 15:16

Bad news guys,

We lost our house today and the farm through a wild wind fire on Somerset West. The mountain is burning and it was so quick. All we had time for was to grab our clothes and passports. My fone Willie was left in the house. A strong SSE wind wiped everything out - the fire started at 9 a.m in the Helderberg Nature Reserve. Ours was the first to go being high up on the mountain. The fire swept through the valley and has taken 14 houses as well as the nature reserve. It took 3 hours for the planes and helicopters to spray and bomb our house. Too late sadly..despite fire engines attending from 09.50. At least we are safe. Friends are putting us up for the night. Phil

flyer_phil 27th April 2011 10:54

Hello friends in SA

I've been to SA a few times and spent 3 months in Nelspruit in 2002.

You lucky people I wish I lived there. Are there any jobs out there for an ageing Systems Engineer? If there are let me know :D

Regards

Phil Robinson

spyder 27th April 2011 15:20

It is a lovely country, with sunshine and countryside like nowhere else in the world. But there are good reasons, why a lot of us are moving here to the UK.....:confused: The brain drain continues.

nbrink 6th June 2011 11:45

Quote:

Hi. I am also from SA, Durban. Bought my Rover 75 1.8T last year in Botswana. Have a couple of problems that need sorted and yes, it is difficult to find someone that is prepared to work on them or even can. Not to mention getting a diagnostic done. I found a guy in Cape Town who looks reasonably priced. Might want to have a look at his website: www.classically-british.co.za. Al least he replies to your emails, but he is however not a mechanic, he only imports parts and you can get almost anything from him. Good luck, and hope someone can give me an idea of anyone in the Durban area.

spyder 6th June 2011 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbrink (Post 736329)
Hi. I am also from SA, Durban. Bought my Rover 75 1.8T last year in Botswana. Have a couple of problems that need sorted and yes, it is difficult to find someone that is prepared to work on them or even can. Not to mention getting a diagnostic done. I found a guy in Cape Town who looks reasonably priced. Might want to have a look at his website: www.classically-british.co.za. Al least he replies to your emails, but he is however not a mechanic, he only imports parts and you can get almost anything from him. Good luck, and hope someone can give me an idea of anyone in the Durban area.

A friend of mine specilaizes in Landrover motors, mainly on cylinder heads. But hopefully you will not need to go down that road. He was on the bluff, but has now I think moved to the North coast. The MG car club was big in KZN at one stage and did import a lot of parts for their cars. Not that they will consider our cars any part of MG though.
If you need any smallish parts from the UK maybe I can help and send them to you. I will also be making a trip back at some stage, but to the more civilized Gauteng.:D

Maybe check your springs if the car has lived in Botswana.

Regards Craig

nbrink 6th June 2011 12:29

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder (Post 736335)
A friend of mine specilaizes in Landrover motors, mainly on cylinder heads. But hopefully you will not need to go down that road. He was on the bluff, but has now I think moved to the North coast. The MG car club was big in KZN at one stage and did import a lot of parts for their cars. Not that they will consider our cars any part of MG though.
If you need any smallish parts from the UK maybe I can help and send them to you. I will also be making a trip back at some stage, but to the more civilized Gauteng.:D

Maybe check your springs if the car has lived in Botswana.

Regards Craig

Hi Craig

The suspension is 100%. The problems are that it has a slight misfire and when accelerating, especially uphill, the revs would drop about 200rpm(while accellerating) and then climb again and drop again and this will continue until you release the fuel pedal. And no one here can do a diagnostic check for me, any ideas? The engine management light use to come on, then disappear for awhile and reapear again. Now it has been on for the past week, without any major difference in how the car reacts. What worried me, is that when I started the car over the weekend, a different icon came up on the centre console, the engine picture with a cross through it...???? Any ideas?

spyder 6th June 2011 14:31

Hi Neil, I run a diesel here. I had a 1.8 turbo VW in SA, the biggest problem with those there is the heat build up destroying the air intake sensor (MAF) , and also the coil packs. Not sure if it is the same on the Rover motors. Most Bosh service centres have the equipment to test these, I used two of them in JHB @ about R200 a session.

I have posted your query on the tech. forum, as not many people will look here.

good luck

Craig

nbrink 7th June 2011 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder (Post 736413)
Hi Neil, I run a diesel here. I had a 1.8 turbo VW in SA, the biggest problem with those there is the heat build up destroying the air intake sensor (MAF) , and also the coil packs. Not sure if it is the same on the Rover motors. Most Bosh service centres have the equipment to test these, I used two of them in JHB @ about R200 a session.

I have posted your query on the tech. forum, as not many people will look here.

good luck

Craig

Thanx Spyder. Will contact one of the local Bosch agent here in Durban to find out. Where can I find information on the MAF sensor and what does it do? And is it possible that the unit sitting on the airbox that has got the three pipes going to the turbo could cause these problems? I think it is called the Waste Valve or something.

Gate Keeper 12th June 2011 08:54

Hi Neil,

How did you get on?

nbrink 13th June 2011 05:27

Hi Gatekeeper

Nothing yet. Am yet to try a few possibilities of what might be causing the problems. Wanted to change the vacuum pipes to the Boost control solenoid valve this weekend but the weather did not permit. Will try this Thursday if the weather is ok and also check the turbo pipes. If all else fails, then I will have to get a mechanic to have a look. I found someone that will have a look but he is not a Rover mechanic. Will keep everyone updated on what I find.