The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sorry Looking 54 Plate V8 Tourer in Mid Wales (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=219394)

BMW Basher 21st June 2015 22:56

Sorry Looking 54 Plate V8 Tourer in Mid Wales

Whilst visiting a body shop for a quote on my 75 saloon, I noticed in the car park a silver 54 plate V8 Tourer that's been parked up for a number of months apparently.

I made some enquiries about it, I'm told the owner parked it up last winter and not touched it since. It looks a bit sorry for it's self with some minor dents in the doors as you can see from the photos. The grill looks like it's been taped back on at the top.

I don't know too much about the V8's I assume they're all Connoisseur SE spec plus other options as standard- it's got full Smokestone leather, sunroof, satnav and the wheels normally found on the Contemporary. Anyway, I'm sure it could be saved.

rrobson 21st June 2015 23:59

It's a very rare example. Is it for sale?

The_irish_rover 22nd June 2015 06:39

Currently on a SORN, last MOT expired April 2014. This looks like one of those forgotten cars that in years to come you see on eBay. Wonder why the owner has laid it up if they have no intentions of putting it back on the road?

Also, a tow bar? Blimey, what were they towing?

BMW Basher 22nd June 2015 08:06

I'll try and make some enquiries.

pm77 22nd June 2015 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_irish_rover (Post 2029309)
Also, a tow bar? Blimey, what were they towing?

A tanker of fuel:getmecoat:

The_irish_rover 22nd June 2015 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by pm77 (Post 2029338)

Ha ha! That makes sense!

AURORA MG 22nd June 2015 10:02

Could be worth just leaving your info on the car somewhere if you get no joy in finding who owns it.
Definitely worth saving.

stevestrat 22nd June 2015 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by pm77 (Post 2029338)

Fuel consumption isn't as frightening as you think, its a big, lazy engine and doesn't get a lot less mpg than a V6 190. I surprised myself when I got just under 28mpg bringing mine home from south of Leeds when I bought it.

MrDoodles 22nd June 2015 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2029388)
Fuel consumption isn't as frightening as you think, its a big, lazy engine and doesn't get a lot less mpg than a V6 190. I surprised myself when I got just under 28mpg bringing mine home from south of Leeds when I bought it.

That is with a manual transmission though and all the 75's are auto! ;)

T16 22nd June 2015 10:25

Quote:

It certainly is.

I have a diesel and a 260, and to be honest, the disgraceful economy is quite wearing sometimes.

mh007 22nd June 2015 12:10

Who buys any car with a big engine & then worries about economy ?

I know all my cars are running right & to be honest, I couldn't tell you what any of them do to the gallon.

You buy a 260 for the sheer fun of driving it.

stevestrat 22nd June 2015 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mh007 (Post 2029449)
Who buys any car with a big engine & then worries about economy ? . . . . You buy a 260 for the sheer fun of driving it.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I've got the 260 and 1.8T, I love the 260 so much the 1.8T hasn't moved for two weeks :D

T16 22nd June 2015 12:57

260 is a nice enough drive, but too flipping slow.

Even with an Accufab and Xpowers, I'm screaming for the supercharger.

Hopefully soon.

mh007 22nd June 2015 13:43

Another reason to throw economy out of the window.

I love my 260 just as it is.

There's a member over on the two-sixties that has a supercharged variant & he's just lost his engine while he was gunning it a bit !

Suspected bottom end failure with an almighty bang apparently.

Was it the additional stress of the supercharger that caused it ?............possibly !!

T16 22nd June 2015 13:45

unlikely.

it was more than likely the rod bolts after being over-revved at some point in its life.

They are a weak point on ALL the engines, supercharged or not.

rrobson 22nd June 2015 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW Basher (Post 2029337)
I'll try and make some enquiries.

Yes, please do ;)

Stu C 22nd June 2015 16:03

That's a shame to see it like that, Merl wants to get a Rover 75 estate V8. One of 14 if i remember rightly :)

Les4048 22nd June 2015 17:30

Quote:

Totally agree, very reasonable to run unless you floor it through all the gears lol

Duotone 22nd June 2015 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu C (Post 2029573)
That's a shame to see it like that, Merl wants to get a Rover 75 estate V8. One of 14 if i remember rightly :)

According to Tim from the Two-sixties there were 16 Rover 75 V8 tourer's built,

of those three were left hand drive, so only 13 in right drive form.

Dave T

stevestrat 22nd June 2015 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les4048 (Post 2029628)
Totally agree, very reasonable to run unless you floor it through all the gears lol

Can't resist doing that now and then Les, just for the grin factor :D

Les4048 22nd June 2015 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2029633)
Can't resist doing that now and then Les, just for the grin factor :D

Thank god I don't use mine a lot as I grin from ear to ear every time I take it out lol

LimoRog 22nd June 2015 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duotone (Post 2029632)
According to Tim from the Two-sixties there were 16 Rover 75 V8 tourer's built,

of those three were left hand drive, so only 13 in right drive form.

Dave T

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3e3459fbcc.jpg Here is mine one of the 13

Ravinder 22nd June 2015 19:41

The last 666 were facelift. The first 217 were pre facelift.

trikey 22nd June 2015 21:06

That one needs saving!!

marinabrian 22nd June 2015 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2029891)
That one needs saving!!

Why, I have to ask :shrug:

What it really needs is scrapping :devil:

Brian :D

3disco 22nd June 2015 21:16

And all Rover variants were facelift!:}

Ravinder 22nd June 2015 21:41

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a pre facelift 260.

T16 22nd June 2015 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nich (Post 2029783)
Only the last 666. The first 217 were pre facelift.

216 was the best of both worlds, mk1 inside (better quality) but mk2 outside!

RichB 22nd June 2015 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2029938)
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a pre facelift 260.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/p...psjd14ueko.jpg

trikey 22nd June 2015 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2029900)
Why, I have to ask :shrug:

What it really needs is scrapping :devil:

We know you love em really Bri, especially when you have to play with the zcs coding :p:

trikey 22nd June 2015 22:22

And a green mk1 ;)

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps17bc5e64.jpg

Les4048 23rd June 2015 04:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2029771)
Did all the 260s only ever come in facelift?

Do you mean the Rover or MG ? there's plenty MG pre-facelift but I think all Rover V8 had the Premium grille

mh007 23rd June 2015 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 2029499)
unlikely.

it was more than likely the rod bolts after being over-revved at some point in its life.

They are a weak point on ALL the engines, supercharged or not.

You're probably correct in saying the conrod bolts give way due to over revving but fitting a supercharger on a 'standard' engine is likely to cause more stress because it'll be driven harder surely ?
I'm aware that big ends are potentially a weak point on an engine amongst other things.
I've seen plenty of the results during my years in the trade.
As I said, the owner of the 260 admitted to gunning it (or "giving it some beans" as he said).

MrDoodles 23rd June 2015 18:46

As the standard 4.6 Modular V8, left the factory with a cast, rather than forged bottom end, when fitted with a Supercharger, revving them over 6,000 rpm, will only spell disaster!

marinabrian 23rd June 2015 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nich (Post 2030170)
Don't know where you got that from, it is generally accepted that there were 217 Mk1's and 666 Mk2's. There were a number of cars with a mixture of different parts including one or two early cars with facelift front ends. The differences between Mk1 and Mk2 went deeper than just cosmetic with the addition of things like cruise and traction control to SE models and typical of the MG brand at that time there was a lot of blurring between the lines of SE and non SE. But 0183, 0206, 0207, 0208, 0211 and 0215 all have facelift front ends.

And right up until the bitter end the electronics in the V8 were stamped "Prototype not for production use"

So what does that say about the cars, I mean they really are unfinished prototypes which should have been killed at birth.

Only Rover could have proposed such a ludicrous vehicle, it ranks alongside the Tata Indica "City Rover" for electronic quality :getmecoat:

ND23 24th June 2015 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2030605)
And right up until the bitter end the electronics in the V8 were stamped "Prototype not for production use"

So what does that say about the cars, I mean they really are unfinished prototypes which should have been killed at birth.

Only Rover could have proposed such a ludicrous vehicle, it ranks alongside the Tata Indica "City Rover" for electronic quality :getmecoat:

Pity you can't keep your own sad, vitriolic ramblings to yourself. It does get really tedious having to put up with your constant whinging about this range of cars dotted in amongst some interesting comments.

trikey 24th June 2015 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nich (Post 2030791)
Pity you can't keep your own sad, vitriolic ramblings to yourself. It does get really tedious having to put up with your constant whinging about this range of cars dotted in amongst some interesting comments.

Brian may have his own opinions on the V8, but its not without justification, I have seen him using T4 on them and to talk to the system(s) used in the cars, it is a nightmare!

marinabrian 24th June 2015 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nich (Post 2030791)

Fortunately enough, despite me being sad and vitriolic I also have the good sense not to own one of these unfinished kit cars.

Not only do they drive atrociously, the fit and finish, even by MGR standards is poor.

If you find this offensive, sorry.......however you do have your own elite forum dedicated to these half baked wonders.

You may find it as www.thetwo-sixties.com

Brian :getmecoat:

ND23 24th June 2015 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2030944)
Brian may have his own opinions on the V8, but its not without justification, I have seen him using T4 on them and to talk to the system(s) used in the cars, it is a nightmare!

We all have our own opinions with or without justification but comments like

"unfinished prototypes which should have been killed at birth."

and

"a ludicrous vehicle, it ranks alongside the Tata Indica "City Rover" for electronic quality"

are just insulting. I have owned my car, as have many others, since 2004 and have never had any problems which could justify those sort of comments. His limited (how many has he worked on? 1? 5? 10? 20?) experiences do not in any way justify his comments. Just because he has had problems with his T4 communicating it doesn't mean to say that the whole range is faulty or worthy of his vitriol.
I am all for free speech and every persons right to express an opinion but the constant spiteful, negative comments are tedious in the extreme when they are interspersed in useful discussion threads.

marinabrian 24th June 2015 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nich (Post 2030962)
We all have our own opinions with or without justification but comments like

"unfinished prototypes which should have been killed at birth."

and

"a ludicrous vehicle, it ranks alongside the Tata Indica "City Rover" for electronic quality"

are just insulting. I have owned my car, as have many others, since 2004 and have never had any problems which could justify those sort of comments. His limited (how many has he worked on? 1? 5? 10? 20?) experiences do not in any way justify his comments. Just because he has had problems with his T4 communicating it doesn't mean to say that the whole range is faulty or worthy of his vitriol.
I am all for free speech and every persons right to express an opinion but the constant spiteful, negative comments are tedious in the extreme when they are interspersed in useful discussion threads.

They are garbage, and should never have been produced......ever.

How about this for a quality decision, bleed nipple on the clutch master cylinder is in the lowest position of the hydraulic system.

Make no bones about it, if these were cars produced by a group of enthusiasts I would applaud the effort, but no they were produced by a mass production car company who should have known better :getmecoat:

Brian :cool:

AndyG 24th June 2015 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2030960)
kit cars.

Not only do they drive atrociously,

kit cars.
I agree. MGs started as a Kit Car, so no change there ;)

Not only do they drive atrociously

You obviously never driven one:
On a Race Track.
On an Autoban.
Up and down mountains in Austria - Switzerland - Italy.
On a Drag Strip (beating a V8 Marcos).
Trundling around towns.
Towed at High Speed.
Perfect DoNuts (especially in the snow :p:)
Drive 800 miles in one run and could still drive another 800.
Owned for 8 years and enjoy every turn of the wheels.
Or is that just me :devil:

trikey 24th June 2015 15:03

1 Attachment(s)
Lol, i think you will find marinabrian has more than a little quarter mile action under his belt!

AndyG 24th June 2015 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2031053)
Lol, i think you will find marinabrian has more than a little quarter mile action under his belt!

It's above the neck that is the challenge :shrug:

marinabrian 24th June 2015 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2031059)
It's above the neck that is the challenge :shrug:

Now now, just because your blown Crown Victoria engine couldn't keep up there is now need to make it personal :p:

marinabrian 24th June 2015 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2030974)
kit cars.
I agree. MGs started as a Kit Car, so no change there ;)

Not only do they drive atrociously

You obviously never driven one:
On a Race Track.
On an Autoban.
Up and down mountains in Austria - Switzerland - Italy.
On a Drag Strip (beating a V8 Marcos).
Trundling around towns.
Towed at High Speed.
Perfect DoNuts (especially in the snow :p:)
Drive 800 miles in one run and could still drive another 800.
Owned for 8 years and enjoy every turn of the wheels.
Or is that just me :devil:

I notice you don't mention the fit and finish of the chopped through with an angle grinder front subframe in this edited quote.

And if I wanted to do donuts, I can do that in the dry I don't need snow :getmecoat:

marinabrian 24th June 2015 15:41

I'd better not mention the slop in the transmission that makes the car feel like the propshaft has a duff Hardy Spicer joint, or the occasional "heartbeat" of the charge fault light, or the black olive aircon "fixes", or helicoiled spark plugs, or when maneuvering at low speed in damp conditions the front end "skip".

That's before mentioning the fact you can't keep up with a ZR160 on a country road due to understeer :eek:

They may sound nice, but the driving experience........well I'd rather take the bus :getmecoat:

VMax1000 24th June 2015 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2031074)
I'd better not mention the slop in the transmission that makes the car feel like the propshaft has a duff Hardy Spicer joint, or the occasional "heartbeat" of the charge fault light, or the black olive aircon "fixes", or helicoiled spark plugs, or when maneuvering at low speed in damp conditions the front end "skip".

That's before mentioning the fact you can't keep up with a ZR160 on a country road due to understeer :eek:

They may sound nice, but the driving experience........well I'd rather take the bus :getmecoat:

Well, at least you can get a few return trips since you don't want to own one...
Must be getting close to a free bus pass now :getmecoat:

It's just as well we all have are own opinions about cars and willing to put up with the niggles it can have..............

I've driven a ZT190 and can't say it's any better than the 260
When looking for a company car in the Netherlands the Alfa147 was far better build and spec-ed than the ZR160 so went for that.

Like I say, all opinions and people's own valid truth about a car.

No need to get the daggers out because some obsolete software struggles to connect:shrug:

pete 75 24th June 2015 16:14

Just to get this thread back on track,any news on the car mentioned in the first post?

A19_Graham 24th June 2015 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2031069)
I notice you don't mention the fit and finish of the chopped through with an angle grinder front subframe in this edited quote.

And if I wanted to do donuts, I can do that in the dry I don't need snow :getmecoat:

Much rather Eat them? :shrug::shrug:

AndyG 24th June 2015 16:48

Never mind, I will take my ball and play elsewhere :}
http://thumbsnap.com/s/cT7BE6pN.jpg

marinabrian 24th June 2015 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by VMax1000 (Post 2031087)
Well, at least you can get a few return trips since you don't want to own one...
Must be getting close to a free bus pass now :getmecoat:

Not quite yet ;)

It's just as well we all have are own opinions about cars and willing to put up with the niggles it can have..............

I own several Morris Marina.....I know this better than most

I've driven a ZT190 and can't say it's any better than the 260
When looking for a company car in the Netherlands the Alfa147 was far better build and spec-ed than the ZR160 so went for that

I don't own a ZR160, I was just pointing out it blew the 260 into the weeds

Like I say, all opinions and people's own valid truth about a car.

No need to get the daggers out because some obsolete software struggles to connect:shrug:]

You will find rather than obsolete, much like the cars it was designed to communicate with, it wasn't finished properly ;)

At the time of launch of the 260 MG Rover chose not to pay Omitec's development costs for the diagnostic side of things, this coupled with the fact each and every one of the V8 cars is stuffed full of prototype electronics, which are of dubious quality is the cause of most woes.

The last revision of software released by Omitec post dates the launch of the V8 models by two years, and certainly includes the entire production run of V8's, so rather than obsolete, it was certainly a contemporary

In terms of endearment, I'm sure your car brings you a lot of pleasure, however each and every single V8 model is a prototype make no mistake.

In terms of the car mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I'm sure the owner had good reason to park it up and walk away.....

Possible V8 converts may like to read a little into the way a V8 drives, and what a disaster they actually are......

An interesting read

marinabrian 24th June 2015 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2031116)
Never mind, I will take my ball and play elsewhere :}
http://thumbsnap.com/s/cT7BE6pN.jpg

Best thing you've posted yet Andy :cool:

stevestrat 24th June 2015 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2031116)

Here Brian, my local Co-op up has Dennis the menace car air fresheners, two in a pack, one Dennis and one Gnasher.

trikey 24th June 2015 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2031127)
Here Brian, my local Co-op up has Dennis the menace car air fresheners, two in a pack, one Dennis and one Gnasher.

Dont tell him that, he will go and buy the lot!!

stevestrat 24th June 2015 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2031215)
Dont tell him that, he will go and buy the lot!!

If I hadn't lost his address when my laptop crashed I'd send him a couple.

marinabrian 24th June 2015 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2031220)
If I hadn't lost his address when my laptop crashed I'd send him a couple.

My Beano one is not very smelly any more, however looks like I've sold the Anthracite ZT anyway :party:

trikey 24th June 2015 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2031240)
My Beano one is not very smelly any more, however looks like I've sold the Anthracite ZT anyway :party:

Great news, you can go get that 75 V8 now then :getmecoat:

A19_Graham 24th June 2015 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2031254)
Great news, you can go get that 75 V8 now then :getmecoat:

Not Disappointing enough for Wor Brian!

VMax1000 24th June 2015 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2031118)

Thanks for the link, interesting read. It's nice to read that they actually tried to get the ZT385 in production.

Here's one from the same author about a ZT260 MKII
On the other hand the comment at the end suggests the opposite of what you're trying to prove. The ZT260 is a great car and so would the 385 been if it would have made production.

Quote:

Nic Fasci, one of the engineers who worked on the car summed-up: ‘The ZT385 was always a “show item” and way off the final production car. Great bit of fun though. ZT260s were great, and the production car would have been absolutely fantastic with the most amazing soundtrack too. Happy days and proud to be a part of that bit of history.’
Anyway, I like the 260 hence why I have one. You don't and that's why you won't buy one. Fair enough, but lets stop the slagging off and just appreciate we have this part of MG/Rover heritage whether people like it or not.

RichB 24th June 2015 19:25

I think Brian is sat chuckling at some of these comments. :D

He did actual say something positive about my 260...

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 1880289)

Very nice though, not at all dreary or disappointing :D

Brian :cool:

Can we get this framed? :pic:

Rich.

T16 24th June 2015 19:28

Everyone knows the foibles of the 260, its done to death.

Slow, transmission slop, poor gear change feel, possible hopping on full lock, dreadful economy, and expensive and hard to get spares.

The good bits are an amazing soundtrack, effortless cruising, driving it is more of an "event" rather than a mundane drive, and the handling and braking is absolutely superb for such a car. Also the ingenuity of the engineering on the budget was incredible. In addition you have a vehicle which is rarer than most classic Ferraris, so its rather exclusive.

However, the idea that it cant keep up with a ZR on a country road is utter nonsense. Driven properly its a very capable car, and with a charger, you are on to a total winner for the total outlay, even compared to more modern machinery.

As I said everyone knows the "character" and this is part of the reason people go for them, they have a soul, despite all the little things that you detail in your post.

I'd never ever sell mine, its possibly one of the best examples out there, and worth far more to me than the ~£7k that I might get for it if I ever decided to sell it!

rich17865 24th June 2015 19:48

I like Brian and his comments, it's better than reading a thread asking how to fix a ZT on a budget of £1.17 or a thread on how someone thinks their V6 did 48mpg around town.

pm77 25th June 2015 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich17865 (Post 2031311)
I like Brian and his comments, it's better than reading a thread asking how to fix a ZT on a budget of £1.17 or a thread on how someone thinks their V6 did 48mpg around town.

True, when you meet him he has lots of tongue in cheek comments to make about all the 75/ZT's. Non of the models are perfect, probably no car ever produced was. Brian knows the little faults and then let's you know all about them. Some are worth knowing, others minor quality issues that can be improved on. He takes the Mick out of his own cars too. It's just light hearted northern humour.

At a recent meet, some people had gone to town with their engine bays. Brian walks up, "Oh, you've not polished/painted that nut". He's just having a laugh.

stevestrat 25th June 2015 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete 75 (Post 2031092)
Just to get this thread back on track,any news on the car mentioned in the first post?

:wot:
Now that the handbag fight has died down, any more info?

johnny t 25th June 2015 10:24

I don't know about anybody else but I quite like having a prototype, makes it feel a little bit more special

tonybubble 25th June 2015 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny t (Post 2031703)
I don't know about anybody else but I quite like having a prototype, makes it feel a little bit more special

Can't possibly compare with the joys of driving a Marina, though!! :D

marinabrian 25th June 2015 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonybubble (Post 2031729)
Can't possibly compare with the joys of driving a Marina, though!! :D

You are absolutely right Tony, the ZT260 is far too sloooooowww, even with a supercharger :getmecoat:

Now this is what I call a supercharger ;)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...9&d=1435158189

johnny t 25th June 2015 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2031770)
You are absolutely right Tony, the ZT260 is far too sloooooowww, even with a supercharger :getmecoat:

Now this is what I call a supercharger ;)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...9&d=1435158189

I can't ever remember morris making a Marina like that, so it must be a rubbish kit car

marinabrian 25th June 2015 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny t (Post 2031841)
I can't ever remember morris making a Marina like that, so it must be a rubbish kit car

Might well be a rubbish kit car, but 0-60 in 2.7 seconds is faster than your rubbish kit car...oh and at least it's not finished in primer either :p:

johnny t 25th June 2015 16:06

Yeah but mines a prototype which instantly makes it better and my dad's bigger than yours so nah

marinabrian 25th June 2015 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny t (Post 2031887)
Yeah but mines a prototype which instantly makes it better and my dad's bigger than yours so nah

LOL :rofl:

Finally a sense of humour :bowdown:, are we getting the jist of not taking life too seriously yet ;)

johnny t 25th June 2015 16:19

Mate I am just in the process of recomissioning my mgb which as stood in the back of my garage for 25 year's you can't fail to have a sense of humour. I'd love to see some of the young guy's with there laptops tackle this baby

marinabrian 25th June 2015 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny t (Post 2031893)
Mate I am just in the process of recomissioning my mgb which as stood in the back of my garage for 25 year's you can't fail to have a sense of humour. I'd love to see some of the young guy's with there laptops tackle this baby

I know that feeling well....I had a rubber bumper model BGT, and used an entire "N" size bottle of acetylene welding in new panels :eek:

Strangely enough the colour was also Citron, which is a tad bright :eek:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploa...is/5320543.jpg

Still at least with a "B" you can dismantle the entire car with five spanners, plus the exhaust note of a well tuned twin carb B-Series is absolutely ace :drool4:

Best of luck with the recommissioning job, and hope the tinworm moths haven't been too unkind.

johnny t 25th June 2015 18:08

No tin worm in this one mate just perished rubber sticky petrol and bad contacts,

ksilver 25th June 2015 20:04

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and it would be a sad day if individuals were censored if they did not subscribe to the "group think" that can often pervade in this type of forum.

But I do find it disappointing and actually quite disturbing that within an enthusiasts forum some of the comments are not only quite scathing on the actual cars we are supposed to be supporting, but these individuals seem to look for every and the slightest opportunity to put the boot in.

For my part I can only say I am on my second 260 (actually the current one is a 385 with a Roush SC), and in the 7+ years I have had them, I have covered just short of 200,000 miles and until about a year ago they were my daily drivers.

These have been 2 of the best cars I have ever owned, only the first one was on T4 in my presence, that was Gary at Methlick and it seemed to work fine, but really for the amount of miles I have covered I have not had any significant issues and have never regretted owning them.

The experience of driving the V8 can't underplayed, no it's not the fastest, even the SC car doesn't "feel" that fast, but it's interesting to find you can be at the speed limit rather quickly if not paying attention.

I recall Rincewind quoting the performance figures for the only production 385 as 4.7 sec 0-60 and a top speed of 179 mph. Not bad for a "kit car"!

marinabrian 25th June 2015 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichB (Post 2031280)
I think Brian is sat chuckling at some of these comments. :D

He did actual say something positive about my 260...

Can we get this framed? :pic:

Rich.

You are absolutely correct Rich, chuckling indeed, and yes Garnet Red is lovely :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pm77 (Post 2031623)
True, when you meet him he has lots of tongue in cheek comments to make about all the 75/ZT's. Non of the models are perfect, probably no car ever produced was. Brian knows the little faults and then let's you know all about them. Some are worth knowing, others minor quality issues that can be improved on. He takes the Mick out of his own cars too. It's just light hearted northern humour.

At a recent meet, some people had gone to town with their engine bays. Brian walks up, "Oh, you've not polished/painted that nut". He's just having a laugh.

Sadly Paul, a lot of sense of humour bypass going on here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2031889)
LOL :rofl:

Finally a sense of humour :bowdown:, are we getting the jist of not taking life too seriously yet ;)

At last :D......or did I speak too soon......

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksilver (Post 2032063)
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and it would be a sad day if individuals were censored if they did not subscribe to the "group think" that can often pervade in this type of forum.

But I do find it disappointing and actually quite disturbing that within an enthusiasts forum some of the comments are not only quite scathing on the actual cars we are supposed to be supporting, but these individuals seem to look for every and the slightest opportunity to put the boot in.

For my part I can only say I am on my second 260 (actually the current one is a 385 with a Roush SC), and in the 7+ years I have had them, I have covered just short of 200,000 miles and until about a year ago they were my daily drivers.

These have been 2 of the best cars I have ever owned, only the first one was on T4 in my presence, that was Gary at Methlick and it seemed to work fine, but really for the amount of miles I have covered I have not had any significant issues and have never regretted owning them.

The experience of driving the V8 can't underplayed, no it's not the fastest, even the SC car doesn't "feel" that fast, but it's interesting to find you can be at the speed limit rather quickly if not paying attention.

I recall Rincewind quoting the performance figures for the only production 385 as 4.7 sec 0-60 and a top speed of 179 mph. Not bad for a "kit car"!

Now this is the trouble, no one wants to hear about the shortcomings of their car, or even a challenge to the "elitist" element of what is in all cases a car which in theory is a fantastic idea, but poorly executed.

I don't take life, or indeed the car I choose to drive seriously, I mean who on earth would shoehorn a 407 cubic inch W-Series Chevy Big Block engine into a Marina van with a Holley blower :getmecoat:

It certainly doesn't handle very well, but then again with a budget of less than twelve grand, it sounds like Cerberus barking, a sub 3 second 0-60 and has a top speed of 168 MPH, not bad for a kit car either :p:

It seems to me those owners of V8 cars who truly believe the sun shines from the polished silencers, seem to take delight at shows revving the nuts of their cars as if to say "look mine is bigger than yours"

Now this may be entertaining once or twice, but it is at every single meet I have attended with more than one V8 present.

In terms of attacking and not supporting models within a club dedicated to all R40 derivative cars.....well you didn't see what went on behind the scenes between myself and Wyn Fellowes (Eurorover) in terms of 007, not the hundreds of man hours, long telephone calls, trial and error to get this basket case prototype running again, and for what payment....oh yes I got a buckled 11 spoke wheel with a bald tyre.

I didn't expect, nor want payment, but that is what I accepted as a token gesture from the man who thanked you in your original post :getmecoat:

Make no mistake about it, I find playing with the electronics involved in not only standard models, but the non standard versions of these cars both interesting and challenging....much more so than the cars as a whole and would never turn anyone in dire need away, but remember one thing playing the elite game doesn't wash with me ;)

I own a production car, one of less than 80 produced, a dozen survivors, and one of two models produced in a particular trim level, so 884 cars is not that rare to me.

I am glad you enjoy your car, and indeed your previous car Ken, and applaud someone who has poured over 10000 gallons of fuel into their car.... but do please look at this objectively, they are seriously flawed, mechanically, and electrically, and if you see that as "putting the boot in", so be it.

With no such blinkered views, as you correctly point out, I am more than entitled to poke fun, as people are to poke fun at me.

The difference being, I am not as touchy about it as some ;)

Steve61 26th June 2015 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2032186)

I don't take life, or indeed the car I choose to drive seriously, I mean who on earth would shoehorn a 407 cubic inch W-Series Chevy Big Block engine into a Marina van with a Holley blower :getmecoat:

It certainly doesn't handle very well, but then again with a budget of less than twelve grand, it sounds like Cerberus barking, a sub 3 second 0-60 and has a top speed of 168 MPH, not bad for a kit car either :p:

Dave Russell and Joe 'Shrek' Williams.
Unless it's a different van you're talking about, which is possible because The Van With No Name has a Blown 540ci Big Block and cost considerably more than 12k to build.
If it was that cheap, I'd be on the phone to Dave tomorrow for a replica. :D:D

tonybubble 26th June 2015 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2032186)
In terms of attacking and not supporting models within a club dedicated to all R40 derivative cars.....well you didn't see what went on behind the scenes between myself and Wyn Fellowes (Eurorover) in terms of 007, not the hundreds of man hours, long telephone calls, trial and error to get this basket case prototype running again, and for what payment....oh yes I got a buckled 11 spoke wheel with a bald tyre.

I didn't expect, nor want payment, but that is what I accepted as a token gesture from the man who thanked you in your original post :getmecoat:

I suggest that if you want to make this personal, Brian, then perhaps it is better dealt with privately by PM.

The man with the basket case prototype and purveyor of free (but buckled) wheels.

stevestrat 26th June 2015 12:06

I've had my 260 for nearly six months and I love it despite its shortcomings. I don't know why people get so wound up when Brian says something about the V8s. When ever I see Brian at a meet he takes the pee out of it but that doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just laugh because I know Brian likes winding people up, its tongue in cheek and if I had a problem with the 260 he'd do everything he could to help same as he would with any other model.

"Elitist"? Not me but some are and won't have a bad word said against them . . . . lighten up guys, life's too short.

johnny t 26th June 2015 13:44

Call it a prototype again please it makes me feel dirty

guru 26th June 2015 20:37

ZT 260........bah my diesel powered family estate will keep up with one of those ;) .........actually that would quite an interesting drag if any 260 owners are interested?

I always fancied a 260 but sadly I do too many miles for one to make sense plus the challenges of dealing with it's maintenance out here in deepest darkest Norfolk gave me the fear. I would consider one as a replacement for the TF however they hold they're money a little too well.

VMax1000 26th June 2015 21:53

Hope I didn't use a Thank You in this thread. After the first few posts it became more of a slagging session.
Call it:
  • Banter
  • Tonque in cheek
  • Entertaining
  • Or even someones humour
The moment people feel it could be personal, all the above is lost.

Understanding written text vs. spoken words face-to-face is always open for misunderstandings.

Bit late for it now but but if an opinion is personal, make it clear and don't generalise it.
Helps to avoid a lot of these so called misunderstandings

marinabrian 26th June 2015 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonybubble (Post 2032457)
I suggest that if you want to make this personal, Brian, then perhaps it is better dealt with privately by PM.

The man with the basket case prototype and purveyor of free (but buckled) wheels.

Sorry Tony, I will now get my coat and feck off then :getmecoat:

AndyG 27th June 2015 12:06

Rover 75 V8 in Wales Re BMW Basher

RE. the car. Did you get any more details.

Can you get me (and PM to Me) the last 3 digits of the VIN?

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW Basher (Post 2029266)
Whilst visiting a body shop for a quote on my 75 saloon, I noticed in the car park a silver 54 plate V8 Tourer that's been parked up for a number of months apparently.

I made some enquiries about it, I'm told the owner parked it up last winter and not touched it since. It looks a bit sorry for it's self with some minor dents in the doors as you can see from the photos. The grill looks like it's been taped back on at the top.

I don't know too much about the V8's I assume they're all Connoisseur SE spec plus other options as standard- it's got full Smokestone leather, sunroof, satnav and the wheels normally found on the Contemporary. Anyway, I'm sure it could be saved.

(I've tried to upload some pics.....not too sure how successfully!)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-b...608_113502.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-R...608_113515.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-s...608_113527.jpg

This thread is to ascertain the details about this car NOT about V8s in general. :D

AndyG 27th June 2015 12:27

I am interested in buying this car :jig:

marinabrian 27th June 2015 13:18

VIN number is SARRXZTGJ5D000790 ;)

Vehicle Information

vin RXZTGJ5D000790
vin_sequence 790
off_assembly_date Monday, 8th November 2004 @ 11:57:06
model 75 Tourer
variant V8 Connoisseur SE
num_doors 5
paint_code MBB
brochure_model_desc C3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS
sales_model_derivative RXZTG
sales_model_derivative_desc Rover 75 4.6 V8 Connoisseur SE Tourer
home_export Home
country GREAT BRITAIN
exterior_paint Starlight Silver
interior_trim Leather (Black/Smoke Piping)
engine 4.6 V8 260ps
trimlevel Connoisseur SE
bodytype TOURER
manual_auto A
model_year MY2004
sold_date Unknown
General Information

This vehicle was the 25,896th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 7th 75 Tourer V8 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 10
This vehicle was the 3,759th 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers

2.2-600-vtec 27th June 2015 13:47

That is way to rare to just sit there and rot. Poor thing

Greeners 27th June 2015 13:57

Been out of MOT since March 2014

AndyG 27th June 2015 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2033146)
VIN number is SARRXZTGJ5D000790 ;)

Thank You...

Tim 27th June 2015 17:38

Be good if you could get it Andy, first reg to Rover by the looks of the data. 703 and 770 were registered together with 790.

marinabrian 27th June 2015 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyG (Post 2033177)
Thank You...

You're welcome ;)

BMW Basher 27th June 2015 20:59

Some funny stuff in this thread........I didn't anticipate that when I started it!

Anyways, I've been working away lately so not had tome to investigate further. I'm planning to go down to the site in the week.

Captain Crappycrimp 27th June 2015 22:09

I thought people from Newcastle didn't wear coats Brian?:pillow:

AGAs 28th June 2015 21:55

This thread illustrates precisely why the V8 owners who attend POL have a habit, every year, of acting like a wild west wagon train and literally 'circling the wagons'...all facing outwards in a circle to ward off potential pee-takers maybe. Well, it always makes me smile...:)

mmmgroveeer 29th June 2015 07:23

Be nice if someone who doesn't already have a V8 ended up with it if that is allowed :}:}

trikey 29th June 2015 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmgroveeer (Post 2034403)
Be nice if someone who doesn't already have a V8 ended up with it if that is allowed :}:}

Money talks :D

mmmgroveeer 29th June 2015 07:31

Possibly more who gets to the Seller first than who has the deepest pockets on this particular car.

2Diesels 29th June 2015 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2034406)
Money talks :D

Chicken squawks

Danger_MouseUK 3rd July 2015 15:29

..... so, the car then, any news???

AndyG 3rd July 2015 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danger_MouseUK (Post 2037968)
..... so, the car then, any news???

No, still no further info.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=219812

trikey 4th July 2015 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Diesels (Post 2034414)
Chicken squawks

Depends how hard you choke it :D