The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Valeting Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Smartening up roof bar blanks (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39507)

Raistlin 9th June 2009 18:33

Smartening up roof bar blanks

I've just noticed how grey the circular blanking plates which cover the roof bar mounting points are.

Probably because I've been having a play with my new roof bars ;)

Anyway, I thought I'd use "back to black" to smarten them up. All it did was make them a nice shiny...grey :(

Can anybody suggest a way (other than buying new ones) I can get them back to black please?

GreyGhost 9th June 2009 18:35

Spot of polish well rubbed in will bring them back for a few months. I do mine when Auto Glimming.

StevenWilliams 9th June 2009 18:43

I used back to black and a hard toothbrush. It gets right into the plastic that way and makes them dark again.

Just rubbing it on the surface is not enough.

Greeners 9th June 2009 19:15

warm gently with a hairdryer and wipe with a cloth

Raistlin 9th June 2009 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeners (Post 340300)

Really? That I will have to try :)

Greeners 9th June 2009 19:38

apparently as the oils in the plastic warm, it loosens the dirt.......i'm sure one of the detailers will elaborate.

Kandyman 9th June 2009 19:39

I have read about the hairdryer trick on the DW forums and they say it works.

empsburna 9th June 2009 21:18

Hairdryer/heatgun will restore them.

Otherwise peanut butter/oil works well too.

I use Sonus Bumper and Tyre dressing for textured plastic.

Scrub with all purpose cleaner, dab the dressing on, leave for a few minutes and buff off.

StevenWilliams 9th June 2009 21:25

I'll try the hotgun trick next time I do mine.

GrahamP 10th June 2009 00:37

May sound daft, but daughters Corsa plastic bits where faded to grey, Used a Kiwi Scuff Coat shoe restorer comes with foam pad on end. applied, left to dry and buffed with duster. Still black after 6 months.

Jack of hearts 11th June 2009 21:27

I used the hot gun on the metro's bumpers worked a treat!

Raistlin 12th July 2009 13:30

Quote:

I finally got round to trying this trick today.

I used my paint stripper hot air gun and just gently heated the plastic caps whilst holding them with a pair of pliars. They didn't even need wiping.

The black colour literally flooded across the surface :)

I'm truly amazed that something so simple can have such a dramiatic effect :)

Rover418275 6th August 2009 10:24

Would this work on the door posts ?

Greeners 7th August 2009 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover418275 (Post 366679)
Would this work on the door posts ?

The door pillars are plastic coated, so in theory yes, but I use autoglym paint restorer, to good effect

pab 8th August 2009 16:42

Quote:

will try that method,white spirit works for a month or so,as does brasso.only concern is getting them out without damage

Greeners 8th August 2009 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pab (Post 367732)
will try that method,white spirit works for a month or so,as does brasso.only concern is getting them out without damage

Don't take them off.....do it in situ....it's only warm/hot air.....you shouldn't let them get very very hot...and keep the heat source moving, don't apply it in one place

Raistlin 8th August 2009 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pab (Post 367732)

They pop out easily without being damaged.

Mine are in and out all the time to fit the roof bars :)

pab 8th August 2009 16:58

thanks for that..going to pop out and give them a blast with er indoors hairdryer

James.uk 8th August 2009 17:38

I just tried the hairdryer thing and -- zilch! nothing happened! :o I tried it on both car outside trims and nothing happened. tried roof rails ZX door handles, mirrors, door guards, bumper inserts, heat did nothing on any of them.. :shrug: :mad: *sobs* :(

mimbo 8th August 2009 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pab (Post 367738)
thanks for that..going to pop out and give them a blast with er indoors hairdryer

:D My neighbours will think I am going mad if I start using a hair dryer on car, they sick of seeing me polishing it as it is :getmecoat:

trebor 10th August 2009 16:36

did mine with white spirit yesterday came up a treat

Rover418275 10th August 2009 16:42

Has anyone tried meths, hick ?:beer2:

mimbo 12th August 2009 10:08

Mine are all a faded grey colour, and they can stay like it as I am not going to worry about it :drool4:

steffo 12th August 2009 13:29

Painted mine with quick drying matt black paint.

trebor 12th August 2009 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimbo (Post 369861)
Mine are all a faded grey colour, and they can stay like it as I am not going to worry about it :drool4:

the grey lifts straight off with white spirit if you are tempted

tony_fry 13th August 2009 10:16

Just used the hair dryer trick and it worked a treat, gone gtom light grey back the original black finish :lol:

black olive 6th September 2009 12:01

I was polishing my door handles with the brasso lint type polish.

tried giving a blank a rub with the lint and they have come up perfect, just a few rubs required.

doublekite 29th September 2009 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeners (Post 367199)
The door pillars are plastic coated, so in theory yes, but I use autoglym paint restorer, to good effect

Is this the door finishers which are held on with 3 screws behind the window channel rubber? I thought they are black painted.

Windslore 28th July 2015 20:49

Sorry guys but I must be missing something here. I bought some roof rails from the local breakers to fit on my recently acquired ZT T and they are metal not plastic. I took the centre pillar off to give them a good clean and it's bolted on the the bar, you can see the shiny thread in the aluminium of the bars? Mine have certainly gone very grey and do look past there best but they are definitely metal, they even 'ring' when tapped! You can also see where the sprayer missed sections under the areas that fasten to the roof.

Help gratefully appreciated.

Dorset Bob 28th July 2015 21:31

They are talking about the plastic plugs that discolour, fitted over the holes for the roof rack mounting points. ;)

Windslore 28th July 2015 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2057839)
They are talking about the plastic plugs that discolour, fitted over the holes for the roof rack mounting points. ;)

Thanks Bob, I thought I must be missing something!
Should the bars be black or grey? Have mine just faded?

suzublu 28th July 2015 22:04

Great thread revival :D 6 years old;) This is how I overcame the problem http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/...psufbt3lsq.jpg

Bluejon 28th July 2015 22:28

Hi Ronnie,

What is the width of the chrome strip you used,cheers Mate.

John.

suzublu 28th July 2015 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluejon (Post 2057885)
Hi Ronnie,

What is the width of the chrome strip you used,cheers Mate.

John.

25mm If I remember John:cool: you can do a quick measure just to make sure;) Not copying again are we:p::D:D

spyder 28th July 2015 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2057839)

Are these round on the saloon?

Bluejon 28th July 2015 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2057886)
25mm If I remember John:cool: you can do a quick measure just to make sure;) Not copying again are we:p::D:D

ME! would I do that to you mate lol,haven't got over Holker yet,anyhow,will look better on dark blue:bowdown::getmecoat:

Dorset Bob 29th July 2015 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windslore (Post 2057857)
Thanks Bob, I thought I must be missing something!
Should the bars be black or grey? Have mine just faded?

I don't know, as I don't have any roof bars, but would imagine that they should be black. :shrug:

The plastic plugs are black but turn grey after time.
Looking at the age of this thread, any fixes would have gone grey by now. :D
A bit like my hair, really. ;):getmecoat:

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder (Post 2057888)
Are these round on the saloon?

Yes they are, they look like this.

Windslore 29th July 2015 18:59

Done some research and the bars are listed as black but really a dark grey, unlike my hair too - light grey!

spyder 29th July 2015 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2058602)
I don't know, as I don't have any roof bars, but would imagine that they should be black. :shrug:

The plastic plugs are black but turn grey after time.
Looking at the age of this thread, any fixes would have gone grey by now. :D
A bit like my hair, really. ;):getmecoat:

Yes they are, they look like this.

Maybe I'll try making some multi coloured ones on the 3D printer. It would be interesting though to see if modern ABS stays black for longer.

I'll try making a few and see.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:303615

FLYING BANANA 30th July 2015 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2057870)
Great thread revival :D 6 years old;) This is how I overcame the problem http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/...psufbt3lsq.jpg

Like Ronnie I covered the whole strip in Black Carbon Wrap. Also done the door plates. Been on the car over 2 years and are still looking good. Will post up pictures later I required.

Fred7A 16th August 2015 23:53

I'll have to try that hairdryer trick on my scuttle plugs - they've discoloured really badly.

gazcon 18th August 2015 16:11

Don't have a heatgun so borrowed the Mrs' hairdryer...

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/...psa9xhmrth.jpg

Before and after :) Works well!

Only gave it a go out of curiosity, now I'll have to do the other three :duh:

The Rovering Member 18th August 2015 20:59

Nice. I'll have to do that too even though I've got some roofbars on the way (which won't be permanently fitted though).

Yella Fella 19th August 2015 07:02

Whats all the fuss about with hair dryers, wrapping etc :shrug:

A spray with matt black paint will do the trick. A five minute job, cheap and will last for years.