The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fitting a new maf sensor & PCV filter (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=108032)

trojan 27th April 2012 07:16

Hi Artic, many thanks for the how to maf and pcv. Having just purchased my 2004 cdt automatic and being totally unfamiliar with the engine followed your advice. My pvc has no filter, just a plastic baffle, is this a 'new' type of pcv v/v? Still having accelleration problems - put foot down to overtake, takes 1-2 seconds before accelleration and even then very slow in comparison to my Rover 618 auto. Have cleaned maf, erg, new air filter, oil change, pcv. Any advice appreciated.

HarryM1BYT 27th April 2012 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojan (Post 988587)
Hi Artic, many thanks for the how to maf and pcv. Having just purchased my 2004 cdt automatic and being totally unfamiliar with the engine followed your advice. My pvc has no filter, just a plastic baffle, is this a 'new' type of pcv v/v? Still having accelleration problems - put foot down to overtake, takes 1-2 seconds before accelleration and even then very slow in comparison to my Rover 618 auto. Have cleaned maf, erg, new air filter, oil change, pcv. Any advice appreciated.

It is not a filter as such, it is just a mesh - there to stop larger bits hitting the delicate MAF sensor.

You can check the MAF operation simply by unplugging it - if it improves with it unplugged, then your MAF is faulty. Also worth doing your intercooler O rings, fitting the Viton ones.

Arctic 27th April 2012 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojan (Post 988587)

Hi Ray.
You may have the none filter PCV housing this you would need to check if not yours maybe missing as it should be a cage with a blue filter round it as in pic below.
http://i46.tinypic.com/8yasye.jpg

Also check and change the O-rings as stated link is here
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=81279

I was having the same problem as you in the end it was misfiring and even when travelling at 70mph it would sort of hold back slow down then surge forward i changed the maf and car is great again more pick up more MPG you can get a genuine MAF from eurocarparts using the clubs 25% discount and the toytal cost was £157 but make sure its the genuine Bosch

On my box it had as below
Bosch
1 ST/Pc
0 928 400 520

434 75 0400
BIN :VC0821
0928 400 520 22/09/11 808877
Air Mass Sensor Rover 75

I picked this up from local Eurocarparts or you can purchase on line make sure you use the 25% discount if you decide you need one which i think you find you will as stated also unplug the maf and see if it drivers better, cheers Arctic

trojan 5th May 2012 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 988595)
It is not a filter as such, it is just a mesh - there to stop larger bits hitting the delicate MAF sensor.

You can check the MAF operation simply by unplugging it - if it improves with it unplugged, then your MAF is faulty. Also worth doing your intercooler O rings, fitting the Viton ones.

Thanks for the info Harry, still a little unsure about the PCV as mine only seems to have a tall plastic baffle arrangement in the left hand chamber definitely no mesh or filter to be seen :shrug:. Wish I had taken a photo of the stripped assembly now :(.

Did the MAF check, there was no appreciable difference.

Frank Incensed 5th May 2012 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojan (Post 996570)
Thanks for the info Harry, still a little unsure about the PCV as mine only seems to have a tall plastic baffle arrangement in the left hand chamber definitely no mesh or filter to be seen :shrug:. Wish I had taken a photo of the stripped assembly now :(.

Did the MAF check, there was no appreciable difference.

Yes. The new BMW part is as you have described. I replaced the filter type one about 18 months ago, just after I got the car. Peace of mind, 'cos at 69,000 miles (10,00 before I bought the car) the original owner had suffered a clogged PCV and a consequent massive discharge of engine oil through the dipstick hole.

trojan 5th May 2012 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 988665)
Hi Ray.
You may have the none filter PCV housing this you would need to check if not yours maybe missing as it should be a cage with a blue filter round it as in pic below.
http://i46.tinypic.com/8yasye.jpg

Also check and change the O-rings as stated link is here
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=81279

I was having the same problem as you in the end it was misfiring and even when travelling at 70mph it would sort of hold back slow down then surge forward i changed the maf and car is great again more pick up more MPG you can get a genuine MAF from eurocarparts using the clubs 25% discount and the toytal cost was £157 but make sure its the genuine Bosch

On my box it had as below
Bosch
1 ST/Pc
0 928 400 520

434 75 0400
BIN :VC0821
0928 400 520 22/09/11 808877
Air Mass Sensor Rover 75

I picked this up from local Eurocarparts or you can purchase on line make sure you use the 25% discount if you decide you need one which i think you find you will as stated also unplug the maf and see if it drivers better, cheers Arctic

Many thanks for the info Artic and the descriptive photo detail :), apologies for delay in getting back to you but didn't realise you had responded until now, definately no filter as I said to Harry, will check this out further.
Re link thank you, this is now in my R 75 folder and is on my 'immediate' to do list, parts ordered from Rimmers.
No problems with Maf sensor,(have recently contacted Jules for Maf), managed to get the car on a diagnostic, ( Delphi 150E), engine and autobox fully clear with no fault :). All historic faults cleared, car ran a little better but not perfect.
Checked autobox fluid - black and smelly- ordered from Rimmers and changed yesterday, again a small improvement.
Buttttttt disaster !! decided to check out the throttle connector - just wiggled the top connector, couldn't get it separated so left it - when I went to start the car the accelerator wouldn't work, just engine idle at 700 rpm and engine warning light !!!!! big panic !!!! :shrug:.
To cut a long story short I eventually removed the accelerator pedal assembly stripped off the small side cover,checked the circuitry and found no continuity on 3 junctions so soldered the 6 small wires to the connector pins. Put the assembly back, started engine - no fault light so went for a test drive and guess what:D hey presto, acceleration now as smooth as silk with great thrust- like a new car !!!!! :):):):):).
The soldering is only a temporary fix and the car is now laid up until my new replacement comes next Thursday.
I really could not believe how flimsy the design was - those six wires that bridge the resistor board to the connector socket are only a spring loaded connection !!!!!!

AGAIN I REPEAT TO ALL CLUB MEMBERS- DO NOT DRIVE CAR WITH THIS TEMPORARY FIX AS THERE IS SERIOUS LIFE ENDANGERMENT !!!!!

trojan 5th May 2012 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Incensed (Post 996628)
Yes. The new BMW part is as you have described. I replaced the filter type one about 18 months ago, just after I got the car. Peace of mind, 'cos at 69,000 miles (10,00 before I bought the car) the original owner had suffered a clogged PCV and a consequent massive discharge of engine oil through the dipstick hole.

Many thanks for the info - now I can rest easy :)- that's 1 unknown solved, better try and tackle another !!!! categorically there is no gauze or filter in the new BMW PCV v/v.

Regards Ray

Frank Incensed 5th May 2012 22:58

Crossed Wires

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojan (Post 996659)
..........definately no filter as I said to Harry, will check this out further.

I'm afraid Arctic's words are misleading.
Arctic's picture is of the filter that goes in the ORIGINAL type of PCV. The latest ones DO NOT have a filter, simply 2 chambers, as you have described yours.
Hope this helps.

Arctic 5th May 2012 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Incensed (Post 996693)
I'm afraid Arctic's words are misleading.
Arctic's picture is of the filter that goes in the ORIGINAL type of PCV. The latest ones DO NOT have a filter, simply 2 chambers, as you have described yours.
Hope this helps.

:shrug: did i not say this
(Hi Ray.
You may have the none filter PCV housing. This you would need to check if not yours maybe missing as it should be a cage with a blue filter round it as in pic below.) emphasis on check to make sure its the filterless one and that the filter is just not missing ;)

Frank Incensed 6th May 2012 05:49

Agreed and Apologies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 996732)
:shrug: did i not say this
(Hi Ray.
You may have the none filter PCV housing. This you would need to check if not yours maybe missing as it should be a cage with a blue filter round it as in pic below.) emphasis on check to make sure its the filterless one and that the filter is just not missing ;)

:iagree:
Sorry Arctic & Ray. 'Twas me who misread your reply Arctic:o and 'tis also better to be safe than sorry.

There's a pic of the later type in this thread, if it's any help. BMW part number is B11.12.7.799.224

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=35107