The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Handbrake bad design? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=279351)

hogweed 13th February 2018 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2595435)
Take a look at my How To link below.

Thanks Harry, great stuff, but all been done already. Compensator fitted by Arctic; new shoes and drums (and cables I think); shoes degreased; backplates etc OK… I guess I’ll just have to keep on driving with it on, and hope it gets better…

HarryM1BYT 13th February 2018 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxi_crawf (Post 2595441)
'slop' never heard it described as that before, I always think of the car 'sitting down' after applying the handbrake.

Call it by what ever name you feel fits - With a rear wheel raised and handbrake fully applied, the wheel can easily be turned by a few degrees back and forth, before it hits solid. All vehicles will 'sit down', especially on a slope - if you come to a stop with the foot brake still applied, then apply the handbrake, then release the footbrake. That is the suspension wound up and locked by the brakes. The faster the stop, the greater the suspension is wound up.

The 75's special trick is to actually be able to roll a short distance, after the handbrake is applied.

topman 13th February 2018 19:15

I wonder how far, if you measured it, the car would move? I suspect that it looks like it moves more than it actually does.

Heddy 13th February 2018 20:23

Hogweeed, I feel the same. Despite all the faffing and setting up, the handbrake is far from perfect. It requires a hard 'pull on' for steep hills. I often wonder if the friction material is too hard, it feels that way. If I have washed the car, and hosed the wheels, the handbrake is amazing.....till it dries out. :shrug:

T-Cut 13th February 2018 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 2595460)
I wonder how far, if you measured it, the car would move?

A couple of inches I'd say.
So to answer the op question, yes IMO, they're a bad design.

TC

topman 13th February 2018 21:08

It'd be interesting to see how far it does move.

Richcl 13th February 2018 21:11

It's good to know others get this movement after the handbrake is applied, as I thought it was just my car.

Sounds like it's normal for the car to move slightly.

MissMoppet 13th February 2018 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2595375)
Was it a Citroen, with handbrake applied to the front discs? Can't rem the model, but if you were braking hard before application of the parking brake, as you say the discs cooled , shrunk just enough to allow the weight of the car to overcome the friction.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The GS Pallas. Lovely car. Nice square flat-floor boot, most unusual. Drove as if you were on rails. Most comfortable car I've ever had.

hogweed 13th February 2018 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 2595460)
I wonder how far, if you measured it, the car would move?

In my case, to the bottom of the hill :duh::duh::duh:

hogweed 13th February 2018 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heddy (Post 2595495)
I often wonder if the friction material is too hard, it feels that way. If I have washed the car, and hosed the wheels, the handbrake is amazing.....till it dries out. :shrug:

Ha ha yes, when I was very young, I was a member of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland, and we messed about with steam engines... a lot of them had little sandboxes at the front, to dispense sand onto the tracks to get a bit of traction when there was "the wrong kind of snow".

Maybe we need something like that to dribble a little sand onto the Rover's brake drums...