The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   NVH - curing the boom (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=78)

Rincewind 6th November 2006 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by anglaslt (Post 2247)
If I remember correctly, someone was toying with the idea of changing their ZT 260 suspension to 75 V8 suspension to make it softer. It would mean, among other changes, taking out the diff dampers which (in Nic's opinion and I'm sure he's right) would result in axle tramp.
Tom

Correct Mr Tom, taking the diff dampers off the manual version will probably introduce axle tramp back into the "fold". For those that don't know what tramp is a simple explanantion would be when the rear tyres break traction, the axles try to "walk" the car forward by gaining grip on one side then the other and so one as the diff "tilts" so to speak (Morris Minors were very good at it apparently!). The diff dampers keep the diff tethered down for example and stop it from happening.

The autos didn't need them as the transmission loads are different.

NVH wise, Tom is correct again, the boom in the rear of the car was very nasty at about 30 mph in the Autos so we added the middle silencer. The manuals rarely got a boom from standard rear boxes as we "took it out" but the X Power boxes put it back again from about 50 mph onwards and it was very obvious from 70mph.

The NVH wasn't mucked about with in the 260's if anything we put extra in around the drivetrain but other frequencies etc may cause the odd pocket depending on gear, road speed and so on.

Nic

Keith 6th November 2006 13:24

Throughout this thread I have been trying to pretend I know what NVH stands for but I give up

Someone put me out of my misery please :)

Rincewind 6th November 2006 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 2550)
Throughout this thread I have been trying to pretend I know what NVH stands for but I give up

Someone put me out of my misery please :)

Ahhh, bless......

NVH stands for:

Noise
Vibration and
Harshness

It's the people that spend their lives tuning the cars from the air intake system, exhaust, interior and exterior noise properties of the car. They listen to everything identifying noises that make the car oqnership experince a lot nicer that it would be if they didn't do their job.

It's everthing from wind-noise, to door seals, to drive train and so on. It's a huge area and immensly subjective. I enjoyed getting involved with NVH development, however, it does make you hypercritical to vehicle noise and I hear things that most people wouldn't notice and I hate it sometimes!

Keith 6th November 2006 13:42

Thank you kind sir I am much the wiser now

You are right I still have not got swmbo trained to detect that oh so familiar alarm bell sound to you and me of for example a door not quite latched or a window a few mm from being fully closed

Perhaps it is a bloke thing!

Kandyman 6th November 2006 13:53

Just turn the radio up thats what i do to over come NVH :laughing2:
We should adopt plane English on this site so everyone and Kieth knows what people are talking about ;)

Rincewind 6th November 2006 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandyman (Post 2570)
We should adopt plane English on this site so everyone and Kieth knows what people are talking about ;)

I shall endeavour to speako-der-lingo for people and not get bogged down in abbreviations etc. Therefore if I start doing it, just let me know and I'll go and stick my head in a bucket of water for 10 minutes!

Keith 6th November 2006 14:04

So is that the plain english way of spolling Keith then?

:D

Keith 6th November 2006 14:11

No don't worry Nic if people don't know they can always ask
Life would not be fun without initialism

Initialism originally referred to abbreviations formed from initials, without reference to pronunciation, but during the middle portion of the twentieth century, when they saw more use than ever before, the word acronym was coined for abbreviations which are pronounced as a word, like nato

Thinks! we need a glossary thread thingy

Kandyman 6th November 2006 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rincewind (Post 2573)
I shall endeavour to speako-der-lingo for people and not get bogged down in abbreviations etc. Therefore if I start doing it, just let me know and I'll go and stick my head in a bucket of water for 10 minutes!

TYVM Rincewind

Thank You Very Much :)

Rincewind 6th November 2006 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandyman (Post 2577)
TYVM Rincewind

Thank You Very Much :)

TYVM for utilising the Queens English or for putting my head in a bucket of water ;) ?