The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Yet another problem...Battery light (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303023)

COLVERT 21st February 2020 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yannage (Post 2794471)
Upon pulling into the garage....all lights came on and car promptly died :D

guess we will see what garage says...

Charge battery for a minimum of 24 hours.----;)

RAY OF THE ROVERS 22nd February 2020 09:32

You can change the brushes and regulator quite easily with care and patience with the alternator on the car, l did mine a couple of years ago. But now l am on with fitting a new alternator, not an easy job, l am feeling my age now and wish l had taken it to the garage and paid someone to do it.

COLVERT 22nd February 2020 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAY OF THE ROVERS (Post 2794667)
You can change the brushes and regulator quite easily with care and patience with the alternator on the car, l did mine a couple of years ago. But now l am on with fitting a new alternator, not an easy job, l am feeling my age now and wish l had taken it to the garage and paid someone to do it.

Are you going to fit it from the top or from underneath young man ?

RAY OF THE ROVERS 22nd February 2020 11:06

I am doing it from the top. I have fitted the new alternator and l am about to fit the power steering pump the refit the engine mount, if l can get that done today l will be happy. It doesn't help with the inclement weather and having to have the garage door open for light.

COLVERT 23rd February 2020 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAY OF THE ROVERS (Post 2794691)
I am doing it from the top. I have fitted the new alternator and l am about to fit the power steering pump the refit the engine mount, if l can get that done today l will be happy. It doesn't help with the inclement weather and having to have the garage door open for light.

Please keep us posted on your progress. If it all goes well it will give some of the older folk on the forum confidence to tackle this job themselves rather than paying a lot of money to get a garage to do it.---:bowdown:

DMGRS 24th February 2020 10:14

We have a wealth of parts here to keep your old alternator going:
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...-and-yle102500

Usually you can get away with just the brush pack / regulator (usual cause is worn brushes or diode failure, both of which are part of the regulator) but occasionally the slip rings also need changing. :)

It's a very common issue on the diesels - exacerbated by oil being dripped on the alternator when changing the oil filter.
Always cover the alternator with a rag before removing the filter. :)

RAY OF THE ROVERS 24th February 2020 15:20

Yannage, definitely try changing the brushes and regulator first, only £30 ish + 1 hour or so of work. The alternator change at a garage will cost you dear. Colvert, l would not recommend anyone over 65 doing this job, l am 68 and l struggled. Unless you have a nice warm garage with lighting and a kettle. The problem with age is we loose confidence as well as strength and each job can be a major task, full of apprehension. It took me 4 days of scrambling under the car, grazing my knuckles and lots of swearing but l did get there in the end, and saved a lot of money l didnt have. But good luck to anyone doing this, and if you are youngish then please pay no attention to my ramblings.

COLVERT 24th February 2020 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAY OF THE ROVERS (Post 2795153)
Yannage, definitely try changing the brushes and regulator first, only £30 ish + 1 hour or so of work. The alternator change at a garage will cost you dear. Colvert, l would not recommend anyone over 65 doing this job, l am 68 and l struggled. Unless you have a nice warm garage with lighting and a kettle. The problem with age is we loose confidence as well as strength and each job can be a major task, full of apprehension. It took me 4 days of scrambling under the car, grazing my knuckles and lots of swearing but l did get there in the end, and saved a lot of money l didnt have. But good luck to anyone doing this, and if you are youngish then please pay no attention to my ramblings.

Thanks Ray for your post.---I am sort of youngish, 83 this year.--:D:D:D

PS. Just fitted a lower front suspension arm and two new rear discs for the MOT.---:eek:

COLVERT 26th February 2020 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2795221)
Thanks Ray for your post.---I am sort of youngish, 83 this year.--:D:D:D

PS. Just fitted a lower front suspension arm and two new rear discs for the MOT.---:eek:

Passed the dreaded MOT today.------:party:

Atlan 27th February 2020 11:16

[QUOTE=DMGRS;2795103]We have a wealth of parts here to keep your old alternator going:
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...-and-yle102500

usual cause is worn brushes or diode failure, both of which are part of the regulator

Was under the impression the the diodes were part of the rectifier in an alternator.