The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   oil change - hot or not? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9963)

Gman2 26th September 2007 19:44

Funny you say that. I put the car up on ramps yesterday and saw that the filter was accessable without taking the undertray off - it was just above the rear lip. Have I missed something and the undertray does have to come off.....?

Phil 26th September 2007 20:01

I don't think the 1.8t has the undertray, mine doesn't.

Gman2 26th September 2007 20:19

Yup - mine has but it is quite short. From what I understand from this forum the V6's undertray is larger and presents more problems for the DIY mechanic.

ColinB 26th September 2007 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman2 (Post 88461)
Yup - mine has but it is quite short. From what I understand from this forum the V6's undertray is larger and presents more problems for the DIY mechanic.

The 1.8T undertray is short (aren't we lucky!) but only takes a minute to remove and lets you have a good look around while you do your service.

Phil 26th September 2007 20:36

Mine has a kind of splash guard but not a full on undertray. I change my oil without removing anything.

Gman2 26th September 2007 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinB (Post 88468)
The 1.8T undertray is short (aren't we lucky!) but only takes a minute to remove and lets you have a good look around while you do your service.

Hmmm - I'm afraid what I may find........:eek:

MGOracle 27th September 2007 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by amableson (Post 88368)
Give it a good blast to stir things up and get it hot and then take the oil out as quickly as possible, keep yourself out the way and wear welding gloves.:lol:

I WOULD NOT do this!

So what? You cane your car to get the oil temp up to 90-100 degrees C then you stop and immediately drain it.

Tell me, whats going to stop all the metal components from warping as they start to cool so drastically?

Leave it at lest 10 minutes before draining.

GreyGhost 27th September 2007 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGOracle (Post 88650)
I WOULD NOT do this!

So what? You cane your car to get the oil temp up to 90-100 degrees C then you stop and immediately drain it.

Tell me, whats going to stop all the metal components from warping as they start to cool so drastically?

Leave it at lest 10 minutes before draining.

Just a thought MG
If I were to attempt an oil change it would take the best part of half an hour if not more to jack the car up set it on stands then remove the under tray.
Immediate emptying after a run is just not an option. :)

colin32 27th September 2007 18:01

On the same subject, I intend to pump the oil out with a pela pump - would the hot oil damage the pump.

stevemull 27th September 2007 18:11

not sure about damaging the pump, but i would put money on it not draining all the oil and crud in the sump