The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine Fan (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300475)

vitesse 3rd November 2019 10:44

Steve, not need to cut the cowling to remove the fan which you probably already know but not the OP. Did a replacement fan job yesterday so it's fresh in my memory. With the waist 8mm bolts removed and the clips under the cowling, there's enough play to slip the cowling off the top pins and pivot the righthand (facing it) side of the cowling outwards. You can then access the three usually stubborn torx screws. Done about eight in this fashion, only cut the cowling the first time.

Only 2.5 hours, I thought our time yesterday (me & the owner) of just over 3 hours qualified for Mr. Guiness' book and that was with no snags.

Regard,

Mike

Shaker 3rd November 2019 12:13

Morning all and a big thanks to all who replied I helped. I've got the control unit out, without cuting anything there were no torx screws either!
It was a sticking relay as soon as I prised it out the contact freed so I connected the battery and the fan stayed off.��
However the contacts are burnt so I'm cleaning them with a bit of 2000 grit paper to get me over this week, so the question is where can I get a new relay/s from. I can't use the parts car as that's a diesel, thanks again.

vitesse 3rd November 2019 12:42

And thanks for the update, all too many forget to come back with the answer to their problems.

The stubborn torx screws hold the fan in place, obviously you didn't need to touch these.

I've got several relay boxes surplus to needs, and you're welcome to any relays FOC but would hope that someone more local can assist. Otherwise PM me.

Regards

SD1too 3rd November 2019 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaker (Post 2773046)
... where can I get a new relay/s from. I can't use the parts car as that's a diesel ...

Yes you can Steve. Open the diesel control box, remove a relay of the same physical size and fit it to the car you're working on.
It's only the whole control box assembly which cannot be exchanged between petrol and diesel cars. The relays are common.

Or take up Mike's kind offer. :D

Simon

Shaker 3rd November 2019 13:28

thanks Mike, Simon. I've just put it al back together and the fan is staying off. Based on that its now going to be next weekend, assuming it doesn't rain, before I can attack the diesel parts car. So thanks Mike I'll try that route first.

Arctic 4th November 2019 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2773022)
Steve, not need to cut the cowling to remove the fan which you probably already know but not the OP. Did a replacement fan job yesterday so it's fresh in my memory. With the waist 8mm bolts removed and the clips under the cowling, there's enough play to slip the cowling off the top pins and pivot the righthand (facing it) side of the cowling outwards. You can then access the three usually stubborn torx screws. Done about eight in this fashion, only cut the cowling the first time.

Only 2.5 hours, I thought our time yesterday (me & the owner) of just over 3 hours qualified for Mr. Guiness' book and that was with no snags.

Regard,

Mike

Hi Mike.
I worked along side Stocktake at one of our meet a few years back and if my memory serves me right we did a complete fan change with car put back together in 1hr 50minutes which was our best time to date, I have a V6 fan to sort out in weeks time or so I will see how long it takes. ;)

vitesse 4th November 2019 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2773245)
Hi Mike.
I worked along side Stocktake at one of our meet a few years back and if my memory serves me right we did a complete fan change with car put back together in 1hr 50minutes which was our best time to date, I have a V6 fan to sort out in weeks time or so I will see how long it takes. ;)

Remarkably swift time by the dynamic duo :bowdown: - will be doing another one myself mid Nov but don’t expect to better my time as this latest one was relatively snag free.

Mike

Arctic 12th November 2019 11:39

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2773283)
Remarkably swift time by the dynamic duo :bowdown: - will be doing another one myself mid Nov but don’t expect to better my time as this latest one was relatively snag free.

Mike

Hi Mike.
Fitted a two wire 2speed to a launch car today 2 hours including a new Shannon tube well chuffed with the time mind you all the nuts & bolts cam unless lovely was quite surprised, really nice car too white connie owned by Mason.

He did have a bit of luck with him though the other day as he drove through some flood water and the engine cut out, he got himself towed out with out trying to start the car, because the Shannon tube which was original was like a birds nest if sucked the water up into the air filter but did not Hydrolock the engine very lucky, as above new Shannon tube now onboard ;)

vitesse 12th November 2019 15:31

Steve,

Got another fan job quite soon but no way I’m going to beat your two hour job unless God decides to give me back some youth while retaining the experience I now have.

Lucky owner. Heard from Dave that my latest batch of VIS motors might be delayed, something about flood water and his shed and el.power - thought if anyone he would have gas lamps.

Mike

stocktake 12th November 2019 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2775228)
Steve,

Heard from Dave that my latest batch of VIS motors might be delayed, something about flood water and his shed and el.power - thought if anyone he would have gas lamps.

Mike

Not managed to work out the gas or coal fired lathe yet Mike :D

Power has been restored I just dare not touch anything unless I have my wellies on :D :D