The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Thinking of taking the 75 to the Continent (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294152)

Mike Noc 22nd March 2019 06:59

With the exception of the RAC, all other European breakdown cover I have come across (and I have looked at a few) will only repatriate your car up to its value.

If you are happy with a cash payment and leaving the car to be scrapped if the worst comes to the worst then fine, but if not use the RAC. :}

BoroRover 22nd March 2019 07:01

Jasper has carried me to Germany and back twice. He's a 1.8 but he loves the autobahns and very good roads the continent has.
Breakdown cover, is an absolute must, any car can break down, but the better looked after cars much less than one ignored.
I carry spare auxiliary belts, and a few other spares, thermostat, bulbs, etc.
As I see it, £20 or so on spare belts saves £100's of pounds of frustration.

bl52krz 22nd March 2019 19:39

Go for it. I have been going to the continent for around 35 years this year. We have driven down through France into Italy, the other side of Naples as far as Agropoli. Non of the cars I have been in have had any problems. Going to Germany later, along with the trip with the club across to Holland in September, so if you always keep on top of anything that wants doing to it, you should have no trouble at all. Good luck.

SCP440 22nd March 2019 20:12

We did Lake Garda last year in my 260 ZTT. As has been said RAC cover and you are good to go.

Well worth getting the transponder for the French Motorways to save stopping at every toll.

I enjoy driving in Europe, the roads are less busy and the speed limits in some places are higher.

P-Nut 22nd March 2019 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2721185)
We did Lake Garda last year in my 260 ZTT. As has been said RAC cover and you are good to go.

Well worth getting the transponder for the French Motorways to save stopping at every toll.

I enjoy driving in Europe, the roads are less busy and the speed limits in some places are higher.

Driving last year across Europe was an absolutely pleasure (apart from Italy), probably because it's so NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- expensive but it was great. Got back to the UK and hated the chaos, once you learn the French system of "get the F*** out the way if someones faster than you" it's so nice, in the UK there's too much ego and c*ck waving and generally people doing stuff they shouldn't be.

sjr 23rd March 2019 06:44

I will be towing my caravan to Croatia with my 75 V8 in the summer. If a car is well maintained then I will take it anywhere.

SJR

macafee2 23rd March 2019 07:00

Ask yourself, would I drive this sort of mileage in the uk with out worry?

I know exactly the worry, no idea why we worry about doing mileage abroad when we do the mileage and more in the UK.
Is it that bit of water in between, is it a language issue, is it the difficulty of getting home?

Your car has not done a lot of miles and if it is going ok then by all means take it and enjoy it.

macafee2

SCP440 23rd March 2019 07:14

I take my Jensen abroad most years and have always enjoyed it.

2 years ago we went as far as Dresden, it was about 1000 miles each way. We met up with 75 fellow Jensen owners and only 2 cars played up, one with a leaky gearbox and another with a faulty carb.

All got home under there own steam.

T16 23rd March 2019 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjr (Post 2721238)
I will be towing my caravan to Croatia with my 75 V8 in the summer. If a car is well maintained then I will take it anywhere.

SJR

Fuel bill must be interesting.

Discofan 23rd March 2019 08:37

Had my Discovery 2 over to france for 4 years in a row towing our twin axle caravan.

1st year the rear silencer broke off the exhaust - 3 miles from home after a 2000 mile trip! :bowdown:

Next 2 years uneventful. :D

4th year I was aware I was having engine oil polluted with diesel with the oil level rising. A common problem with the Td5, normally down to failed injecrtor seals. Changed them before the trip and assumed all would be well, nope, mine was the less common problem with a cracked cylinder head. Car still ran fine, just had to give it 2 oil changes while away and a recon cylinder head when we got back :duh:

Heading over again this summer, but this time in a much neweer Freelander 2, fingers crossed will be trouble free!