The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Brake pipe MOT failure. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314914)

VVC-Geeza 25th August 2021 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 2897222)
It is quite common with older cars for the pipes to go whilst on the rollers. The steel pipe on my coupe didn’t even look that corroded and if it could of been seen wouldn’t of even been an advise but it was within a mounting clip

Well that's good enough confirmation for me that what they said happened is correct.I wonder if it is about to become a regular issue with the 75/ZT due to age.

sworks 25th August 2021 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza (Post 2897225)
I wonder if it is about to become a regular issue with the 75/ZT due to age.

Ive seen this already

Mike Noc 25th August 2021 22:31

Not too difficult a job to replace the brake pipes. I've done all of mine with a Sykes Pickavant flaring tool and Kunifer pipe.

VVC-Geeza 25th August 2021 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2897240)
Not too difficult a job to replace the brake pipes. I've done all of mine with a Sykes Pickavant flaring tool and Kunifer pipe.

Sounds like a prudent exercise if, as seems, they are prone to randomly letting go under hard braking as they age.

TourerSteve 26th August 2021 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza (Post 2897242)
Sounds like a prudent exercise if, as seems, they are prone to randomly letting go under hard braking as they age.

If going down that road why not change your flexi hoses as well

As a project on my Rover 45 I am in the middle of a suspension bush overhaul and am changing out the flexi hoses while stripped down . Amazingly my metal brake pipes have still the original green coating on and have all undone, but have been treated all the time I have owned the car which again is dry stored
It was only a couple of months ago we replaced the rear brake pipes on one of the rover 75's and as sworks quoted the pipes corrode within the clips
As Mike Noc said with good quality tools brake pipes not difficult to change

VVC-Geeza 26th August 2021 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TourerSteve (Post 2897261)
If going down that road why not change your flexi hoses as well

The Flexi hoses on my coupe have already been changed to the braided type so I have confidence in them.

bl52krz 26th August 2021 11:02

I think you should be grateful it went when it did. I have had two experiences of brake pipes going pop. One on my Austin Westminster A90, the other on a 10 ton lorry. I can tell you I was stuck to the seat when the one went on the lorry at a busy junction. Went straight across Lichfield Road From Victoria Road Aston Birmingham with no brakes without hitting anything because there was a gap in traffic. Anyone who knows this junction will know how I felt. Managed to nearly rip the gearbox out of it changing down to slow me down with 600 dozen milk bottles on the back of it. Phew. Just thought I would add that this happened around 1965/8.The junction has changed since then. You arrive at an island now not a cross roads.

edwardmk 26th August 2021 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2897290)
I think you should be grateful it went when it did. I have had two experiences of brake pipes going pop. One on my Austin Westminster A90, the other on a 10 ton lorry. I can tell you I was stuck to the seat when the one went on the lorry at a busy junction. Went straight across Lichfield Road From Victoria Road Aston Birmingham with no brakes without hitting anything because there was a gap in traffic. Anyone who knows this junction will know how I felt. Managed to nearly rip the gearbox out of it changing down to slow me down with 600 dozen milk bottles on the back of it. Phew.

Glad you're OK. I had the same 'brown trouser' moment many moons ago going north taking the slip road after the old Forth Road bridge to Kirkaldy. My other half was chatting happily when I realised I was doing a good 70 halfway down the hill towards the island with little happening with brakes (on a 'bargain' XJ6 I had just bought in Edinburgh). Being an automatic didn't help. Handbrake pulled almost out of the mounting got us down to 40ish at the bottom when miraculously a gap appeared just when I really needed one. A lot of honking but we got away with it. My wife asked (somewhat jmpolitely) what the * I was doing.:eek: Back at the garage they were disbelieving since the brakes seemed fine. Went in and out a few times and they finally replaced the servo under warranty, but a similar incident a few days later and back she went. Long story short, they finally replaced the vacuum hose to the servo and the issue was resolved. Theory was the inner lining of the hose was collapsing and depriving the servo of vacuum intermittently.

VVC-Geeza 26th August 2021 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2897290)
I think you should be grateful it went when it did. I have had two experiences of brake pipes going pop. One on my Austin Westminster A90, the other on a 10 ton lorry. I can tell you I was stuck to the seat when the one went on the lorry at a busy junction. Went straight across Lichfield Road From Victoria Road Aston Birmingham with no brakes without hitting anything because there was a gap in traffic. Anyone who knows this junction will know how I felt. Managed to nearly rip the gearbox out of it changing down to slow me down with 600 dozen milk bottles on the back of it. Phew.

I am now grateful it happened on the rollers David and slightly ashamed and :o that I questioned in my own mind what they told me had occured,and that they see it a lot.They did say much better to let go on the rollers that at 70mph.It was just that I had never heard of this happening while a car was on test.I should have been more trusting as this has been my regular MOT garage for some years.Seems to be quite common judging by the comments on here and on coupe forum.You live and learn :o

Glad you and others managed to survive your experiences.

xsport 26th August 2021 16:56

well i suppose its a bit like the brake lights failing on the way down for mot or during the mot. happened twice to me on different cars. just as well in your case it happened when it did . ... :duh: