The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Webasto heater problems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298321)

macafee2 16th August 2019 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan.timms (Post 2755241)
Thanks for all the info. Update!
Yes, my memory is shocking - if it happened after 1975 I'm in trouble . . . .

I just remembered, the Webasto worked fine for years, then died and I had it replaced with one from eBay last year - I'm wondering if it's a different type, and this is the root of the problem? How do I tell, please? There are two plugs on the Webasto: one has 2 wires - black and orange. The other has three wires in a line left to right - blue, white, grey/green, and a 4th brown below the blue. The blue has been cut, and connected to a (green!) wire that has been added, going through the illuminated switch to earth. I did say I have memory problems :-(

The unit fires up, heats for 10 minutes then switches itself off if I press the switch, but the illuminated switch was half coming on sporadically - it now stays on "dim" all the time, irrespective of the ignition switch. There is no separate supply - the light is in the switch, and illuminates when it is "on". Is there a fuse I can remove as a temporary solution?

I'm not able to do much myself, and am having trouble finding an electrician to look at it - is there anyone I can pay to sort it if I come to you, please?
I think the satnav (yes, it was a typo!) issue is unrelated - the satnav wire plugs into a cigarette lighter socket wired to the battery, but this is dangling on top of the plastic cover above the pedals, next to the place where the Webasto switch is mounted, so maybe I disturbed it trying to investigate the Webasto?

on the side of the webasto should be a sticker with the model number, post the model number here for advice on which pin to earth.

I'd be tempted to disconnect all "add on's" so the FBH can be tested as a stand alone item.

macafee2

macafee2 16th August 2019 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan.timms (Post 2755241)
Thanks for all the info. Update!
Yes, my memory is shocking - if it happened after 1975 I'm in trouble . . . .

I just remembered, the Webasto worked fine for years, then died and I had it replaced with one from eBay last year - I'm wondering if it's a different type, and this is the root of the problem? How do I tell, please? There are two plugs on the Webasto: one has 2 wires - black and orange. The other has three wires in a line left to right - blue, white, grey/green, and a 4th brown below the blue. The blue has been cut, and connected to a (green!) wire that has been added, going through the illuminated switch to earth. I did say I have memory problems :-(

The unit fires up, heats for 10 minutes then switches itself off if I press the switch, but the illuminated switch was half coming on sporadically - it now stays on "dim" all the time, irrespective of the ignition switch. There is no separate supply - the light is in the switch, and illuminates when it is "on". Is there a fuse I can remove as a temporary solution?

I'm not able to do much myself, and am having trouble finding an electrician to look at it - is there anyone I can pay to sort it if I come to you, please?
I think the satnav (yes, it was a typo!) issue is unrelated - the satnav wire plugs into a cigarette lighter socket wired to the battery, but this is dangling on top of the plastic cover above the pedals, next to the place where the Webasto switch is mounted, so maybe I disturbed it trying to investigate the Webasto?

pm sent

macafee2

trebor 16th August 2019 08:59

If you can get yourself to the next nano Meet we can sort it free of charge, re post above its not pin 6 as that's the dosing pump, early FBHs are pin 1 to live to start as a parking heater and may even have a 5 minute
delay before pin 4 becomes active as they were designed to do to bring on the ATC, the later FBHs as said above need pin 3 to earth to start as a parking heater and pin 4 will become live only when the FBH is on

bl52krz 16th August 2019 09:18

You really need to have a talk to Devilish. Drop him a p.m through the club site. He is the local expert along with Trebor. He/ they will tell you everything about the fbh you want to know.Devilish fitted my friends switch, while Trebor fitted mine. Experts.
Trebor beat me to it. Nice ride out from Wisbech to the nano. Dates 14 and15th of September.If you want there are plenty of places to stay for the night local. Come and meet some enthusiastic members..

Arctic 16th August 2019 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2755293)
You really need to have a talk to Devilish. Drop him a p.m through the club site. He is the local expert along with Trebor. He/ they will tell you everything about the fbh you want to know.Devilish fitted my friends switch, while Trebor fitted mine. Experts.
Trebor beat me to it. Nice ride out from Wisbech to the nano.
Quote:

Dates 14 and15th of September.If you want there are plenty of places to stay for the night local. Come and meet some enthusiastic members..

Here is the link to the Nano meet for September I put it up yesterday

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=298399

alan.timms 16th August 2019 12:00

Thanks for the info. McAfee2 is in my area next week and may be able to help, but I'll try to get to the meeting, even if it's sorted - it would be good to meet someone else that loves Rover 75's!

trebor 16th August 2019 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan.timms (Post 2755328)
Thanks for the info. McAfee2 is in my area next week and may be able to help, but I'll try to get to the meeting, even if it's sorted - it would be good to meet someone else that loves Rover 75's!

well if you dont get it sorted, happy to take a look if you make the nano meet

alan.timms 17th August 2019 10:50

The Webasto label says:
top:e1 then 021232
under the bar code: Nr. 1B268954
2003 2004
My memory doesn't work properly, but I'm pretty sure the issues started when I had the broken Webasto swapped, so it seems logical the replacement is a different type.

macafee2 17th August 2019 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan.timms (Post 2755586)
The Webasto label says:
top:e1 then 021232
under the bar code: Nr. 1B268954
2003 2004
My memory doesn't work properly, but I'm pretty sure the issues started when I had the broken Webasto swapped, so it seems logical the replacement is a different type.

pm sent asking for another line on label to be checked as well as the end of the fbh

macafee2

alan.timms 18th August 2019 08:26

I managed to get to the labels!
Rover 75 JEC 104590, Artikel No: 98570B
My wiring has been altered - the blue wire from the plug has been cut and goes to an illuminated earth switch. Did this suit my original unit, but not the current one? If so, how should it be wired, please?