The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   B operation (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297755)

charlie 22 25th July 2019 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2750284)
Ahh. When that was done, I wonder whether the cooling system was filled and bled according to the specific MG Rover procedure. If not, you may well have some air remaining which is known to cause level variations at the very least.

Simon

They are ex rover dealer mechanics so assume they followed the MG Rover procedure.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

SD1too 25th July 2019 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie 22 (Post 2750297)
They are ex rover dealer mechanics ...

Everybody seems to be these days! :D
Quote:

... so assume they followed the MG Rover procedure.
You assume but of course you don't know and neither do I so the sensible assumption is that they didn't. You can rectify that now. Drain your cooling system and refill and bleed it according to the MGR procedure. I can post it for you if you like.

Simon

charlie 22 25th July 2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2750388)
Everybody seems to be these days! :D

You assume but of course you don't know and neither do I so the sensible assumption is that they didn't. You can rectify that now. Drain your cooling system and refill and bleed it according to the MGR procedure. I can post it for you if you like.

Simon

Ok will do. That would if you could. Many thanks.

SD1too 26th July 2019 08:10

MGR filling and bleeding procedurefor the KV6 engine.

See how you get on with that Charlie, and make sure that you follow it exactly, no missing bits out! ;)

Simon

COLVERT 26th July 2019 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2750013)
It's not a silly question Charlie and the answer is no, it shouldn't.

That tells us that you have a fault. The KV6 should run below 100 degrees C. I suggest that you perform the 'demist test' immediately. With the engine running from cold, press the 'windscreen demist' button on the air con./heater control panel. Now get out of the car and walk to the radiator grille. Is the fan running continuously?

Whilst you're there, can you see a rectangular silver resistor on the fan shrouding at about the two o'clock position?

Charlie, you must take action immediately on this. Your engine is getting too hot. Please report back.

Simon

So should your first answer, Simon, say YES it's possible.--( Heat soak condition. )

SD1too 26th July 2019 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2750468)
So should your first answer, Simon, say YES it's possible.--( Heat soak condition. )

Thank you for raising this point Jon. Charlie didn't ask if it was "possible", he said "should the fan keep going", questioning whether this is to be expected on a properly functioning engine.
The clue is actually in my first response:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2750013)
The KV6 should run below 100 degrees C ... Your engine is getting too hot.

You'll see from the RAVE chart posted by T-Cut that Charlie's coolant temperature had apparently increased beyond 112 degrees (the trigger point for maximum fan speed). That is a clear sign of overheating. The cause of this is currently under investigation.

So the answer to Charlie's original question ...
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie 22 (Post 2750003)
... should the fan keep going after the engine has been switched off.

... remains no. The engine should not have reached such a high temperature in the first place. There is a fault.

I hope that makes more sense but please get back to me if it's still not clear.

Simon

Dorset Bob 26th July 2019 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2750492)
Thank you for raising this point Jon. Charlie didn't ask if it was "possible", he said "should the fan keep going", questioning whether this is to be expected on a properly functioning engine.
The clue is actually in my first response:

You'll see from the RAVE chart posted by T-Cut that Charlie's coolant temperature had apparently increased beyond 112 degrees (the trigger point for maximum fan speed). That is a clear sign of overheating. The cause of this is currently under investigation.

So the answer to Charlie's original question ...

... remains no. The engine should not have reached such a high temperature in the first place. There is a fault.

I hope that makes more sense but please get back to me if it's still not clear.

Simon

It would be clear if the OP is experiencing fan operation, on engine shut down, as a usual course of events.
However the question is:-

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie 22 (Post 2750003)
Sorry if this is a silly question but on my kv6, and with this very hot weather should the fan keep going after the engine has been switched off?....................

I certainly have experienced this in hot weather.
If you have a look at data provided by T-Cut it is what the system is designed to do. ;)

T-Cut 26th July 2019 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2750523)
If you have a look at data provided by T-Cut it is what the system is designed to do. ;)

Correct. I recall my Mk2/2-speed doing this after a very brisk run/warm weather. There was nothing wrong - as such - anywhere.

TC

COLVERT 27th July 2019 09:54

I believe this to be a sound design idea and not just with the R75.

I have a HONDA 1,000cc motorbike that during this hot weather, does this fan running on after the ignition is switched off. The engine is in perfect condition and has had no faults.--:D

Dorset Bob 28th July 2019 10:35

My Triumph 955i Daytona does that too, in hot conditions.

Prior to my Rover 75 days, I ran an MGF as a daily driver.
That did it too. I remember driving from the West to the East coast of Spain, in mid summer, and the fan continued to run every time I shut the engine down.
I think those ones are set for 8 minutes.

As said, it is a common feature on vehicles, not just the Rover 75.