The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Lower wishbone bush crisis (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300852)

Shonkie 16th November 2019 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonkie (Post 2776011)
Hi all,
today I attempted to remove and replace the worn and knocking bush.
I have experience in working with mechanical things as I am working on two motorcycles but this job tested me and the bush is unbolted but stuck to the wishbone. A b****r of a job which is still not finished so my car is sat on the road in the dark being held up by one axle stand.
Is anyone able assist me in getting this finished.
I am prepared to give money or beer.

Thanks in advance,
Simone.

P.s. I'm in Plymouth.

No disrespect to anyone but when I asked for assistance I meant actual physical assistance ie someone being here.
I understand written help is useful but I can't do this. :( I've tried but I am really struggling.

roverbarmy 16th November 2019 18:08

Looks like its off (Facebook). Bottom ball joint goosed too!

patrolman pete 16th November 2019 18:19

Yeah , just spotted that myself. At least fitting a full arm and bush should be straight forward although those rear bolts can be a bit of a tinker. Been there and done that so only use quality parts if you don't want a repeat next year.

COLVERT 16th November 2019 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2776222)
Looks like its off (Facebook). Bottom ball joint goosed too!

Excuse me. Where do I find this ??--( Facebook. 0

roverbarmy 16th November 2019 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2776240)
Excuse me. Where do I find this ??--( Facebook. 0

MG Rover 75 & ZT Owners Group on Facebook

RogerHeinz57 17th November 2019 09:03

I find it hard sometimes to read these types of post as I've been in similar positions, and helped plenty of others in similar predicaments where possible. It does prove the wealth of observations and techniques on how folks do things and how sometimes these cars push us to the edge of our limits.
So the member removed the item in the end, but was no better off in the long run based on the fact of the joint being passed it, surely you don't save time leaving the arm in situ to replace the bush ?
A few more bits to undo, then its off and can have all kinds of techniques applied to remove even the worst of bushes - Just my observation and not looking for praise or recognition, just simply stating something obvious !
But here is the bottom line for jobs like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHUbtR0yI8

roverbarmy 17th November 2019 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 (Post 2776322)
, surely you don't save time leaving the arm in situ to replace the bush ?
A few more bits to undo, then its off

If it can be done without disturbing the lower ball joint and the lower strut clamp ( both of which can be a mare to remove and assuming that they were serviceable ),then I would just remove the bush but it is personal choice. In this case, the ball joint needed replacing, so the arm had to come off in the end.:shrug:

Russel 17th November 2019 23:14

I have been luck with help but if there is no one in your area to help surely written help is better then non is it not ????

patrolman pete 18th November 2019 08:50

Re - reading his post , I've realised that he wanted someone to remove it from the car for him. His Facebook post stated that a mobile mechanic had to be called to remove it and noticed a ball joint was worn so it would have been a waste of time just knocking off the bush.

Mike Noc 18th November 2019 09:26

Personally I check everything to see what needs doing before starting the job, and if it is just the bush that needs replacing then I find it easier and quicker to leave the arm in place - with the right tools they are a doddle, but each to their own. :}