The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Radio reception issues with double din (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71094)

madone 15th November 2010 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 618023)
Visited Halfords, and whilst browsing, I spotted one of these: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165626 It's described as an Amplified Antenna ISO Adapter and is used "to seperate/feed 12v from/to amplified roof aerials".

I thought it would be worth a try (I could always return it if no good), and didn't expect much, but to my surprise, it has made a significant improvement. The item does not amplify anything (as CDTi has said before), but is some form of filter.

I now have the rear screen aerial feeding both radio and TMC via a splitter, and reception is a little fuzzy (occassional stereo drop outs, and some background hiss), but overall not too bad. Without the splitter (i.e no signal to the TMC unit), reception is spot on. Previously, the radio was completely unusabe with the splitter installed, and without the splitter still a little worse than it is now with the splitter (if you get my drift). I guess the perfect solution would be one of these filters, together with a seperate antenna for TMC.

I must admit, I'm not too sure precisely what it is this filter is removing from my signal, but whatever it is, the difference is quite dramatic. £14.99 from Halfords, or about half that price if bought elsewhere on line.

I would be interested to hear anyones views on what these filters actually do.

Cliff

Thats the exact one I exchanged at Halfords for the independent useless aerial on Saturday and like you I thought it made a difference. However I now need a new splitter to fully test. My initial thougts were it improved reception but unable to fully test. See here.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=69786&page=22

norbury brook 15th November 2010 21:11

Me too, I've ordered a splitter cable too.I'll keep you all posted :D

Marcus

ripwinder 16th November 2010 19:33

Hi,

Did you manage to test this with a splitter. Also how did this connect up to you unit, did you have to use an adapter?

Cheers,

RW.

norbury brook 16th November 2010 19:42

I'm still waiting for the bit's to arrive and I'm away working for a while so it won't be done imminently.

marcus

Mr Edd 17th November 2010 07:44

Sorry for the numpty question but I find this stuff so confusing.

I don't have very good reception on Sean's 2-Din head unit. Whistles on AM and fuzzy on FM. I have no idea what TMC is and I don't think I have it in my unit as it was the one that came out a few months back. I don't have the Diversity amp either. I do have power to the little box near the rear screen.

When reading these threads there seems to be so many opinions at loggerheads. Is there a definitive answer to the proverbial question... Will one of these filters work on my radio and improve the signal???

I was looking at the one provided by Halfords and then at the list of them on eBay and then the comments on here about how good/rubbish they are. Then the confusion as to how it is powered? Do I connect the blue cable to anything and what do I connect it to if I do?

I am a simple soul who just wants life to work but I don't know what I have to plug my index finger into to light my fire? :shrug:

Edd :confused:

HarryM1BYT 17th November 2010 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Edd (Post 619284)
When reading these threads there seems to be so many opinions at loggerheads. Is there a definitive answer to the proverbial question... Will one of these filters work on my radio and improve the signal???

Edd :confused:

Hi Edd,

You don't seem to be having that much luck with your DD....

I wish I lived nearer to you, I'd be happy to check it out.

My AM reception is mostly just buzzes and noise. FM is really not too bad, even using the splitter to also feed the TMC's input. My thoughts without really doing much in the way of experimentation, is that a stronger signal input will improve it - So I'm just waiting until some of those who have bought one of these filter / amps give a thumbs up, before ordering one myself.

Both the ebay and the Halfords descriptions seem so very confused as to what the item is actually supposed to do - which is never a good sign.

Mr Edd 17th November 2010 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 619519)
Hi Edd,

You don't seem to be having that much luck with your DD....

Well to be honest it sounds fantastic when playing CD's DVD's and MPEGs and the sound from the radio is okayish but gets interference when in low signal areas. However when I had the old Harmony unit in I never had any issues except when I drove long distances and then I would have to find a local signal for the same radio station. I figured that was normal.

This new unit seems to loose the signal just passing down a crowded street not far from home. It comes back after a few hundred yards or so. and it seems other owners are having the same problems.

The frustrating thing is there doesn't seem to be any comments from Sean or is other helpers regarding what wires should be connected to wherever etc.. I get the impression that they are only interested if you are going to spend more money with them.

Sorry :shrug:

Thanks for your offer anyway.

Edd

Radioguy 17th November 2010 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Edd (Post 619702)
Well to be honest it sounds fantastic when playing CD's DVD's and MPEGs and the sound from the radio is okayish but gets interference when in low signal areas. However when I had the old Harmony unit in I never had any issues except when I drove long distances and then I would have to find a local signal for the same radio station. I figured that was normal.

This new unit seems to loose the signal just passing down a crowded street not far from home. It comes back after a few hundred yards or so. and it seems other owners are having the same problems.

The frustrating thing is there doesn't seem to be any comments from Sean or is other helpers regarding what wires should be connected to wherever etc.. I get the impression that they are only interested if you are going to spend more money with them.

Sorry :shrug:

Thanks for your offer anyway.

Edd

Mr Edd,

Thanks for your Input, I have taken a Poll and Sent to the factory with all of the information and Suggestions, I am waiting for the Engineers to get back. I follow it up Every day. I Do NOT Want to GUESS or SUrmise or Send out parts and Pieces that may or may not solve the problem.

Here is a Link at Post 21 on October 29th http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4&postcount=21

Where I asked for Emails and received 7 responses over about 1 Week. Which I Compiled and sent. (There was not one from you)

Frankly, I resent what you said about only if spending Money and I think the good members here will agree. I am in the process of helping 3 Members that did not even buy from me. I also asked you on 2 different occasions to Upgrade your DVB-T receiver AT NO COST TO YOU but you did not even respond to me.

I appreciate your input here on this unit but I assure you that I am behind each and every one. I just at times need factory input. It is they that hold the warranty. I deal with the things that I can deal with.

Sean

Mr Edd 18th November 2010 07:28

Oops???

I didn't realise your offer was at no cost. I even bought another DVB-T to try without luck. I have now given up on the DVB-T as I am under the impression that the problem is with my car not having the diversity amp. I have had two members check and there is power to the amp I do have and the screen aerial is intact and works fine. I am guessing the issue is with the way the unit receives and interprets the signal

The main problem is these threads get so long and cumbersome and confusing for someone who doesn't understand electrics. It's easier to just count the cost as a loss and walk away.

I see many commenting on connecting various wires but very little on which wire and to what and using simple step by step methods? What may seem simple to some could be very complicated to others.

And as I said above I think the unit is fantastic except I don't get very good reception on the radio and none for the DVB-T box and it seems some others are in the same boat.

At least I am not alone. :shrug:

Sorry

Edd

sratansi 18th November 2010 10:45

reading about all the issues with the TMC, i quite happy to install mine without the need of the TMC. Will i still get reception problems on my Radio? Personally for me the Sat Nav, blue tooth, and ability to connect an IPOD/Phone to the unit is perfect for me. Maybe in the future I might get a better Ariel installed for the TMC, but currently am happy to install it without it.