Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th June 2015, 20:20   #1
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Default Sounds horrible, TF issue today?

On the way to the King's Lynn meet today in my TF160, just 5 miles into journey when K series engine just started making horrendous noise. Sounded like something dragging on ground, but checked and nothing dragging.

Nursed car back home and fairly sure it was firing on just 3 with noise smoothing out a fraction at higher revs, not that I was going to rev it under such circumstances.

Pulled into a garage forecourt immediately after car started making noise.
Lone mechanic working on his own car listened and said it sounded dreadful and suggested it might of dropped a valve?

Oil and coolant thankfully normal and no warning lights.

Here's a clip of car on drive at idle earlier tonight. Just click on it and it will go into my photobucket account and start playing (hopefully)

All advice and comment welcome. Appreciate it's not a 75/ZT but aware of much accumulated K series knowledge amongst members on here

Think this could be the end of MGR ownership for me

Hope this video works

Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 22:04   #2
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Just a suggestion Mark, it may be better to do another video with the engine cover open and go from one end to the other to give people an idea of where the noise is coming from mate!

Hope you get it sorted!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 22:11   #3
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

It reminds me of when my father and I used to start an engine on the floor with no exhaust. It really sounds like the exhaust and cat has detached itself. Probably completely wrong, hope you get it fixed
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 21:05   #4
Weso

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Initial diagnosis by local garage where work is underway!

Engine mount has come adrift allowing engine to drop. Can only assume that this will cause damage to various other components especially exhaust/cat/ manifold related. Car was driven home about 4 miles in this state be it very slowly

Having viewed car in locked workshop tonight car is jacked up on drivers side if this might be a clue as to which engine mount it might be.

Mechanic I spoke to reckoned bolts were cross threaded and likely not fully tight

They are going to sort engine mount etc then assess any further damage..

Hoping to monitor progress closely.

Will keep this thread updated as and when I learn more

Thanks for all the advice thus far.
Old 30th June 2015, 23:48   #5
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Sorry to hear this, doesn't sound great, however if it does need a lot of work doing then I happen to have a TF160 very nearby with a perfect engine and drive train, beautiful and rare red interior (including the dash) and sadly lots of rust! Maybe we could make a good car between the 2 of them?
Old 1st July 2015, 11:24   #6
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Engine mount not properly fitted - sounds like my wife's car when we bough it. It had a service history from stadons in torquay, but whether they, or someone else had been at it, the car was a mess. At 70 k it had a new clutch apparently, well the rear subframe was half loose, bolts left snapped, untightened, engine belhousing bolts loose, side shield missing, even the stops inside the drivers door glass mechanism were missing.
There truly are some Cowboys out there, whether mgr cars suffer worse from these or not I don't know, and it may be people just wanting rid cheaply, but nothing surprises me anymore.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 13:27   #7
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Same happened to our TF.
The cambelt side big bolts on the engine mount came lose and one snapped, the engine dropped on that side and the crank pulley was spinning and rubbing on the subframe, it made a horrendous screeching noise. The pulley on the subframe stopped the engine from dropping any further so no other damage was done.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 13:29   #8
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
Initial diagnosis by local garage where work is underway!

Engine mount has come adrift allowing engine to drop. Can only assume that this will cause damage to various other components especially exhaust/cat/ manifold related. Car was driven home about 4 miles in this state be it very slowly

Having viewed car in locked workshop tonight car is jacked up on drivers side if this might be a clue as to which engine mount it might be.

Mechanic I spoke to reckoned bolts were cross threaded and likely not fully tight

They are going to sort engine mount etc then assess any further damage..

Hoping to monitor progress closely.

Will keep this thread updated as and when I learn more

Thanks for all the advice thus far.
Well as we discussed at the weekend mate, thankfully it's something external to the engine and not internal as you were thinking!

Let us know when it's sorted!
Old 4th July 2015, 21:22   #9
Weso

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Picked up the TF today, all done. No other damage beyond drivers side engine mount. Garages biggest concern was sourcing a replacement but they found one, put it all back together and car back to how it should be. In fact feels better than previous. Rear of car feels so much tighter.

As someone said on this thread, garage said the crankshaft pulley touching rear subframe rather saves the day, not withstanding noise it makes at the time.

Won't know the cost for a while yet, they get a bill to me in about 3 weeks and give me 4 weeks to pay it. Not a bad arrangement

At least I have a MGR to drive to next King's Lynn meet.

Thanks all your contributions
Old 5th July 2015, 09:59   #10
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Good news then Mark!