Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2010, 12:23   #1
CamberleyDunc

Rover 75 contemporary 04 plate

Default "charge Fault"

hello everyone, I'm new on the forum and I'm looking for advice

My Rover 75 2l Deisel Conetemporary 04 plate has on on board computer

I was driving home yesterday when it indicated "Charge fault" now managed to get home and the OBC by this time (10 miles further on) showing a circle with a positive and a negative on it (battery) and there was an arrow pointing to the negative....

I turned of the engine when i parked up and attempted to turn it on again but it just made a clicking noise. ANY IDEAS.

This morning I borrowed a neighbours battery and it still shows the same although it doesn't show the circle, just "charge fault" and I managed to drive a short distance and return home and the car re-started without a problem.

I'm going to replace my battery as it shows clear on the battery indicator and I read my manual and it shows that it needs to be replaced.

I'm still concerned though....any ideas what it may be? has anybody else had the same experience?

ANY help od opinion would be gratefully received....thanks
CamberleyDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 15:23   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

welcome along

just had a quick look in the manual...it comes on when the battery voltage is below 10v, but it goes off when it rises above 11v.

It recommends charging the battery, but I suspect a replacement may be the order of the day.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 15:52   #3
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberleyDunc View Post

I was driving home yesterday when it indicated "Charge fault" now managed to get home and the OBC by this time (10 miles further on) showing a circle with a positive and a negative on it (battery) and there was an arrow pointing to the negative....

I turned of the engine when i parked up and attempted to turn it on again but it just made a clicking noise. ANY IDEAS.

This morning I borrowed a neighbours battery and it still shows the same although it doesn't show the circle, just "charge fault" and I managed to drive a short distance and return home and the car re-started without a problem.

I'm going to replace my battery as it shows clear on the battery indicator and I read my manual and it shows that it needs to be replaced.

I'm still concerned though....any ideas what it may be? has anybody else had the same experience?

time for a new battery im afraid .

Last edited by Simon; 9th February 2010 at 17:53.. Reason: Fixed quote
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 15:56   #4
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberleyDunc View Post

time for a new battery im afraid .
Not necessary recharge your battery first and check that it is holding its charge
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Last edited by Simon; 9th February 2010 at 17:53.. Reason: Fixed quote
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 16:34   #5
hans.schaaper
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5 V6 auto

Fully charge the battery.
Start the car and measure the voltage using a digital multimeter.
Set to DC volts, it should measure 13.5 - 14.5 volts, rev the engine (2000 rpm).
Stop the engine and the voltage should drop to approx 12.5 Volts.
In other words the voltage with a running engine should be higher than when stopped.
If not, your alternator is faulty.
hans.schaaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 13:40   #6
happyarry

Rover 75 Conniseur Tourer CDTI

I have the same problem on my 2ltr cdti.
I have changed the alternator and had a new battery fitted but still have this intermittent fault.
I have driven over 500 miles everything works fine then the dreaded sign on the dash (low voltage). Stop the car switch off and it won't turn over or do anything even the radio loses all power and requires the reset code.
The car will start with jump leads and will run perfectly for weeks and then packs up.
Anybody have any ideas.
happyarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 18:57   #7
stevehotshot
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE tourer

Default battery drain

i'm on here myself reading posts to do with battery stuff. if you use the search box top right, and search battery drain.. there should be plenty to read to fry your brain...a multitude of faults could be responsible for your situation. I have my battery on charge as I write, but it says its fully charged, when, at 5.15pm today it wouldn't start the car. put jump leads on from mates car battery and away it goes. put on charge and within an hour charger says its ok. I will fit it in morning and put meter between battery + lead and its post to check if there is unacceptable drain. also start car and check battery voltage, both running and stopped, to see if alternator is adding what it should.....look for other posts on this subject, and see if other peoples symptoms ring any bells with you.
stevehotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 19:10   #8
okenora
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn CDT SE + intelligence pack

it is most likely a failed alternator so the battery never gets charged and runs itself flat powering the cars electrics. To do a quick check.....

fully charge the battery
measure the voltage it is holding, should be about 12v +/- a bit.
Start the car
Re-measure the battery voltage, should be about 13.5v or more
Anything less than 13.5v and your charging circuit is not working. Other than broken wires the most likely culprit is a fault in the alternator, most usually worn out brushes.

Either way, do not rush out and buy a new battery until the charge fault is fixed as you will simply ruin the new battery.

The indicator system on the battery assumes it is fitted in a fully functioning car, i.e. alternator working. If the alternator dies then the battery indicator can show the battery as needing replaced when all it really needs is a good charge.

Last edited by okenora; 30th October 2013 at 19:15..
okenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 13:31   #9
chris_h
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

Same thing happened to me a replacement alternator fixed it. When volatge was checked at tick over it was less than 12v even with the engine revving.
chris_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 13:40   #10
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Charge Fault

Also check that the battery negative lead is a good connection to the chassis
likewise the Positive side. A fully charged battery can be tested via a
'discharge test' performed by any reputable battery supplier in a matter of minutes. On the 75s the headlights will flash if you are trying to start it with an inadequate battery.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote