Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th October 2014, 20:25   #1
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Default Fitting Amplifier

I am just about to fit an Alpine MRP-F240 Amplifier.

Due to space constrictions I'm having to fit under passenger glove compartment. I appreciate fitting it there means no long runs with cables, but how can I best get to back of Double Din (Navall 2) from there. There are quite a few cables, so do I have to make my own holes, or is there a way through. By the Heater panels perhaps ?
I was hoping to wire up the Amp first and then pass cables through. I am lucky that I have had the cables to fit this position made up by 'Coolcat' So everything will fit
It would also appear that the only way to fit the Amp is sideways with the controls facing the side also, which would appear to make adjustments in situ rather difficult. I know we all hear differently, but can someone give me some ballpark figures to start with for this amp, so that I can have a starting point before I fit it up ?

Thank you

trimani (Alf)
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 02:00   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Hi Alf, if you are fitting a sub, have the appropriate channel (I am assuming it will be 3/4) switched to LP, this will prevent frequencies over 80hz reaching the sub.

Switch the other filter switch (again, assuming they are 1/2) to HP, this prevents all below 80hz reaching the speakers.

If it is at all possible, connect everything up before the final installation to make sure everything is operational. Even if this means that whilst the headunit is slightly out of the dash, and the wiring is loose in front of your console and dash. Doing it this way, will also allow you to test the settings of the amp. Before connecting/disconnecting the wiring make sure you have disconnected the battery (or relevant fuses)

Do not turn the gain to max, often this will allow distortion to creep into your speakers. If I recall, the technique for setting the gain is thus

Turn the gain to 0 or min. Turn your stereo on, I like to have my bass and treble controls set to 0, allowing me to tweak them to suit a particular track or disc. Now turn to max volume (although I always go one or two down from its max). This is where it will get loud lol. Start turning the gain screw until you hear distortion creeping into the speakers. (Again, I normally turn it back just slightly). This will be your gain control set. Doing it this way means, no matter how loud you adjust the volume, you should have no distortion, ergo less likely to damage the voice coils . You can then turn the stereo to a more normal volume, and adjust the bass EQ setting to your preferred taste. Disconnect it all again (remember disconnecting the battery or relevant fuse) and route the cabling being careful not to change your settings on the amp.

I am not exactly sure where the amp is going to be placed, but the cables shouldnt be too difficult, and will, I imagine be straightforward. They could be routed via the behind the carpet, across the bulkhead behind the dash and to the headunit.
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 05:44   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Hi guys,

Just so not to aid confusion here, I supplied the amp and the necessary wiring.
It is a four channel amp to drive the component door speakers in Alf's car front and rear, not a subwoofer

Alf, once you go from the amp under the fuse box cover you can run the cables up into the centre console very easily from the side vent panel.
I'll take a photo when I go out to the car to leave for work so you can see where I mean

The amp needs to be running full range so do 'not' set to LPF or HPF as you will want full range sound to reach your speakers, adjust the gain controls as the previous poster explained

Last edited by coolcat; 27th October 2014 at 05:51..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 08:26   #4
trimani
Passed Away

Hi clf & Sir Jeff

Fantastic and very thorough set up information.

As Sir Jeff has said, he has supplied the Amplifier and 'Custom Made' wiring. Cracking Job.

Now I have got the basics of a start, I will begin.

Any pictures would be helpfull Sir Jeff.

Hopefully this thread will be of use to other members.

To be continued......................

Cheers

trimani (Alf)
Old 27th October 2014, 10:45   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Hope this helps Alf,

Feed the cables through where my hand is showing and it will help if you have someone else to reach down into the centre console when the head unit is removed and pull them up whilst being fed through

Last edited by coolcat; 27th October 2014 at 10:48..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 23:20   #6
trimani
Passed Away

Thanks Sir Jeff

That will give me a good start. Nice pictures.

I will post up progress as I go, but I can't rush

Cheers

trimani (Alf)