Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2018, 10:21   #1
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Default Rover 75 wing respray

My dad had a slight accident yesterday where someone backed into him, putting a small dent into the front of the offside wing and rubbing the paint down to the primer.

We went to a local bodyshop has quoted £300 + VAT to fix the dent and respray it. Not sure if that’s normal, does sound quite a lot though? ..

So I wondered if that was the best thing to do, not really about the cost as the culprit has said he will pay for it, but whether the resprayed wing would blend in with the rest of the (15 year old) paintwork. It’s british racing green metallic (HFF?).

So I thought of getting a used wing and found one on ebay for £60, however the seller says it’s scratched and probably needs repspraying so that’s a bit pointless.

But then I asked on parts gateway and one response (amazon spares) said they can deliver a wing including respraying in the correct colour for £115.

So as fitting is fairly straightforward I wonder if that would be a better option. Even though it seems we will have to fit a resprayed wing (unless anyone on here has a suitable one), would it be better to fit one that’s not been dented.. the dent isn’t that bad but I presume after it’s popped out they will need to use a bit of filler to smooth it over.

The only thing with ordering the one off parts gateway is if the paint finish isn’t great or doesn’t match, we can’t really do much about it.

Not really sure what to do .. any ideas/opinions? .. maybe we will just take it to the bodyshop as it’s less hassle..
rikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 10:37   #2
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Had a simular thing a couple of years ago. It wasn't the wing it was the rear bumper. I got one in good condition from a breakers. It was the wrong colour but needed painting anyway. A bodyshop near me painted it for £100 cash. So it cost a total of £150.

You should be able to get a wing for £25 - £30 doesn't matter on colour as you will be painting it. Just get one with no damage. Then ask a couple of paint shops how much for a cash job. If you really want no hastle go with the original bodyshop as long as you know they do a good job.

Regards John
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 10:45   #3
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Personally, I'd let the bodyshop sort it, especially if someone else is paying. They'll likely blend the paint into adjacent panels so the repair should be invisible once complete.

As for the cost, it can vary wildly dependent upon the bodyshop. I had a couple of small dents (on two different panels) removed and repainted last year, and quotes ranged from £120 to a lot more than you've been quoted! In the end, I went for the more expensive estimate and the repairs are faultless, you'd never know the panels had been damaged in any way .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 10:53   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Richard.
Ask the traders on here whom have cars for spares, they may well have the colour you are after and in decent condition,
Mickyboy
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/p...=newpm&u=26070

Cossie Dunc
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/p...=newpm&u=26070

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 11:47   #5
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

This is probably the fourth time any answers by me have gone missing,

I suggested he try Chips away.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 12:02   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Cheapest option is a secondhand wing in the correct colour - very easy to replace as they just bolt on.

Last one I bought was around 20 quid, and it was a very good colour match - Copperleaf red, although saying that I am a bit colour blind.

If whoever caused the damage is going through their insurance, then why not show them the garage quote and then just charge them what they would lose in their excess in cash?

Usually around £200 so you would have plenty to play with, including a respray if the paint match isn't good, and he'll be happy as he won't have to make a claim.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 18th January 2018 at 08:45..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 12:59   #7
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Thanks for the replies, some good ideas there, I'll have a think about what to do.
Old 17th January 2018, 13:07   #8
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Actually another reason why I would prefer a good used one is that I've had bad experiences with resprays. Maybe some are better but I've had two bonnets resprayed and within a couple of years the lacquer started to peel off, one of them was when using a jet wash, but that's never happened on the original paint. Has anyone else experienced that problem or is it just that the places I went to were incompetent?
Old 17th January 2018, 14:14   #9
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I recently had a rear bumper sprayed and it cost me £100 cash... Was a pretty decent job.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 06:51   #10
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Getting a part painted off a car is usually a lot cheaper as there is no masking and is a lot easier to handle. Loose parts will often cost about £100 to £150 per item and on the vehicle the cost usually doubles. The thing to be careful of having awing painted off a car they will probably do it with the ling lying down where as when the car was painted originally it was vertical, this is more relevant on metallic but if you are after a perfect match something to watch out for.

As far a buying used parts in the correct colour goes just beware most colours have at least 3 shades and in some cases a lot more and when side by side it can be dramatic, it never seems so bad on a bumper but on a wing or door just seems to look a lot worse for some reason.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote