Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd May 2024, 08:21   #1
sean75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6

Default Knocking/rattling engine noise

Hello all,

I decided to get my 75 back on the road after a 5 year lay up in the garage. During this time I have occasionally run the engine and a/c without any issues. When I drove down to the garage to have the work done , coolant replaced brakes checked and general service , oil not done on this occasion as last done 2019 and has only done 500miles since, the engine was as usual whisper quiet. The car was with the garage a week and tested on Monday and passed. the only issues were a sticking brake caliper with a seized bleed nipple( replaced) .

Picked car up on Tuesday and was asked if I noticed had noticed it rattling when cold as when it was took for the test this was evident, I had not had any problem like this since before 2010 and this was solved when the belts and water pump were changed. I started up and sure enough the engine sound like a bag of nails, totally different to what it was like a week previously. The garage reckons its the variable intake manifold so I had a listen when I got home and it certainly didn't sound like the noise I've heard on other intake manifolds that have ceased normal operation.

I took the car back yesterday and explained that the noise had not gone away and sounded like it was coming from belt side.

Having phoned this morning he now says that it'll need more investigation , starting with belt and associated tensioners , idlers, other pulleys and possibly the engine internals.

Seems I'm looking at the possibility of a big problem.

I'll keep you posted and fingers ( and everything crossable) crossed.

BW

Sean
sean75 is offline   Reply With Quote