Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2016, 16:54   #1
Frogmella
Loves to post

2003 (03) Pre-Facelift 1.8 Club SE Auto Petrol Non Turbo Saloon

Default Crankshaft Pulley Removal

One of the jobs that will need doing asap on my much neglected (by previous owners) 75 is a replacement of the timing belt, aux belt and probably the water pump while I've got it stripped.

Been reading Haynes and it talks about getting an assistant to put the car in top gear and press the brake pedal while undoing the crankshaft pulley bolt. Mine is an automatic? What is the procedure?

Secondly, I am concerned about the tightness (205nM) of the pulley bolt, given that today I had to resort to an electric impact wrench just to get the oil sump plug out, is there room enough to get a breaker bar on it? Can I use my impact wrench if neccesary (its always a last resort)?

Every bolt I've had to undo so far has been welded in place by neglect. My back can't take much more of this.

As always, thanks in advance for any advice.
Frogmella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 17:03   #2
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmella View Post
One of the jobs that will need doing asap on my much neglected (by previous owners) 75 is a replacement of the timing belt, aux belt and probably the water pump while I've got it stripped.

Been reading Haynes and it talks about getting an assistant to put the car in top gear and press the brake pedal while undoing the crankshaft pulley bolt. Mine is an automatic? What is the procedure?

Secondly, I am concerned about the tightness (205nM) of the pulley bolt, given that today I had to resort to an electric impact wrench just to get the oil sump plug out, is there room enough to get a breaker bar on it? Can I use my impact wrench if neccesary (its always a last resort)?

Every bolt I've had to undo so far has been welded in place by neglect. My back can't take much more of this.

As always, thanks in advance for any advice.
You will get a breaker bar in with the wheel off, although and impact gun will probably work better.
I've always been told that using in impact gun to remove them is ok if it really wont budge but they should never be put back on with an impact gun, this is certainly true for Honda's anyway.

Automatic is as simple as leaving the car in park.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 19:26   #3
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Remove the starter, put a 1/2" extension bar through the hole in the block casting and into a recess in the flywheel like this:

The flywheel on the auto may be different, but the approach would be the same.
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 19:50   #4
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Well I am confused now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Remove the starter, put a 1/2" extension bar through the hole in the block casting and into a recess in the flywheel like this:

The flywheel on the auto may be different, but the approach would be the same.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 20:44   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

There is a mountain of info on how to remove the crank pulley in the search feature above.

DO NOT try to lock the crank as advised above. The impact by doing it this way can very easily damage the crankshaft and then you are really in the poo.

There is a tool that locks onto the pulley so that you can safely use an impact hammer.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 21:37   #6
ballymenaman
Avid contributor

75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 Auto, Rover 45, classic mini and E Niro

I used a cordless electric impact wrench. Worked a treat with no movement at all of the crank pulley. Mine is an auto too.
ballymenaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2024, 09:05   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Just my experience with my cdti auto
Bought a new cortetco about 4-5 years ago, just in case ,as had noticed a vibration at around 1800-2000 rpm.

Since then had a few goes at shifting the crank bolt.
Using a locking tool each time couldn't shift with a 2ft bar.
Then bought a 980nm DeWalt impact gun, used this a few times with no luck, and my last go last year I used a long pipe over my breaker bar, and just snapped the 1/2 drive clean off.
So still got the pulley and a vibration
I want to try my Dewalt gun on your pulley bolt, it hasn't failed yet to remove one!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 8th May 2024, 12:52   #8
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

When I changed mine I tried all sorts of tools including a 3/4" drive air, also heating the bolt but all to no avail, in the end a truck owner friend lent me his 1" drive Milwaukee M18 impact driver which can use up to 2711 Nm of torque to undo difficult nuts or bolts.
The engine didn't even need to be locked to stop it moving, it was a couple of seconds of pure joy and the bolt was out, maybe overkill but not if it does the job
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2024, 06:33   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Done a couple of these - home made locking tool, 3/4 drive socket, good quality breaker bar and a 5ft bit of scaffold pipe work a treat!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote